Florida State

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by David, Aug 17, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    I truly admire the FSU sports information department. I suspect that their aggressive, football like approach, to covering women's soccer has something to do with the Buzz's preseason ranking putting them ahead of Clemson when the ACC soccer coaches had the order flipped. And, all those "firsts" gives me something that I can make fun of. Of course, preseason polls are a bit silly. Nonetheless, I've quoted the latest FSU release below, and realize that not only is this the FIRST time FSU has achieved a preseason top 10 ranking, but it is also the FIRST FSU Preseason Sports Information Media release that could announce that FSU achieved a preseason top 10 ranking for the first time. WOW, two FIRSTS and the season hasn't started. Ooops, I'm wrong. They've already announced that two of their freshman are the FIRST FSU signees from California--another program FIRST goes in the record book.

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - If the calendar reads August it must mean it is once again time for Florida State soccer to start establishing program firsts and records. After setting more than 130 records and firsts over the past two seasons, the Seminoles started compiling a new list for 2002 when they received their first-ever Top 10 preseason ranking Saturday. ..."

2. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Good stuff David.

I can see it now. FSU won their first game ever in the rain after trailing when the sun was shining.

3. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Now ... Since when does a DUKE/UNC soccer enthusiast feel the need to take stabs at the FSU Women's Soccer Program?

Oooo ... And those Gator Fans! (Don't get me started)

4. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    The soccer program is fine. It's that SoccerBuzz award winning narcissistic Sports Information Department that drives me nuts, humors me, and to some degree creates envy with achieving all those "firsts". If you want a capsule summary of all the ACC Teams, look at the FSU media guide. You'll also have a blast laughing at need to justify every performance with a new "first". They must walk on water in Tallahassee (would that be a "first"?).

5. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Guys,

As a former Seminole, and former soccer coach at FSU, I can tell you that while the list of "firsts" is somewhat over the top, the turnaroud of the program under Patrick Baker has been nothing short of phenomenal. I'll even try to catch a few games this year.

6. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    I definitely agree with you on both points.

7. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    From the FSU news release:

"The Seminoles registered the first opening day shutout in the program's history Friday."

8. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    FSU tied Missouri tonight, I wonder if that's another first. Like they tied an opponent for the 2nd consecutive Friday for the first time in school history?

9. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Well, let's see:

From the FSU press release on the game "The 15th-ranked Seminole soccer team kept three impressive streaks alive Friday evening with their 2-2 draw with Missouri (1-1-1). The Tribe extended their home unbeaten streak to 12 games, they have now not lost to a non-conference opponent at home in 20 straight games and head coach Patrick Baker remained undefeated in OT (4-0-6) as FSU head coach. The draw was the second of the season for FSU (1-0-2) as they fought back from a 2-1 defecit to get the result. ..."

I don't know if that's the first time they've not lost in any of their first three game. But, the "official" garnet and gold "first list" will need to wait for the weekly press release. I'm guessing it will be another 4-pager in the mode of "Being Patrick Baker" in which we'll go inside Patrick's head along with 3-4 players to see what the game looks like from their perspective. Honestly, you've got to give the SID some kudo's and credit for the FSU Narcissistic Reports--too bad other SIDs around the country weren't as aggressive at reporting sports other than b-ball and f-ball. I hope the SID doesn't read our sarcasm, but if he/she does I'm hoping for even MORE "firsts."

10. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I think they just had another first against LSU!!!--if my webcast is up to date.

11. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    That's a great win for LSU. FSU came into this season with high expectations, but so far they haven't lived up to them. 1-1-2 at home to start the year is not what they expected. LSU is a young team, that is a big win for that program, good for the SEC too.

12. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Another first for FSU tonight in their 4-3 OT win over Clemson.

"For the first time in the history of the program, FSU (4-2-2) has opened back-to-back seasons 1-0 in the ACC. "

13. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Amazing. isn't it? I would have called it FSU's first good win of the season.

14. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    From the FSU daily drivel (http://www.collegesports.com/sports/w-soccer/stories/092102aai.html)

My FIRST emphasis added.

"The Seminoles FIRST-ever player from the state of California seemed like anything but a freshman playing her FIRST game in the nation's premier soccer conference. Her three goals in less than 30 minutes marked just the seventh hat trick in the program's seven-year history and the FIRST ever recorded by an FSU player in an ACC contest. She is just the fifth Seminole freshman to ever record a hat trick and the FIRST newcomer to do it in four years. "

15. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    They better slow down or they might run out of FIRSTS, but somehow, I doubt they will. There's a first time for everything, or so it seem with them.

What's next?

16. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Now, for some seconds

Oh my! From the FSU release (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=8222)

Not only are they going for "firsts" tonight against Duke, now they are going for "seconds" too. Will it ever stop? (my emphasis added):

"The last time the two teams met, FSU recorded the only two goal comeback in program history and the school's first-ever win over the Blue Devils. After losing 45 straight games when falling behind an opponent by two goals, FSU staged its largest come-from-behind win by downing the Devils in Tallahassee, FL 3-2 in OT. A second consecutive regular season win over Duke would mark JUST THE SECOND TIME ever an FSU squad has won back-to-back regular season games versus a conference opponent. The last time that happened was just two weeks ago when FSU downed Clemson for the second straight year"

Oh, what was the First they are going for?:

"The 17th-ranked Florida State soccer team (7-2-2, 1-0-0) is in Durham, NC looking to do something no other Seminole soccer team has ever done. Despite the success the team has had in the ACC since Patrick Baker took over the program, FSU has yet to win a regular season conference game in the state of North Carolina."

17. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Nope, it doesn't seem to be stopping. Last night they had another first and another second.

For the first time since Patrick Baker took over the FSU soccer program in 1999, the 17th-ranked Seminoles fell in OT as No. 7 Wake Forest scored a golden goal with 1:36 remaining in the game. The Demon Deacons (11-2-1, 2-0-1) stormed out to a two-goal lead but FSU (7-3-3, 1-1-1) staged just the second-ever two-goal comeback in program history

18. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Wow! Aren't you impressed! Wasn't last year FSU's first ever 2-goal comeback against Duke (when FSU won in OT)? To give the SID credit, the firsts and seconds cited aren't always "positive" (though they usually are). Can we beg them to not start citing "thirds?"

19. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
  20. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
  21. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Got you!

From the 11/1 FSU press release:
    " If FSU is able to draw 1,100 fans to the Virginia game, it will mark the first time in team history that 10,000 spectators have watched FSU soccer in a single season. ......"

From the post-game release:
    "The 15th-ranked FSU soccer team lost .....in front of 1,098 fans at the Seminole Soccer Complex..... The fifth-largest crowd in Seminole Soccer Complex history also put the Tribe over the 10,000-fan mark for the season, which is a first in program history...."

SO, the likely explanations are a) the garnet and gold soccer SID makes up the attendance (not surprising, as that's pretty much done everywhere), b) the FSU group can't add because they made up the wrong attendance number for the game to get to 10,000 (don't know if that's surprising or not), c) their new "first" is fraudulent, but d) with the ACC tournament next week, all they have to do is get THREE spectators there and they'll get over 10,000. I suppose Maryland will have at least three fans and FSU will get their mark after all.

FSU has a good team (no sarcasm at all intended, FSU is good). And, their press releases are the most informative in the country in addition to containing the entertaining fluff (no sarcarsm intended, for their fans they really have more useful and useless information than any other release).

22. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Seminoles Land One Of The Nation's Top Classes

Two U-19 National Team players and four ODP regional players make up 2003 commitments.

U-19 National Team members India Trotter and Julia Schnugg lead this year's class

http://theacc.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/020503aab.html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-clubboca06feb06,0,4152875.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines