Flip throw - what do the referees think?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by zahzah, Jan 16, 2014.

1. OkieZebra

OkieZebra Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    ... since this got bumped. When I saw the name in the first video I thought it sounded familiar. Yep. He was the guy doing flip throws for the energy for a few years.

Low quality video, but still the top play on sportscenter back in 2017.

dadman repped this.
  2. eric13

eric13 New Member

Munich
    United States
    Oct 10, 2020
    I am not a referee but if I look at the IFAB laws of the game. The rules changed between 2016-2017 and now. So to say this was settled six years ago doesn't answer the question posed. In 2016, the rules didn't say you had to be standing. If you look now, the rules now have to stand underlined for emphasis. So the rules have changed since then.

To tell you the truth, I don't see where in this thread an analysis of the portions of a throw-in was ever fully explained with regards to a flip throw. For instance, I dont see where it was determined if the ball went over the head or the other way around. If this is also considered standing. Common sense may dictate for some to say this is not considered standing.

There is too much discussion on the two-meter rule in the thread. (Which by the way would be great to be actually called in youth soccer games. It would actually make getting a throw in an advantage instead of a disadvantage at a younger age.)

Turning a throw-in to a kick-in which you are suggesting with the Arsene Wenger reference is a terrible idea. It would turn every throw in into a free-kick which is not a good outcome.

I would appreciate if could do an analysis of why a flip throw is legal. Thanks for your help.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Stand was put in to make clear what was known but not explicit: you can’t be kneeling to take a throw. Why we should care about threat, who knows, but it’s always been the understanding (we’ll, at least for decades...).

Why wouldn’t it be legal is the real question. On the flip throw, done properly, the player is on his feet when it is thrown, with both feet on the ground (i.e. is standing) and throws the ball over his head. Nothing in the Laws makes it improper.

4. eric13

eric13 New Member

Munich
    United States
    Oct 10, 2020
    but is it really... watch in slow motion

5. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    You most likely don't see analysis about the new laws because this thread is 6 years old and the laws didn't exist and no one goes back through old threads to correct them after the fact. That being said, a person needs to do the following to be a legal throw.
    • stand facing the field of play
    • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
    • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play
    I have attached a very precise graphic concerning the motions in a flip throw. A throw in is judged to be legal only when the player releases the ball. When he releases the ball, the ball is most certainly going over his head. He lands, his head is in front of the ball and the arms bring the ball over the head. Attached a picture showing the moment of release from the original video that you can only get slowing it down to 25% speed. No problems there.

The biggest issue that you can probably raise is the "standing". This play has previously been judged to be legal and without explicit instruction from IFAB, I would still consider it to be legal. There are plenty of small things that they have come out and specifically said was illegal but not this. If this isn't considered standing, then what is the definition of standing? Is it a certain amount of bend in the knees and hips and you are no longer standing? Do you need straight legs and a straight back? You run the risk of over-legislating and have to spell every little detail out (come to think of it, IFAB might start looking into doing this because that's been their trend so far).

Attached Files:

frankieboylampard and threeputzzz repped this.
  6. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    One could argue the "from behind" occurs before the release point, but any flip throw will still meet this requirement.

Bent knees != not standing (this is for Pierre)

7. eric13

eric13 New Member

Munich
    United States
    Oct 10, 2020
    This is a great analysis. Thanks. If you get a picture of the ball going over his head then I agree it is legal. I am not convinced yet that the ball goes over the head. (Wish I could see a few pictures a split second before this).

8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    My question about flip throws has always been whether the thrower has both feet on the ground at the moment of release of the ball - and how the referee can determine that during that fleeting instant.

9. eric13

eric13 New Member

Munich
    United States
    Oct 10, 2020
    I agree now it can be legal. Thanks for the analysis.