Florida State 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member

May 5, 2007
  2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Congrats to JH.
    Apparently she has really caught the eye of the USWNT.

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't follow the USWNT very closely. I do watch big tournaments like the Olympics and the WC. That said, I know they have given many players over the years a look here and there.
    My point being, this is Jaelin's chance to impress. If she impresses, she will have future opportunities. If not, she may never get another shot.
    I'll be surprised if she doesn't impress.

4. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m excited for her. She’s only a junior in college, she’ll get another opportunity to impress one way or another no matter her performance next week. Good sign to see Vlatko investing in her development so early, even in a pool with only four other eligible mids.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was in the last camp and, when a midfield vacancy came up, is the one picked to fill the spot. She already must have impressed.

Tom81 repped this.
  6. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number007 repped this.
  7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Mark apparently agrees with Val and 007 about the difficulty of playing on the road in COVID. That makes winning the ACCT that much more impressive. UNC and Duke have a read advantage in the ACCT.
    I sure hope we have a spring season and an NCAAT. This team has a chance to win it all. Can't take that for granted. We haven't seen Stanford, UCLA or USC yet.
    And we all know that in soccer the best team doesn't always win.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    If you could take 5 players from throughout the ACC to supplement this FSU team, who would they be?
    For me, Hancuff the GK with CU starting over Roque. I'd have Fox from UNC starting over Carle. I'd have Spaanstra from UVA starting over Lynch. I'd have Pinto from UNC starting over Zipay and I'd have Ekic from the Ville starting over McFarland. Part of me wants to put Spaanstra up top and switch Ekic out wide.

Don't get me wrong, I love each of our players. McFarland does a lot that goes unnoticed. She is not a take the ball, turn and beat the defender kind of up top player, but Mark likes her enough to give her 50 to 60 minutes a game.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True in any sport, although I suspect more true in soccer than in many other sports. In terms of top teams, however, we should not over rely on the idea that the best team does not always win:

For the Top 10 among the DI women in the final regular season ratings, they win 83.7% of the regular season games in which they are higher rated (without regard to the rating differences with their opponents), tie 7.4%, and lose 8.9%. So, if a Top 10 team is (or two Top 10 teams are) in a game, it is reasonable to expect the best team will win about 85% of the time. Which I think means that if a Top 10 team wins a game, it is highly likely it indeed is the better team.

10. Number007

Number007 Member

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I could not agree more. Better team. Its a team game. The better team does not always have the better players.