Florida MLS Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by strikersoccersupply, Oct 6, 2004.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. That line of thought seemed to work real well for the Tampa Bay Mutiny.
    ;)

2. soccerexchange

soccerexchange New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    St Augustine FL
    One Word: Jacksonville!!!
    Team could play in southern suburbs of St. Johns county (St Augustine) and be called Ancient City FC...these guys are giving money away to anyone who asks...find an owner and these people will build you a SSS

3. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA probably has more of a soccer loving population than the Tampa Bay area, IMO.

4. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Jacksonville would be great, IMO.

Ancient City FC? I don't think St. Augustine would be considered ancient. Rome is ancient, Athens is ancient, St. Augustine is just old. They could be Old City FC or Elder City or maybe just St. Augustine FC. Ancient makes me think of BC.

I think I've figured out FC (Football Club?), AC (Athletic Club?), and United (Sounds good and/or it's a combination of older clubs), but what is Real? What does Real stand for?

I guess we could cause trouble and Americanize it, slapping SC (Soccer Club) on the name.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacksonville? Sure it would be nice if a mystery investor popped up and bought a team and built a SSS. But this town can't even keep their NFL team happy. 2nd lowest attendance in the NFL. Ouch!

6. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, they were 14th out 32, in 03 they were 2nd to last. Their attendance sucked before that for a while, but I think the reason for that is that when they came into the league they were really good (first expansion team to make the postseason). Then once that team got split up, they sucked. They had not had a winning record in 5 years until their 9-7 season last year.
    The fans never learned how to care about a losing team. They got spoiled with the early success of the team. That's my assertion anyway.

I think they could support a soccer team. I think there's enough wealthy people in the area that would be able to build a SSS. The trouble would be convincing them to do it.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I am all for any Florida city getting a MLS team. However, Jax has not been able to keep a amatuer womens, mens/PDL, indoor/outdoor soccer for more than one year ever. And considering the issues they are having with public funds paying for sports facilities in Florida, you better pray a wealthy philantropist appears. Otherwise Jax is not ever going to happen.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 year dead thread resurrection. Might be a BigSoccer all time record.

henryo repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope pretty sure that I've done a 10 year resurrection once...but my link provided is appropriate to the thread is it not Mr. Prime???

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your link is about a former MLS team in Florida and this thread is entitled Florida MLS. So yes very appropriate.

11. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Good to read what people expected from Orlando in contrast to how everything has turned out. :)

Not trying to put these people down, it's hard to predict these things and hindsight is always 20/20. It's just interesting.

12. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Also, any chance of getting an Orlando City forum on here now?

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two already. One in MLS expansion, the other in USL.

Once they are announced and we are closer to start of their MLS season we will merge and move them.

And plz, mock anyone who doubted, please.

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When announced, the Orlando thread will likely be moved out of the candidate forum and into the Expansion forum proper (I don't know why NYC hasn't been moved out yet). It will probably be renamed Orlando City as well. Rawlins has made it clear the MLS team will keep the Orlando City name.

Once we actually start play, we'll be in the Teams thread.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go from expansion candidate to MLS clubs, there is no in-between status.

And you move from Candidate to Club usually the off season before you start (so winter 2014 for Orlando).