Flash 2014-2015 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Aug 31, 2014.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They have six. The league added one for every team this season.

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, six - but with only 4 free agent slots, what difference does it make?

Another roster note, while WNY has the rights to Elizabeth Eddy (USC Trojans) from Sky Blue FC, she is not listed.

3. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well international slots can be traded. So they could get something out of the 2 extras if some other teams needs one.

They haven't announced they've signed her, yet. I'm wondering if they are waiting until after preseason starts to see if she'll even make the team.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SkyBlue has all but said outright they're taking Killion, and the general consensus is that Mewis and Dahlkemper are going to be our first two picks in the first round. After that it gets tricky. Signs are pointing to Chicago taking Huerta 5th. If she's gone, then Colaprico and Gilliland are the logical choices for our other two picks.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home Openeer:

Saturday, May 2
    Western New York Flash vs. Boston Breakers (Sahlen’s Stadium)

There are 110 days from now until May 2. Not that I'm counting.

holden repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Of cooouuuurse not. :p

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have laughed if our home opener had been against the Dash.

8. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Let my season tickets go this year.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, please don't stay away altogether! Maybe when pre-season games come around you might change your mind :D.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    :thumbsdown:

Blaze20 repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, we only have 2 allocated players in Abby and Whitney this year. It's not the worst thing, especially in a WC year, but it still stings.

12. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Comments from the WNY Flash via their Facebook Account:

Michael They STILL owe the Flash a 3rd US allocation from the start.....I guess that will never happen.......

WNY Flash Hi Michael - this year is actually a unique situation for us. Though more allocations would help with salary cap, it would also mean a larger core of our team missing due to the World Cup. A smaller allocation number means most of our team will be around for the entirety of the season. It's one of the things that has been taken into consideration to make our roster "World Cup-proof".

Michael Thank you for the response, the Women's World Cup is a HUGE factor in the upcomming season, however, I still feel cheated by the league from the start and do not understand how it is considered "fair" that KC has 5 US allocations and other teams have less. I completly understand the Flash's intent for this upcomming roster.

WNY Flash Additional things go into deciding allocations, Michael. Sometimes it is mutually agreed upon (by the club, league, federations, players) as to where and if allocations end up. As the NWSL rules state, in certain cases, the league does address this: "For Teams that receive fewer than the full complement of Allocated Players, salary relief may be provided at the discretion of the League."

holden repped this.
  13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So WNY decided that they will rather take the moolah and go after players that would be around all year. Smart.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is better: another year with a crappy unusable player, or money that could be used to get a decent player?

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I still think Herdman and Lines have something going back to NZ.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Lines came to the US before Herdman took over the Ferns.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #192 CoachJon, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    I assembled the below information about Herdman vs. Lines during the Iachelli fiasco, but decided not to post it then.

April 2014 - Herdman and Lines.
    Herdman is about a year and a half older than Lines – so they are complete contemporaries. What might be a bone of contention between them?

It most likely wasn’t from shared time in New Zealand. Lines played there professionally from 1999-2001. Herdman did not go to NZ until 2002 or 2003. Even though Lines played for the NZNT until mid-2004, I doubt the men’s players and women’s coaching staffs interacted much.

There may be some mutual envy. As far as I can find out, Herdman did not play as an adult, while Lines was a youth player in the Bundesliga starting in 1993. By age 22, Lines was playing in the first and second Bundesliga, and remained a professional for 10 years. He was capped 31 times for the NZ National Team, and played in the 1999 and 2003 Confederations Cup finals tournaments.

Herdman, of course has had a more successful coaching career. Notably, he was with the NZ Women’s national team starting in 2003 and ended as the senior team coach, and now he is with Canada.

Therefore I think, if there are any issues between the two, they revolve around Canadian players on the Flash. Before Herdman came to Canada, in 2011, Sinclair and Chapman were key players on the Flash. And Kelly Parker was league MVP for the Buffalo Flash in 2010 and started for the 2011 WNY Flash, until she was traded to Atlanta.

