Florida Legislature question?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by nbace, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that some Orlando-area lawmakers are attaching possible funding for an MLS stadium there to the Dolphins stadium bill. Would there be money available (in the form of the state sales tax rebate) for an MLS stadium in South Florida? Might be the seed money needed for either a Miami "soccer only" stadium or maybe for the Strikers to renovate Lockhart and get into MLS.

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, the only cash available is for Sun Life (Joe Robbie) Stadium improvements. Even that is not at all popular here because of the royal screwing that Mr Loria & his merry band of bandits performed on the people of Miami & Miami-Dade County to get Marlin's Stadium built. There is a powerful antipathy towards spending any tax $$$ on anything sports related right now.

Also, Tim Robbie has stated that 1) $15,000,000 is available from Traffic Sports for the construction of a 5,000 to 10,000 seat stadium for the Strikers somewhere in South Florida. No mention has been made by anyone about any other financing. Tim, and others, have said that they prefer the stadium be somewhere in Broward County, but they are open to any offers for any site in South Florida. And, yes, the rumors about the location abound.

2) The Strikers had a Q & A online with Tim on Friday, March 15th. He was asked bluntly about the Strikers moving to MLS. His answer, twice, was that the Strikers are looking to grow the team as large as they can in NASL. Interpret the executive speak as you wish (or can). Most of us here see that as a statement the the Strikers have no interest in MLS right now. Maybe never. Who knows, aside from Tim and Aaron Davidson.....:cool:

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dolphins are asking for the legislature to activate automatic sales tax rebates to them to help pay for renovations to Sun Life Stadium. There are slots available for two MLB teams, three NFL teams, two NBA teams and two NHL teams. Essentially, all our current major-league sports teams. I believe it amounts to $166,667 per month, or $2 million per year.

The rider added by a Central Florida rep would add TWO slots for Major League Soccer teams. This would allow Orlando City to get state funding, and would also add a space for a second MLS team in the future.

It was introduced to the Senate floor on March 5. Don't know when it will be voted on.

4. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Pretty sure the Strikers have adamantly said they have no interest in joining MLS.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12...ecent-search-for-soccer-specific-stadium.html

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your link to Ives gave me info I'd not seen before.. That ices it. No Strikers to MLS. Ever. That does not make me happy....:(

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I understand that is bad news (for you and me both) but I still believe an MLS team will be planted in Miami at some point (no matter how much all the other Striker Likers argue it won't be). MLS wants Miami and just like NY2, it will get done in due time.

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, even though I do not think that Miami is an MLS town. It needs "events", not the weekly, months long grind of an MLS expansion season. It will not survive being another Chivas USA or anything like that. Also, they still will probably have the Strikers and their fan base avoiding them. They will come here as saviors to many folks in M-D, and as intruders to many north of there. Not an ideal situation for someone entering one of the most, if not THE most, fickle sports market in the country.