Flash 2015-2016 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Oct 20, 2015.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It was installed May 17-29. But BC Place has a roof, so bad weather wasn't a factor.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flash have started the season on the road every year. Even without new turf being installed, I wouldn't expect that to change this year.

3. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a good thing the Flash drafted a goalie. Chantel Jones just announced retirement after 3 years in the NWSL.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They knew for a while that she wasn't coming back.

5. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I had a feeling that might have been the case. Thanks for confirming.
    I think the Flash will really reap the benefit from the 2015-16 drafts in the next 2-3 years.
    They got themselves a good young goalie to groom for the future.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash Senior Account Executive Kayla Kent was on WHTK 1280's Kick This! today. Soccer Sam asked her if there was any news she could share about getting the new coach. She replied that Randall had sworn her to secrecy.
    As for me, I am no longer patiently waiting, I am downright edgy.

7. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is getting a bid odd. Why not inform the public?
    Unless, of course, the Flash are looking to poach someone else's coach, like Portland did.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If they were going to poach a NWSL coach there is no point delaying. The longer they wait and the closer to the start of the season the worse it will look.

They could however be targeting a coach in another league and be waiting for that season to end before announcing it.

CoachJon repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Penn State goalkeeper, at that. Having Britt and Mal Weber with the Flash, is it possible you will become a Flash Fan this year?

10. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bet I am.
    I was an FC KC fan since the inception of the NWSL because of Lauren Holiday and coach Vlatko.
    However, now I'll be following the Flash and SkyBlue (who picked up another Penn State favorite of mine - Raquel "Rocky" Rodriquez).

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, Westfield W-league is still playing.....and Flash asst. coach Clitnovici has contacts in Australia......
    Maybe BlueCrimson, who follows the W-League has some guesses

I do not want Clitnovici as coach, besides if he was it, they would have announced already.

12. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think he would take on the role of HC as he has too many responsibilities within the Academy. He also coaches the U17 girls team, which has done extremely well in the past in the youth program, and has a few top notch players on it. http://www.wnyflash.com/academy/teams/girls-u17/

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brisbane is actually the 4th seed. They kind of snuck in to the finals, while their semi-final opponent Melbourne City had the first ever perfect regular season.

And I don't know if I'd want Wilson. Brisbane have declined a bit since she took over. They made the Grand Final every year under her predecessor Hopkins. Under Wilson, they've only gotten there once and were downright awful last season.

If I had my pick of current W-League coaches, Jamie Harnwell of Adelaide would be my choice.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhino's home opener is April 24. Gotta get that turf done STAT.

"Rochester opens its USL title defense on April 2 at Pittsburgh and will host FC Montreal in its home opener on April 24. The Rhinos play three road matches before the home opener."

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Pretty sure I read an article (when the Rhinos finally had their s*** approved) that, simply because it was so close to the start of the season, that all suggested improvements were being put off until next offseason...

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the statement did not refer to the turf. There are other needs related to stadium infrastructure, parking, and neighborhood improvements that are in the mix, but won't happen this year.

Please let us know if you have any other source of information. I follow Jeff DeVeronica on twitter, and I'm sure if the turf was officially postponed, he would tweet about it.

From multiple sources, As of 1/20:
    "They have a lot up their sleeve when it comes to plans for the team and the stadium. One of the first orders of business, is replacing the field's turf....""We won't be able to execute everything the first season, so please stick with us and come back again season two under our ownership and management, and we'll make continuous strides."​

"The 10-year-old turf, which is in poor condition, will cost more than $500,000 and is expected to be ready for this season."​

"The Dworkins plan to bring much needed upgrades to Sahlen's Stadium including new field turf that should be done before the start of the coming season. They say to expect even more next season."​

The practical side of me believes postponing the turf until the 2016 off season is the right thing to do, but I would love it if all concerned could get it done before April 24.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Might also be good for the new ownership to see what sort of events they have and whether it even needs to stay as FieldTurf. I took a look at the events listed on the "stadium" calendar for 2015, and unless they missed a lot of events, the only thing I saw that wasn't Rhinos or Flash games was the Drum Corps Associates Championships one weekend.

19. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the Flash have Erceg definitely going to Rio and Mewis, D'Angelo, and Hinkle going to Qualifiers, the season becomes even more intriguing. Congrats to them all.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our ladies don't get a coach soon, they'll have to train themselves:

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    CoachJon, lil_one and Blaze20 repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States