Flash looked good

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by SoccerDad00, May 5, 2011.

1. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Just wanted to say attended the game Sunday, Flash totally dominated! Mid-field was very strong, Bock was amazing. Not a weak spot on the team , nice to be able to pull Morgan off the bench for a quick goal. Will be at the game Friday night.

2. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed as well. Although I was under the impression that Coach Lines might go back to the 3-5-2 formation he used against Atlanta. I was surprised to see him go back to the 4-3-3, but it was effective against SB's outside forwards.

Hoping for good weather on Friday night! :D

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am thrilled to hear that Brittany Bock is playing well. One of my favorite players.

4. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I kind of like having 4 on the back line, if there is a weak spot on the team its been right side defender {Kandace Wilson} has been lit up a few times. Ali Riley is one of the fastest attacking defenders I have ever watched play. I have yet to see a player get by her so far this year.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would someone who has watched the home games please report on how Edwards, Bock, and Seger are balancing their midfield play? I'm assuming that Seger is always going to be the more advanced player w/ Bock & Edwards given the defensive responsibilities.

But I'm really interested in how that's actually looked shape-wise and balance wise both in the 4-3-3 and the 3-5-2. I like Bock but I'm very high on Edwards ability to boss a midfield as the holding/dmid and manage possession. I would have her on the WWC roster, but I'm not the coach.

Just based on fouls called (and the one tv game I saw), it seems Bock has been given the "be physical" green light.

Thank you :)

6. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid's got jet engines and solid defensive skills as well. Great move by the Ferns to cap her.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, they capped her before she made the move to defense. I don't think they (or anyone else) knew that she'd become a world class defender at that point.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wish i'd seen this.

wilson is one of the players i've been touting, and one the uswnt head coach seems to be blind to. maybe pia sees what i'm missing.

9. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watch the FSC ATL-WNY game. Wilson was torched by Chalupny. No surprise Wilson did not play the following week against ATL.

10. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kool - you're right on all accounts. First, Seger has been given the green light to go forward and distribute out of the midfield. She's been very good at playing the ball through to all the forwards and spreading that distribution out. It's causing nightmares for the opposing defenses. Bock and Edwards have primarily hung back.

Coach Lines' 4-3-3 works fairly well, but I thought that the 3-5-2 alignment vs. Atlanta was a new twist....something that I liked a lot. Someone else mentioned that Kandace Wilson is having a bit of trouble on the right flank - that's true for a lot of the long ball situations....she's been burnt a lot on a straight dead-run, but does have the ability to close it down fairly quickly by getting back into good position. I personally like the 3-5-2 alignment because it forces a lot of shut-down play in the midfield. I think this actually helps Kandace out - especially if Zerboni is played on the same side with her.

You're right about Edwards as a stabilzing force through the midfield - but Seger is really the force there. Then again, getting through both Edwards and Seger will be a challenge for any team - add Bock to the mix and you don't have a lot of chances to move through that midfield easily.

I'll be there tonight - anyone else going? :D

Aaron

11. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yea - she's very good.....but I think there are times that she tries to do too much. At the end of the SBFC game, you can tell she was completely gassed. My hope is that she can temper some of the upfield runs to space them out throughout the game. There was a time against SB where she went upfield 3-4 times in a row.

Luckily enough, Ali can get back into position if there's a breakdown. I just don't want to see one of her best abilities become a liability for the team further down the road.....

Just my $.02....:)

Aaron

12. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Cant make it to the game tonight, one of my daughters has a game.
    Ali is in amazing shape, from what I hear she trains harder than just about anyone. I would worry more about all her travel playing for her National team, putting wear and tear on her body.

13. IzzyWSU

IzzyWSU New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...The Flash started very strong; Lines said they 'passed the Breakers out of the park in the first 30 minutes;' I agree - they were playing exactly the same style and pace as they did with all the starters playing
    ...I saw very few fans leave when it began to rain a short time into the second half. Just a few left during the last 10 minutes of the game.
    ...Alex Sahlen got a huge cheer from a contingent of her supporters when she came into the game.
    ...Nikki Washington and Niki Cross were hard for WNY to deal with in the second half.
    ...Zerboni scored her second goal after moving from the right side to the left side part way into the second half.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did the defense look?

16. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Shaky. Brandao is not a player at this level. If she was a musical instrument, she would be a drum. After the first ten minutes Boston ran their attack through the right the entire remainder of the game. Central and right side looked good.

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah okay thanks. So Engen played well?

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, Engen is the real deal. I agree on Brandao - Wilson seemed to have an off game, but it was hard for me to tell, most of the action she had was on the far side of the field from me.

19. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    No, Wilson was on. Boston tried to penetrate her side for the first ten minutes of the match, but no luck. She and Zerboni worked well to thwart those early attacks.

20. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Engen. After watching her last year in Chicago she was one of the most consistent players all year. Shame she probably isn't going to Germany (Unless this Mitts injury doesn't get better) but I'm not complaining since the Flash will be able to keep her :D

Good to hear the Wilson and Zerboni played well together.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reports folks.

22. IzzyWSU

IzzyWSU New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    WNY Flash Highlights and Reaction vs Boston 5/13 - on Womens Soccer United: http://ning.it/jRPYH0 Great goals of Zerboni!!!!

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link.