Florida State 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First and foremost congratulations to Stanford on an amazing season and a well deserved national title! Now it is time to turn the page on FSUs 2019 season. Jeffers and Deyna are off to the next stage in their lives and I wish them nothing but the best! Everyone else, barring some expected transfers, is returning. Incoming recruits are:

Jody Brown, Jamaica, Forward
    Cristina Roque, Florida, Goalkeeper
    Lauren Flynn, Virginia, Forward
    Kaitlyn Zipay, Florida, Midfielder

There is talk that at least one impact international will also join the team, I do not know who yet though. I am hoping for a regular season match-up with Stanford next season! Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the future of this squad, possible line-ups, new players, strategy, etc..

As always, Go Noles!

SakiBomb25 and Lagadema repped this.
  2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Deyna will be sorely missed. She was a gifted passer.
    She was creative and fluid with the ball at her feet.
    She had a howitzer shot good up to 40 yards with her right foot and 25 or so yards with the left.
    She commanded a lot of attention. Even when she didn't get on the ball very often, her presence occupied multiple defenders giving freer run to others.

I'm assuming Jenna moves inside next to Yujie. Hopefully both step up their games, so the loss of Deyna is not devastating.

Now on to the positive.
    Emily Madril should be back (2 straight ACLs). IMO either she or Carle will step into the CB in place of Payne who will be free to move up to MF or F.
    That should be a net gain.
    Clara and Kristina should be back to full speed helping the midfield. Leilani should also be fully healthy. Between, Clara, Kristina, Heather and Abby, our wide MF should be improved.
    Jenna and Yujie should be good in the attacking MF roles, but losing Deyna has to hurt. Slight downgrade.

KMac, Leilani, Makala and Jodi should make our Fs much better IMO.
    We'll have to wait and see who our unknown international recruit is. Where does she play? How fast/quick is she?
    Next season, our defense should return to its normal stingy self.

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    As I read it, she will be 20 years old in August. Always helps to have players who are two years ahead of the competition in terms of experience, physical development, etc.! Seriously, that is one of the advantages of having internationals; many tend to be older than their U.S. class counterparts.

ping repped this.
  5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is aged for sophomore so not quite two years ahead. Most Europeans take gap years. FSU had Sanna Talonen years ago from Finland who I think started at 21 years old, conversely Deyna started at 17 and doesn't turn 21 till the spring.

6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you've come aground to internationals now that Tennessee has some. A few years ago you did not like it ;)

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    We will need the following to compete with Stanford next year:
    1. Clara to be at full speed and come back. She just graduated.
    2. Emily to be at full speed and loaded for Bear!
    3. Kristina. Ditto above.
    4. Leilani. Ditto above.
    5. Jenna and Yujie to step it up a notch physically.
    6. Jody Brown to be the real deal with pace and technical ability.
    7. We need Lin to be a significant upgrade in the CB.
    * A bonus would be 1 or 2 of Makala, this year's freshmen who did not play significantly, or Lauren Flynn or Kaitlyn Zipay to be ready to make a solid contribution.
    We might could tolerate an injury or two, but the injuries can't be
    to Jaelin, Malia or Yujie/Jenna IMO.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    How would like the following starting lineup?

BB with Roque as a backup GKer
    CBs Malia and Linn no backups on back line.
    Wide backs Pavlisko and Madril no backups
    WMFers Carle and Lynch with Robbins and Payne as backups.
    AMFs Yujie and Jenna with Robbins and Nesbeth as backups.
    Fs KMac with Brown and Thomas as back ups.

We may have to use Brown in the WMF if she is as dynamic as we think.
    Or maybe she gets play in AMF role?

What say you?

9. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Really tom81. To suggest that injuries would be tolerable only if not to certain players is quite lame. How about saying injuries be damned.

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I guess you dont need to compete with the ACC teams ;)

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    #11 Tom81, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    It may be quite lame, but it's also quite true!
    Certain players leave a bigger hole than others.
    Ask UNC re: Fox or UVA re: Ivory, or last year's Stanford team without Smith, Davidson and a less than 100% Haley and Macario.

