Florida State 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm guessing we were playing their backups this time.
    Can you give me some more info please?

2. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Pride Starting 11

Meggie Dougherty Howard
    Ashlyn Harris
    Taylor Kornieck
    Ali Krieger
    Marta
    Phoebe McClernon
    Jade Moore
    Courtney Petersen
    Ali Riley
    Erika Tymrak
    Marisa Viggiano

Great win for FSU, embarrassing loss for Pride

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for the info LeftyMac!
    Is there a public site you got that from?
    So they didn't start Gunny, Sidney L and Alex M.
    I wonder did they play at all?

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is all I could find, but it was from the Pride perspective w/o much commentary on FSU. We scored in the early minutes. They equalized on a free kick from about 20 in front of the goal. We had the game winner in minute 72. Don't know if Morgan played. I know Leroux was not available
    Orlando Pride 1-2 Florida State University

The Pride went looking for a preseason sweep of Florida State but instead it was the Seminoles exacting revenge. Orlando had beaten the Noles 2-1 in Tallahassee back on March 13, and Marc Skinner started a strong lineup against FSU.

While it’s true that college sides are in season and Florida State has one of the better programs in the country, it’s a bit disappointing to see the Pride fail to score from the run of play with a lineup like that. The only Orlando goal in the 2-1 loss came from a Taylor Kornieck free kick. It was a scorcher.

“I’m just practicing doing low and hard shots,” Kornieck said. “In case of a deflection or anything, we’re all in there in the box, ready to go. You can expect a lot more of that.”

Florida State had scored just three minutes into the match and Kornieck’s equalizer came at the end of the first half. But the Seminoles scored the game winner in the 77th minute.

The Pride fell to 2-2-0 on the preseason and it’s not the best way to go into the NWSL Challenge Cup opener against Racing Louisville next Saturday, but hopefully Skinner’s troops will be ready to go when there is more at stake.

“Our mentality was to play this game like we are playing against Louisville,” Skinner said after the scrimmage. “Result aside today, I’m really, really happy with where we’re at, and I know we’re ready for Louisville next week.”

“It’s soccer, where sometimes the result just doesn’t go the way that you are,” midfielder Erika Tymrak said. “I’m one of those people, in preseason especially, that I would rather be happy with our performance than the score. Second half, we came out and we played. I was really happy with that and I think the team was too.”

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    “Our mentality was to play this game like we are playing against Louisville,” Skinner said after the scrimmage. “Result aside today, I’m really, really happy with where we’re at, and I know we’re ready for Louisville next week.”
    It is clear that they weren't approaching this like a scrimmage. It would nice if there were a box score. Oh well, any port in a storm.

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    sweepsit repped this.
  7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FYI, my wife and I are coming up from central Fl to the spring football game.
    Any of you Soccer followers going to be there?
    I wouldn't mind putting a face to a username if you know what I mean?
    If not, it's all good.

8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to go but won’t make it in the end. Hope you get some good weather!

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I got lucky and after the spring game went by the soccer complex. They were 20 minutes into the first half of a game against a team of young men made up of FSU soccer club players and some Thomas College players. IOW, these were skilled players. Not to offend anyone, but athletic boys that age (19-22ish) are bigger, faster, quicker and stronger than their counterpart athletic females the same age.
    Our women were not overmatched. Now to be fair, Mark tells the guys and our women not to do hard sliding tackles. (injuries)
    It was a back and forth game with good chances both ways.
    We were missing Gabby Carle and Heather Payne.
    Lauren Flynn did play in the back.
    I would be shocked if this team does not win the natty.
    To see their speed, quickness, toughness and skill up close and personal was very impressive.
    I had heard about Mark having us scrimmage against guys, but I had assumed they were like high school or U17 caliber teams. Not so!
    I spoke to the mother of their GKer. He recently graduated Thomas College as their starting GKer. These weren't scrubs guys.
    I spoke to a gentleman who obviously has high level access to FSU Soccer.
    He told me that we outplayed the Pride at FSU when we lost 2-1. He said we dispossessed them frequently and just couldn't put enough chances in the back of the net.
    Another guy who saw us play the Louisville club spoke to a parent of one of their players. This parent was amazed at our skill.
    I'm predicting a natty this year! No jinx!

sweepsit repped this.
  10. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught a bit of the Portland - Chicago NWSL game today and pleased to see Casey Krueger (Short), Cassie Miller, and Nat Kuikka in action. Kuikka just starting in Portland after being pulled in from the Swedish league. One of my favorite Noles and she looked the same out there — closing everything down in the box, active, smart, mistake eraser. So much fun to watch. I hope she continues to get a lot of time at CB after the internationals come back from break. They moved her out wide with range to move forward later in the game (I think she played a lot of mid in Swedish league) and looked very comfortable there, too. Hopefully long career in front of her on top teams here or in Europe!

