Flores Traded to the Revs

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Soccer Doc, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word has it that Flores has been traded to the Revs for a 4th round pick in the 06 supplamental draft. What's your assessment of Flores? Are you all happy or sad to see him go? Do you think he's an MLS level player? Has he ever returned to form after his ankle injury last June (Thanks to Clint Dempsey ;) ?

2. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Good player, is a shame that Bradley let him go just to protect his son little Bradley of being benched.

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

No, he hasn't. In the few minutes he's gotten this season, he's looked reluctant to really go into tackles. He's playing a bit soft, he's not quite as fast, either. Bradley even said that he just wasn't the same player after the injury. As to a "trade" for him, why would the Revs have to give the Metros anything? Gilberto was waived. All NE has to do is claim him.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Ironic that he would be traded to a team whose player injured him.

5. MetroSexual

MetroSexual New Member

May 23, 2005
    PA
    Exactly. Gilberto was a very good player in the games I saw him in. As to how he is performing after the injury, I am not sure.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he was traded rather than waived. On the Official Rev site it states that he was traded for the 4th pick in the 05 supplamental draft (8th round pick) which I guess is as little as any team can give another for a player. My guess is that the Revs did this to insure that they would get him since if you all waived him he'd be available to all the other teams. It will be interesting to see if Coach Nicol et al can get him back into form. Hate to see a good young player finished by an ankle ligament injury. Maybe he just needs a change in venue.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    As I understand it when a player is waived teams must claim him within 48 hours or his rights revert to the original team for 12 months.

Apparently even when a player is claimed within the time period he can be pulled back by his team.

Hence the trade.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    He didn't look bad against KC. I dunno man, I don't like how all of the DMs are being traded away and the 17 year old is guaranted a starting role.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just announced the Wlker deal as official: a fourth round supplemental draft pick.

Apparently, with Walker and now Flores, Lalas is cleverly trying to corner the market on eighth round draft picks. Cheeky devil.

10. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton

Its called "pullin a diallo"

11. Jman81

Jman81 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Jersey City, NJ
    LOL! :p

That was probably the mother of all "ironic" metro trades... or "moronic".

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    You see Gilberto as a D-mid? He did not have much size and to me never looked like a player who could do well in the middle of the field.

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We must be a superclub.. Otherwise, why give Flores/Walker for next to nothing, and yet seemingly overpay for Tony....

But hey, if a cup comes our way..... forget i said a thing.....

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Armas: 5'7" 150
    Kerry Zavagnin: 5'10" 170
    Richard Mulrooney: 5'9" 160
    Pablo Mastroeni: 5'10" 170
    John O'Brien: 5'8" 145
    Claudio Reyna: 5'9" 160 (and that's a stretch)

Sergio Flores: 5'9" 160

Basically the top six guys mentioned in the DM position for the US, and all of them in the same range of size as Flores. The guy either has the skills or he doesn't. He's young and showed tons of promise. The only issue is weather he recovers properly from getting a "Dempsey" or not.

15. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly what he was when he was on the field for the Metros. He disrupted the attack of the other team.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shairie Joseph 6'3" 180 :eek:

17. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002