To change to another sport, how about New England w/o Tom Brady, or Baltimore w/o Lamar Jackson, or the LA Lakers w/o LeBron?

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    #13 Tom81, Dec 14, 2019
    I think we all know the bar is set with Stanford right now!
    Doesn't mean there aren't other hurdles!

14. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Don’t need examples from other sports. Having Clara, Emily, Leilani and Kristina at full strength would’ve provided much needed depth for FSU. My issue is with your suggestion that injuries to one player versus another would be tolerable. Throughout the season you spoke of the injuries that depleted FSU quite a bit. Those girls were needed.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm sorry that offends you. Injuries to any of our players does impact the product on the field. I certainly don't wish that. I just don't recall a year when we didn't have any injuries. I hope this coming season is just such a season. I know it kills these girls not to play, or not to play at full speed.
    As to the product on the field, there are a few players that we have a harder time replacing than others. Is that better, or are you still offended?

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Do we ? I guess I’m the minority. There are a few teams who can compete at that level on any given day.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    these are one off games. You hope to be healthy. You tend to draw bigger conclusions from them than me.

interesting that the U20s played 5 games and I’ve seen no comments from anyone. Heck, Nishwonger was captain last night and still no comments.

tekhs me that soccer is still very partisan here. Not many care about the youth. Just “their” team/players.

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    On their best day, there are a few teams who can play with
    Stanford. The difference is Stanford can play on their level at less than their best. These other teams you allude to, must be at their best to even compete with the current Stanford.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #19 Number007, Dec 14, 2019
    lets agree to disagree. Soccer is a funny game. They have talent for sure but no more than the other top team

you can make a strong case that Stanford have been marginally the best talent wise for while. They didn’t win.

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Haley is a great example. She was a YNT mainstay and everyone said she was great. She fell out with the USSF and was not selected for a while. Forgotten by many. Now all of a sudden she is great again !!!

because most people see so few games a player is evaluated on box scores and perception. Those a fickle evaluators.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is the 2020 FSU thread, so I don't want to spend more time right now on Stanford.
    I'll give my final opinions under the "Let's agree to disagree department."
    1. They do have more top end talent than anyone else.
    2. They are not marginally the best team, but the best team by a margin.
    3. I would agree that they haven't won as often as their talent level would suggest.
    Hard case to make that the team that just won 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 9 is somehow underachieving. That said, if you were to simply compare rosters
    year to year, Stanford looks strong. Their recruiting suggests they will continue
    be so.
    Not sure how you are defining talent, but IMO they possess the most talented team by a nice margin. The difference IMO is they possess the best top end players over any other team.
    As I posted in another thread, if I were doing a draft from the CC teams only, the top 3 or 4 picks would by from Stanford.
    1. Macario
    2. Haley Great combo of strength, size, quickness and technical ability. Genes matter.
    3. Sophia Smith Super fast with good technical skills and great finishing ability.
    CPT would put Girma as #4. I'm not as sure after the first 3, but the point is all 3 of the first ones, barring serious injuries, are likely to make the full USWNT.
    Maybe you saw someone better than those three, but I didn't.
    Are there other excellent players? Yes!
    Are there other excellent teams? Yes!
    Was there any other team top to bottom that was as talented as Stanford?
    No, and it wasn't that close IMO.

22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Nighswonger look?

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    she started both games, played 90 in both and was captain vs France. I thought she had a strong showing in both games. Played 8/10 vs Brazil and 6 vs France. It was hard for all the midfield players as I think the Senior ID call ups and some of the no shows deprived the team of a real #6.

She played really hard, showed some really good touches and tackled tenaciously.

Re-inforced for me how some kids are deprived of the chance to do what is best for them for the good of College teams. She is far better centrally. In fact, she is abetter 6 than 7 or 11. Ie is better central in a defensive role than wide in an attacking role, even tho she is more attacker than defender.

I was very impressed with her.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 or 4 from each year make the full USWNT, sometimes fewer.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm expressing my belief, and I'm not saying when. I just believe all three possess the qualities to make the USWNT.
    Every couple of years, a few NTers quit or lose their spot do they not?