Flirting with debt

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Brunsen, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What is the most debt I can accumulate before my account is locked? I’m thinking of jumping into the transfer market to boost my defense but may think twice if its really not worth it…

I currently have 1.5 million and would like to buy a couple of outstanding to brilliant defenders. I have been waiting all year for the prices to come down and they have but not to the extent that I would have liked. Should I wait it out to the end of the season and risk floundering deeper into league oblivion?

Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks…

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -$500,000 is the debt limit, below that and you could go bankrupt after five log ins at that level.

3. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    You can't buy yourself deeper into debt than $-200k anyway. That's where you're not allowed to spend any more money. And this limit is already active when bidding on a player. Furthermore, paying interest rates sucks.

4. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's that you can't make bids if your current debt is more than 200k. If the amount in parenthesis on your economy page is -199,999 or less, you will be able to bid on players. This is how you can get into debt up to $500k.

The -500k will limit you to 5 logins to correct the debt. This is calculated at the economic updates. If your amount of debt that is calculated at the last econ update is 500k or more, you will be limited to 5 logins to correct the debt by the next econ update. If you get below the 500k amount in debt by the next econ update and have not used up all your logins, you will resume unlimited logins. If you have utilized all your logins and the debt is not corrected by the next econ update, your team will be locked.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, fcsg is right, you can't bid over 200K in debt, there have been numerous times where I have been bidding on multiple players and wanted to up a bid on one player but couldn't because I was unable to pass my 200K in debt.

6. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    No, you can't. I know it from my own experience. If you're at -190k, for example, you've only got 10k to spend on a player. And if you want to bid more, HT won't let you.

EDIT: Kuhnscoot beat me to it.

7. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you doing flirting with debt, come on man, make a commitment and get married!

The end of the season usually sees a decrease in prices somehwhat. Unless you need them now, wait. But don't be suprised if you get in a bidding war at the end of the season. Some people will be making lates season moves to bolster their chances for possible quallies.

8. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    The last couple offseasons prices seemed very depressed from mid-season. I got some great deals on buys and lost a good amount on some sales too. Difference this offseason is there wont be any major cost adjustments like arena expansion that will force people to put off buying players.

9. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected and glad to learn the correct scenario.

Then how is it that you can get to -500k debt to limit logins??? :confused:

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    consistently losing money,

if your wage bill, and expenses are higher than your income and you add interest due to being in debt you could creep towards that -500k mark.

11. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scenario a: Mismanagement on a grand scale that puts your team into bankruptcy.
    Scenario b: Careless timing of player acquisition so that you finance a new purchase using a current bid on a player you have for sale, but the purchase takes place before the economic update and the sale goes through after.

12. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that, but I have seen threads in conference where users have purchased players and got to that level. Then asked about the specifics of the limited logins and getting back to less than -500k. :confused:

13. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Could it be that they got to that level with arena expansions? Don't know how it works there. Or maybe they just had a hugely negative cash flow, which consistently got worse because of interest payments.

14. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Pretty sure you can go past the -200k debt limit for stadium expansion. If your fixed costs are high and you dont have home league/cup matches for a couple week to offset them, along with player acquisitions you can get deep into debt pretty quickly.

15. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I think I got it now.

I finance a purchase with money bid on one of my TL'd players around the econ updates on Sat.

My purchase goes through before the econ using the current bid on my TL player. Econ happens and I am actually -500k or more, then my TL sells afterwards getting me back in black, but I have limited myself to 5 logins until next econ due to -500k at the past econ. Correct?

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im a bit confused due to the wording, lack of concentration and the fact that I'm waiting on my curry to heat up in the microwave as I type, but as far as I know, you cannot spend money you don't yet have...

ie, if you have 500K in the bank and are selling a player for 500K you can't spend 1.2M, you can only spend 700K, 500K that you have and 200K into debt, of course, once the player is sold you'll get the money back, but it wont appear till the update.

17. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Yes, you can spend that money. It is considered in the calculation for the -200k limit.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i'm almost certain you cant... atleast, I have been unable to do this in the past, that was 2 seasons ago though, so i dont know if they've changed anything... and I don't stay in debt for more than 2weeks now so I cant see myself w/ the chance to test it any time soon...

19. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    From the rules (section "economy"):

Besides, you won't be allowed to purchase players if this will push your debts over 133 333 £. When you're about to place a bid the program will take into consideration other bids you've placed, and what's been offered for your own players listed for transfer.

20. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I know some people who have run into this before.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thanx.... well, got me there, but that clears that up... I must have run into it at a time when I knew my player was going to sell for a bunch, but had not yet been bid on.

22. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    I actually had problems with this too last week, because my asking price was so high that the first bid was shortly before the deadline. So I had to wait all the way until the deadline before I had any money to spend, but I had my sights set on a player that went earlier.