Flash 2014-2015 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to FCKC and to the Reign for great seasons. Y'all need to take a breath, but the Flash have been done for 2 weeks and its time to turn the page.

This thread is for everything in the off-season.

Pedro Losas went to be the coach at Arsenal, so the Flash need a replacement for the WNY Flash / Flash Academy / Sahlen's Sports Park duty.

We don't know if the Australian players will be back, but Canada and Mexico have committed to allocating players, contrary to previous information.

Lots of players will be away for national team duty.

The Flash need defense. They had the third best goal differential, but lost 10 games by a one goal margin. If Adriana Franch does not come back, we may be in a world of hurt.

Here is the first round draft order, assuming no expansion:

1. Houston
    2. Sky Blue (From Boston)
    3. WNY
    4. Sky Blue
    5. Chicago
    6. Washington
    7. WNY (from Portland)
    8. Chicago (from KC)
    9. Boston (from Seattle)

Everyone says Morgan Brian will go to Houston with the first pick. Most say Abby Dalhkemper will go next.

At #3, do the Flash go for midfielder Sarah Killion as best player available? Do they go for Brunjarsdottir or Grubca or Gilliland as a blue chip defender?

Lots to talk about!

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'd be a bit surprised if Abby D. went second - Sky Blue needs a scoring threat way more than they need help on defense. WNY, OTOH, is great on scoring and just needed a little help on D, so hopefully for you guys she "falls" to third pick. I guess it really hinges on if NJ can get Nadim back or not.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash players dominated scoring in Week 1 of the W-League in Australia.

http://thesoccerdesk.com/w-league-week-one-review/

Angela Salem scored in the 48th minute to lift Newcastle Jets 1-0 over Melbourne Victory. I liked this headline:
    Jets Midfield Engine does the Damage
    http://thewomensgame.com/2014/09/jets-midfield-engine-does-the-damage/

Jasmyne Spencer scored both goals to lead Sydney FC 2-0 over Adelaide United.

Samantha Kerr set up both goals by Kate Gill for Perth Glory 2-1 over Brisbane Roar.

4. DougEFresh19

DougEFresh19 New Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this. Aaran worked with Emma Hayes in the past, but Charlie Naimo is a legend. Naimo will help a ton in the draft and in finding the diamonds among the far flung teams in the US and overseas. I hope the two of them also work hard to work out a system or systems of play for next year - basically one with Abby and Carli and one without.

I think this announcement is consistent with making some wholesale changes in the roster for 2014.

Can they convince some more Cali players to live in Buffalo and play in Rochester?

-CJ

P.S. Welcome to the forum DougEFresh19 - Go Flash!

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    One of the reasons Naimo's been so successful is his ability to recruit players from all over the country to play for him. Last season he brought in college players from Wake Forest, FSU, St. John's, Auburn, and UNC. So his knowledge is more than just California players. And if he can convince those players to come to LA for free, imagine what he can do with actual paid players.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a bit of difference between the LA area and Rochester.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Ouch :)

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I totally get Naimo's nationwide reach; I mentioned Cali because of the large number of good players either from or now playing in California, I could have added Florida, Texas and other sun belt states. See next quote.

True: one has wildfires, mudslides, and earthquakes while the other doesn't.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think a big impact will be felt in the college draft. Lines has always seemed to prefer veterans and internationals but with WNY having two high draft picks Naimos knowledge of college players should help them maximize their picks.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #11 holden, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Plus terrible traffic, scorching heat for 9 months of the year (it's October and the high today is 94! ), overpriced housing, overpriced restaurants, the most expensive gas in the continental 48, expensive public utilities, and all the idiots that move here thinking it's the greatest place on earth.

Do you really think the draw of LA is so great that people would rather play there for free than be paid in Rochester? I know I was born here, so I obviously don't have that idealistic view of LA that non-natives have, but still, that seems ridiculous to me. Even though Seattle is one of my favorite cities, I wouldn't choose to do an unpaid internship there over a paid job in Rochester.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you meant this, that Naimo will be helpful in the later rounds. I'm not a trained monkey, but kinda close, and even I could make the right picks at #3 and #7. What Charlie needs to do is convince Aaran that these top flight college players are good enough to start in the NWSL. Based on his past player choices, Aaran does prefer the vets and internationals.
    The answer is yes, considering the very low pay in the NWSL. Finding a job in LA doing whatever and playing for the Pali Blues for free would be more attractive to many good players. However, getting to play with and against WNT players (US and other) probably tips the scale to the NWSL for many.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost half of the Flash's goals from last season came from the internationals, and it's unknown if any of them will return for next season. Add to that the goals from both Abby and Lloyd, both of whom will be gone for at least half the season, and I would say that the Flash do need an offensive boost.

