Flash in 2012 - What's Goin' On

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured a Flash-specific thread for 2012 would be good to have.

Joe Sahlen said he is trying to find a league to play in. As most know, the Flash played in the W-league in 2009 and 2010. I assume Joe and Alex Sahlen still have good contacts there. I see on the W-league website they are soliciting for expansion teams: http://wleague.uslsoccer.com

I won’t mind driving to Buffalo to watch the Flash in 2012 – gotta be a supporter if there is any hope for 2013.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Does anyone have any idea what the "counter" at the top of the Flash page signifies, if anything? As I'm writing this post, it's listing 1111-days-and-some which would put the "next event" on 2/17/2015. =-/

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know (I think) that the girls on the team lived around Buffalo, and that the team's office is in the Buffalo area, but I thought they owned the stadium in Rochester, which, if true, would indicate that it might be better to play there as they did in WPS. But I guess I'm wrong.

I wonder how the projected attendence is, or if it's apples and oranges to even ask.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few items -

Sahlen bought naming rights to the stadium - they don't own it.

On WHTK's "KickThis" radio program this past Saturday (a few days before the WPSL announcement) Flash Coach Aaran Lines stated that the Flash were definitely going to play in 2012, and he strongly suggested but did not actually say that they would play in Rochester because of the fan base they established in 2011.

Attendance will be less than 2011, and will depend on which players actually will be on the field. Sinclair and Morgan both signed for the WPS team, but will they play in the WPSL?

Alex Morgan is in the Sports Illustrated magazine which comes out Feb 14th.

6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    So it gives Sahlen extra PR when they play there, so still a good reason to keep using it.

7. bdaly

bdaly Member

Apr 28, 2011
    At the Lancers game yesterday, the Flash were represented, and the question was asked at half time about where they'd play their schedule in front of the crowd -- Sahlen's Stadium in Rochester was the answer. So, that question seems to be resolved.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i can see why philly isn't playing this season, and fitz has completely avoided the questions. what would be thepoint of him fielding a semi-pro team in kennesaw without the nationals paying a visit after the olympics? i guess the flash are truly a write off for sahlen.

9. bdaly

bdaly Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Going on hiatus isn't a good option if you have any long-term vision for the team. The track record for teams (and leagues!) going on hiatus and returning speaks for itself.....

10. danjacks10

danjacks10 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
  11. rflkmts

rflkmts New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Marta will play in Sweden .. She had joined Veronica Boquete and Caroline Seger in Tyresö FF .. It has been announced on the official website of the team and the main sites of Brazil .. She preferred to play in a competitive league .. Than making money in Russia or Germany ..

http://www.tyresoff.se/

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The Western New York Flash will be playing their 2012 home games at Sahlen's Stadium.

Sahlen's Stadium finally has proper locker rooms. No more portable toilets. The City of Rochester (which owns the stadium) is looking for a management company to operate it. They're also trying to secure a long-term lease with the Rhinos. Apparently, the stadium costs the city $415,700 a year.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120323/NEWS01/303230031/Sahlen-s-Stadium-soccer

14. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't the deal around $700K with 40 sponsors covering the tab? I saw $2M which was a print error. Then, there was $150K but that's more like Santos money. I'll go with the $500M plus, since her agent has to get his cut, and the Santos check is gone. Anyway, the Sweden money would be more than Germany was willing to pay, so I'm guessing playing for less money goes out the door.

16. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNY Flash 2012 Season Schedule

Saturday - 5/12/2012 - 7:00 pm ET - V FC INDIANA.
    Saturday - 5/19/2012 - 7:00 pm ET - V NY FURY.
    Saturday - 5/26/2012 - 6:00 pm ET - @ BOSTON.

Sunday - 6/3/2012 - TBD - @ NY FURY.
    Saturday - 6/9/2012 - 7:00 pm ET - V NE MUTINY.
    Wednesday - 6/13/2012 - 7:00 pm ET - V CHICAGO.
    Saturday - 6/16/2012 - TBD - @ CHARGE MD.
    Sunday - 6/17/2012 - TBD - @ FEVER.
    Friday - 6/22/2012 - 7:30 pm ET - V FEVER.
    Sunday - 6/24/2012 - TBD - @ NE MUTINY.

Sunday - 7/8/2012 - 4:00 pm ET - V CHARGE MD.
    Thursday - 7/12/2012 - TBD - @ FC INDIANA.
    Saturday - 7/14/2012 - TBD - @ CHICAGO.
    Sunday - 7/22/2012 - 4:00 pm ET - V BOSTON.

LB...

18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taken from the WNY Flash Website -
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/wny/news/press_releases/032112-Flash_Tickets_On_Sale

Tickets for the Western New York Flash’s 2012 season in the Women’s
    Professional Soccer League (WPSL) will go on sale Monday, March 26.
    Single tickets will be $10 for a General Ticket (Sections 101-105, 109-113)
    and $13 for Preferred Ticket (Sections 106-108) for home games at
    Rochester’s Sahlen’s Stadium.

The team is also offering discount tickets through the use of vouchers.
    A pack of eight vouchers in the General Sections is $68 while a pack of
    16 costs $120. Vouchers in the Preferred Section are $80 for eight and
    $152 for 16. Vouchers can be used for any regular season game in any
    combination and are essentially dateless tickets.

Tickets will be available by calling the Sahlen Stadium Box Office at
    585-454-KICK (5425) from 9:00 am ET to 5:00 pm ET.

LB...

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the Flash play the Empire Academy U16 boys last night. I have not seen a women's team play the boys before. Boys outweighed the women player-by-player. Many of the boys seemed to have more explosive first steps than the women. Over 25-30 yards, overall speed seemed comparable. I think ball skills were comparable, with some of the women better than any of the boys. Flash played a 4-5-1 with Adriana on top.
    Played 2 45-minute halves. Score was 3-1 boys.

I believe the weight difference reduced the physical play; not that the women weren't making tackles - just that the reckless/careless stuff and shoulder to shoulder stuff wasn't there. The first 45 minutes there were no fouls that I could remember and only a couple corner kicks - tallk about continuous soccer - quite a workout for both sides.

I did not have a roster with me, but checked afterward. I was impressed by Katherine Reynolds on defense - and liked the efforts by Tori Huster (LD) and Laura Heyboer (LM) on the left side; and Steph Ochs pretty much everywhere. Brittany Cameron played first and Ali Lipsher second half in goal. McCall Zerboni played in the middle of the midfield and worked hard on both sides of the ball; she took more of an attacking role in second half.

Opening day is Saturday 5/12/2012 7:00 PM v FC Indiana. Got my season tickets and can't wait.