Flo moves to Sunderland

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by John T, Aug 30, 2002.

1. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    I bet that they will be holding a leaving party. This deal really is a cause for celebration at Rangers. I never thought anyone would pay them that much for Flo in this situation. Perhaps Sunderland are desperate?

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Of course those Mackems are desperate!

After all, it IS Sunderland.... :D

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I doubt this money goes for anything but paying debts.

4. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    There are rumours circling around that McLeish may raid his former club Hibs for youngster Gary O'Connor. O'Connor himself has been talking for weeks about how he is going to move to RFC soon. O'Connor has also pulled out of Hibs' game tomorrow with an (alleged) hamstring injury.

I can't see why Rangers would buy him at this stage, however.

But the bulk of the Flo money will defo. be used to reduced debt level. It also reduces the wage bill considerably. ;)

5. ads_uk

ads_uk New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Bearsden
    I'm a rangers fan and I am sad to see him leave. I hope that celtic sign o'connor and we dont cos I don't see the point when rangers have superb youth facilities and could actually get the players themselves.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    the emphasis is definitely on bringing the youth through (as it should have been for some time - if Rangers and Celtic are upset that Scotland don't produce enough quality young players, they can point the finger straight at themselves). Look for a boy named Stephen McLean to get a chance at some point this season (the chance Peter MacDonald never got).

I like O'Connor but I think that would be a bad move for him. I like another Hibs player, Iain Murray, but that would be an even worse move for him to make just now.

I still say Scotland could be very competitive at Euro 2004, if he will just start using the regular SPL players and quit trying to get every Nationwide player who happens to have a Scots gran.

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this we can agree. Look at Crainey and Maloney at Celtic and some emerging lads at Gers --- although I think 2006 will be when they show to their best.

8. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Goodbye tore, well miss you as often as you missed us. Celtic FC

9. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Shouldn't that be:

"Goodbye Tore, I will miss you as much as you missed chances"?

:D

10. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    too much like common sense for me mate ;)

11. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I hear the saints are the only club in british league football not to have conceded a goal this season by the way SJ, so when yous playing airdri....er falkirk? :)

12. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    "1629: Tore Andre Flo strikes on his Sunderland debut, tapping home to equalise after good work by Jason McAteer.
    Sunderland 1-1 Manchester United"

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    figures. Ugh.

He scored on his debut for us too, a 5-1 win over Celtic (and that's the last he scored against them).

14. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh

Next three games are Ayr, Ross County then Falkirk. So obviously it will be getting a little bit harder.

The statistic that they haven't conceded a goal says more about the 1st division than it does about Saints. I've been to two of the games so far (1-0 v ICT and today, 2-0 v Alloa) and have made two principal obsevations:

1/ Saints are not playing as well as they were last season

2/ If they were playing SPL opposition they would be getting murdered

The standard of the 1st is very poor this year. Much lower than it was when we were in it last, five-six years ago. Of course, I have to consider that there are two more teams in the SPL now than there were then, which obviously reduces the quality in the 1st.

But I can't remember Saints coasting games so easily when they weren't playing well. I think this can be explained by the collapse in the fortunes of decent-sized clubs, eg Raith, Airdrie (Utd), Morton.

15. ads_uk

ads_uk New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Bearsden
    harald brattbakk springs to mind, I'd rate him as one of the best defenders in the spl in his time at celtic, not for celtic obviously lol I mean for the opposition.

16. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Ive not seen much first division games this season so im not in the best position to comment but id probably agree, even ayr had to jetison most of their squad didnt they.
    Shame really as its usually a very interesting division to keep an eye on, murder to get out of too.

17. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I love wee harald for scoring the goal that won us the league in 98 but some of his misses were absoloutely stunning, I remember the ball fell to him 3 yards out one time and instead of just side footing it home he let it roll up his leg, this took him completely by surprise and it rolled down and rolled up the other!
    he fell over after that and the keeper got onto it...a strong gust of wind would have scored that goal though.
    He sticks them away regular for rosenborg in the champions league as well.

18. ads_uk

ads_uk New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Bearsden
    yeah i know ;)