There are a lot of great defenders that are going to be available in the draft, so as much as the Flash need help on defense, I think they can still get a quality defender with their second 1st round pick.

I've been sold on the idea of getting Brynjarsdottir at number 3 if she is available. She has the international experience, she has the physical edge to her game that I'd rather see on our side than having her cause another injury to one of our players, and with Iceland not qualifying for next year's WC, she'd be available all season.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Man, people that don't live in LA really need to take off their rose colored glasses... that's nuts.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It cant be that easy...their number one pick from last year is off the team. The highest of their number two picks never even made an appearance.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And only 1 of their 7 drafted outfield players has stuck with the team (Barczuk).

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's rose colored glasses about LA. Have you spent a winter in Rochester?

Really, though, I'm just kidding about Rochester. Upstate NY is a great area along with neighboring western Massachusetts. It's glorious country. I've felt it is a good location for the NWSL, and I'm not sure about LA. But that said, aren't more people in-migrating to southern Cal than to upstate NY? And, if I'm a top female soccer player in my 20s, would I rather spend the NWSL season in southern Cal or in upstate NY?

18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, the NWSL season is in the summer... so that doesn't really matter. I will admit that I have not been to Rochester. But I have spent many summers in LA and they're not all they are cracked up to be. May and June are usually pretty nice due to the May Gray/June Gloom (a morning marine layer aka fog) keeping it cool (although, this year we didn't get much of that). But July through October are just hotter day after hot day.

I'd rather spend it in the Pacific NW... ;)

cpthomas repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If I were in my 20s Id be happy anywhere :)

CoachJon repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) I'm not close enough to know why #1 pick Courtney Verloo was cut by the Flash - she did make the roster and the 2014 Flash Yearbook. I do not know if it was Aaran's preference for internationals, or if this Stanford girl from Tualatin, Oregon was not very happy in Buffalo, or was not happy with lack of playing time, or a combination. And I doubt that lack of international experience was a big factor. She captained the U17 WC team in 2008, was on the U20 WC team in 2010, and played for the U23s.

b) To clarify for others, second round pick Cloee Colohan was not cut from the team. She never reported. She's from Utah, left U of Portland after one year to play at BYU. I read somewhere she decided not to pursue soccer and to try modeling. I think home cooking had a lot to do with her not reporting to Buffalo.

The Colohan situation was strange; she was a good pick talent-wise, BUT it does seem that Aaran did not talk with her enough to know she was luke warm about soccer, and he wasted the pick.

The other second round pick was keeper Kelsey Wys.

c) RE: Life in Buffalo and Rochester: in LA and SF you need to drive 3-4 hours to play in the snow. Here the snow comes to us. :D

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why did Colohan put herself into the draft? It isnt like she was hoping to get picked by the team in Utah.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The minds of women are as changeable as the drop of dew which rests upon the lotus leaf~Bhartrihari, Niti Sataka (c. AD 625).

http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99191541/m/7771011031
    Posted on Quoteland by Zendam, Quoteland Moderator.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The mind of Lines is a bit dewy itself. I like Kete, oops shes gone, I like Allen, oops she's gone, I like Losada, but not enough to play her. :)

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that. Enter Charlie Naimo. Back a thought - IIRC Verloo was not picked up by any other team, which seemed odd for a player of her talent and resume.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are rights to Yoreli Ricon still owned by the Flash?

Universal Soccer Academy student Yoreli Rincon was announced the "Player of the Tournament" in South America’s World Cup and Olympic qualifying tournament (2014 Copa América Femenina). Rincon was able to maintain a consistent high level of play, dish out assists and score goals at crucial times. In the final game against Brazil, Rincon was announced and awarded both “Woman of the Match” and “Player of the Tournament”.

http://universalsocceracademy.com/home/840391.html

Woman of the Match is very cool - Columbia played Brazil to a 0-0 draw. Tournament had a round robin format so there were no overtime periods.