· Could there have been a problem in 2011 with Ali Riley on the Flash and Herdman Coaching the Football Ferns?

· In 2012 Herdman was the Canadian coach and Jodi-Ann Robinson was not a starter and did not get a lot of minutes (WPSL-Elite).

· In 2013, Robinson was back (so 2012 was OK?), and got even fewer minutes.

· In 2013, Canadian Bry McCarthy was a rookie defender out of West Virginia, and got very few minutes.

It turns out the Iachelli allocation was less bogus than initially it appeared. I discovered just now that Iachelli failed the physical and so NWSL did not sign her for the Flash. From: http://the11.ca/2014/04/09/after-iacchelli-fails-physical-canada-loses-another-nwsl-allocation/

"And now there’s bad news on the injury front. And that comes from 27-year-old midfielder Selenia Iacchelli — the former University of Nebraska captain who overcame a series of injuries to work her way back into the senior national-team picture. Iacchelli has played professionally in Italy with Torres, and had been offered a contract by Doncaster Rovers, but that deal was scuttled because she broke her arm in an Edmonton indoor game. After making her debut with the senior national team late last year, she was granted an NWSL allocation in January of 2014. But yet another injury — following two foot breaks and that broken arm that put her career on hold — has set her back again. A serious knee injury has made her allocation spot null and void.

On Tuesday, the CSA confirmed: “While she was initially allocated to the Flash, she didn’t pass the mandated physical and NWSL opted not to sign her for the 2014 season. She won’t be eligible for NWSL as an allocated player until next (2015) season and Canada Soccer will not allocate a replacement player for the 2014 season
    .”

That is what I know.

cpthomas repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    WNY should have asked for Sabrina D'Angelo?

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing the Flash's luck, Herdman will decide to allocate her to a different team next year.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you freaking psychic!? ! Well done.

AND Big Props to Sam Mewis for promoting the Flash already!

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I am pleased with our draft picks this year. Of course I said the same about last year's draft, and we all know how THAT ended up.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Unlike last year when there were limited spots, they actually DO need these players so thats good. I think Dahlkemper, Mewis, and D'Angelo make the squad for sure.

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are spots available for all of them. The only one that is questionable to me is Coleman. I must confess I don't know much about her.

The big question now is the left back spot. We already have Edmonds and Palmer at LB, now we've added Hinkle into the mix. Hopefully either Edmonds or Palmer can shift to RB, because there's a big hole there.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I read somewhere on twitter that Hinkle have a coveted left foot. That's makes her the leading contender in my book.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edmonds is a swiss army knife player - can play anywhere; all she needs to do is keep hustling and play smart. Her training work ethic is near the top of the scale. I think Palmer is the player who will be most vulnerable if Hinkle proves to be the player Naimo and Lines hope she will be.

NameHometownCollegeCollege Town
    Abby DahlkamperMenlo Park, CAUCLALos Angeles, CA
    Sam MewisHanson, MAUCLALos Angeles, CA
    Lynn WilliamsFresno, CAPepperdineMalibu, CA
    Jaelene HinkleDenver, COTexas TechLubbock, TX
    Tatiana ColemanBoca Raton, FLUniversity of Central FloridaOrlando, FL
    Sabrina D’AngeloWelland, ONUniversity of South CarolinaColumbia, SC

· It’s a one-hour drive from Welland, ON, Sabrina D’Angelo’s hometown to Sahlen Sports Park where the Flash train.
    · Sam Mewis is the only other player from the Northeast.
    · Dahlkemper and Williams hail from NorCal, which IS a different state (of mind) from SoCal, although they played in L.A. / Malibu for four years.
    · Hinkle is from Denver and played four years in Lubbock, TX; Mac Davis wrote a song with the lyrics "I thought happiness . Was Lubbock, Texas . In my rear view mirror"
    · And Tatiana Coleman is from Boca Raton, FL. From 1925 to 1953 the Orange Blossom Special ran during winter months from NY to Miami, passing through Boca Raton on the way.