Florida Superthread

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Mad Hattah, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a sample of current MLS pros from Florida:

Eddie Johnson (Palm Bay?)
    Jozy Altidore (Ft Lauderdale)
    Bobby Boswell (Plant City)
    Dax McCarty (Winter Park)
    Nate Sturgis (St Augustine)

I am sure there are more. I don't think the list of Bradenton graduates count.

2. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Anthony Wallace (St. Petersburg) - FC Dallas

3. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    if we were to get a team in florida, i think we have to re-instate either the mutiny or Miami FC i don't think any other area would stand a chance.
    opinoins?

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa or Miami/Ft Lauderdale probably have the population to make a MLS work. Places like Jacksonville and Orlando would be 2nd choices.

5. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Just bring back the Tampa Bay Rowdies and be done with it. After we get the investors and the SSS lined up of course. :) Rodney Marsh and the Corbetts will not stand in the way, quite the contrary.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Miami Fusion FC. :)

-G

7. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    yeah the rowdies still have a big fanbase here

as for tampa and miami, which one gets a team first. miami will say that they have a big spanish population, but they cant even support their USL team.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Too bad they're not professional soccer fans.

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the debate is which Florida city, Tampa has proven it is head and shoulders above Miami in terms of coming out to the ground to support the team.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If the Mutiny had played in Fort Meyers, I'm not sure their support would've been better than what the Fusion got playing in Fort Lauderdale.

To be honest, I don't see Florida as being a "failed" MLS market. The only real crime that the Fusion and Mutiny made was in not being owned by big investors. MLS had a real catch-22. They needed league owned teams in order to get off the ground. Without them, the league may never have started. And giving the undercapitalized Horowitz and expansion team forced an unfortunate lesson. When the league finally was forced to put itself on a stronger financial footing, those just happened to be the two teams without chairs when the music stopped.

Neither team "failed". The business operations beneath them are what failed.

I don't think there are any "magic bullets" to making MLS succeed at this point. I'm guessing there are a good 50 or more markets in the U.S. and Canada that could support a team given committed ownership and a stadium.

I don't think any experiences with the USL or NASL are relevant. I'm not sure that even the experience of the Mutiny or Fusion is even relevant. The landscape for professional soccer in this country has changed a great deal in just the last five years.

I also don't see any particular reason for any Miama vs Tampa thing.

11. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I would LOVE to get a team back in tampa!!! Actually, I would love it even more in ft myers since I live there, perhaps the new FGCU stadium and having only a team here you would get people from Miami and Tampa since it is in the middle, just a thought, will only happen in my dreams though, because I could get to a MLS soccer game in 5 minutes from my house, but anyways there needs to be a team in florida again!!

12. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    question for you.
    if there were to be a team in tampa, would you be willing to drive here and go to the games?

13. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Most definatly, it's only about a two hour drive and I went to I'd probably say like 10-15 Tampa Bay Mutiny home games a year back when they existed, I would go to at least that many with another opportunity.

14. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

wow thats a damn good post.........i thought these weren't allowed on BS :rolleyes:

On a side note, this whole Miami vs Tampa dispute reminds me a lot of the LA vs BayArea thing, but in this case, both cities have no team:(

15. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    that's another thing, LA has two teams in the same stadium, can't you be satisfied with one?

and NY is begging for another team, but they can't get anyone to come to their games in the first place.

16. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    As much as I would like to see a team in Tampa again, I would rather see profitable city (cities) get teams first. The more profitable teams there are, the better for US soccer and probably better for smaller markets.

That being said, I'm pretty sure (dare I say 95% confident) that a team will eventually come to Tampa. It may be awhile since a SSS would probably be needed to block out the elements (and to be profitable).

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as:

[​IMG]

19. futbol_fan88

futbol_fan88 New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I dont care where in Florida, but the MLS needs a team here. There is a huge soccer fan base here and i think a professional soccer team would draw good revenue. Miami and Tampa would be the ideal places for a team but orlando or jacksonville might work as well. And I understand Tampa and Miami once did have teams and that they were failures but times have changed.

20. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    What if it ended up in Dixie County? I bet you'd care then.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the next couple of years their will be a MLS team..either in the Tampa/St.Pete area or Orlando

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    cant wait for a tampa-miami rivalry:)

24. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe someone who lived during the "olden days" can tell you what it was like way back in 2000.

25. EconBallar

EconBallar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I heard the attendance wasn't bad for the Mutiny... at least not compared to the Red Bulls and Kansas City or even Columbus.