Klingo3034 repped this.
  11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She also played all of their first game against Kansas City, at center back. I think she is set as a starter, either there or out wide. The Thorns have said that something big she brings to the team is the ability to play in multiple positions. As soccer is developing in the US, this is becoming more and more important.

Maybe needless to say, with all of the accolades she has receied here from FSU fans, I was very happy when the Thorns signed her. And, her play thus far has made me even happier.

sweepsit and Tom81 repped this.
  12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm so glad to hear that Nat is doing well in Portland!
    I'm not surprised, but I also realize I do not know the talent
    level on these pro teams very well.
    I just know that she was smart, quick and tenacious.
    She had a good handle on the ball. Mark demands that from his CBs.
    She is fiercely competitive and very aggressive.
    She would make my all time FSU team, which is very deep in the CB, one of our all time best positions.
    Good luck to her and the Thorns.

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...for-the-future-of-canadian-soccer/ar-BB1dEpzv
    Olivia Smith a 2022 recruit from Canada may be one of the best recruits Mark has ever had. She has already gotten a cap with the NT as the youngest ever for Canada.
    Look at the highlights in the article near the bottom. She looks ready to play for FSU right now. She is more physically ready for the pounding of ACC play and has the requisite skill to be an immediate impact player. No less an authority than Soccerhunter (UNC expert) believes she may be the best player in the 2022 class.
    Take a look for yourself and see.
    She is built more like Lielani than Jody B, but her skillset is closer to Deyna IMO.
    Just hope she doesn't decide to go full time NT like Jordyn Huitema did a year ago..
    BTW, the highlights are from 2017.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Why not full time NT?

Tom81 repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Huitema chose to play some pro ball I believe and be a full time NTer. I suppose she could still be at FSU full time and do the CNT. I believe Fleming at UCLA may have done that.
    We'll see!
    Fingers crossed.

16. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    NCAA Selection Show is tomorrow at 1pm.

It would be a pretty big upset if FSU wasn't the top overall seed but we'll see.

Tom81 repped this.
  17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    CPT has a good bracket which I agree with. I would be Shocked if FSU and North Carolina are not seeded one and two in that order. That means we do not have to play the Tar Heels until a potential college cup final.
    Unlike in 2018, we would have the easiest path to the college cup at least on paper :)

18. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    As you probably know FSU is the top overall seed.

Mark had some remarks after the news. I will share some of them in a bit.

19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ohhhh kooky whose at bottom of your flight. Be fun to see that match up again!

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Absolutely look forward to it if we both make it.
    I'm not one to sugar coat or poor mouth my team.
    This is the best offensive team we've ever had.
    Defensively, we lost Malia Berkely ACC 2 time defender of the year to PSG in France since the fall.
    We should still be stout, if for no other reason than we dominate possession against most teams. With Hocking, DeMelo and McKeown, USC is definitely not most teams. At least it won't be playing in the round of 16 this time. That was our toughest test in 18 tourney.
    If and that's a big if, FSU plays its best, we should win the tournament, but as Mark has pointed out, that frequently doesn't happen.
    In his opinion, UCLA was the best in 14. We beat UVA in the finals.
    In 15 he thought we had the best team, but we lost 2-0 to Duke in the semis.
    In 18, he (and almost everyone else) thought Stanford was the best. We won.
    He hasn't said he thinks we are the best, but he has said this is most complete and deepest team he has had. I concur!

Good luck to USC and to Kaylie! I don't know if I ever told you, but I have daughter named Kyla.

21. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
  22. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark confirms Lauren Flynn will be on the back line. And Brooke Bollinger has transferred out of the team. Alyssa Conorton will be backup keeper for the tournament. Realllly need Roque to stay healthy and not be held out any games.

Tom81 repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I think USC are a better transition team. Possession vs them is not an advantage. FSU could play their best and lose before the final 4. That is soccer. I listened to the MK interview. Im guessing he would agree with me. Good luck to all. I just think we need to enjoy the games and check the superlatives based on results.

PS . Where are all the folks who said Stanford were a great team this year? Exactly. They are a good team who had issues to overcome.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008