Flash 2013-14 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thought; AB in the middle and KR on the right.

I'm thinking that when Abby is not in the lineup Lines may go to a 4-4-2, so the two up top can play off each other - the bench players seem to be suited to a short passing game; and it would keep Zerboni/Salem (or other central mids) in the middle of the field.

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Sam Kerr, it looks like Estelle Johnson is out for sure.

-CJ

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news that Verloo is on board. Even though she's mostly a forward, she has experience at CB and is more of a finesse player than Barczuk is. Which one of them gets the starting spot alongside Taylor?

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did she just report late or were there concerns she was not coming at all? Salary holdout (if that is possible;))?

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was concerned that she might not report, since we hadn't really heard anything about her coming in, but that fear was unfounded.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 CoachJon, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    I was with BlueCrimson - afraid that she would not report. She does not have a public Twitter account to track. She was never mentioned in WNY Twitter after draft day. Somewhere in the forums I had posted this:

Courtney Verloo – 5th year senior. Stanford. Major Human Biology. Academic calendar is by Quarters. Winter quarter exams end: March 21. Spring quarter: June 11. Given she’s a fifth year senior, I would expect she will be done with her undergraduate degree March 21. Was in U23 camp in December, is not on travel team to Six Nations Tournament 2/24/-3/6/14.

The Flash announcement on 3/20/14 suggests she was finishing the Winter Quarter, and probably her degree. The fact that she signed through 2015 suggests there were also some contract negotiation going on.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her signing through 2015 does not suggest that. Other players have signed with the League through 2015 without contract negotiations going on.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 CoachJon, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    I went to the Flash-WVU scrimmage this afternoon. Very fun. Never having been to Sahlen’s Sports Park, I enjoyed all the Flash-n-alia on display. The row of framed team jerseys from the 2011 championship team is very cool.

Emma Kete is going to beat out Adriana Martin for the starting wing opposite Sam Kerr. She played faster and thought faster than everyone else on the pitch. She appears to be one of those players you have to be on your toes for every second because you may get the ball when you least expect it. She reminded me of how fast DeVanna can get behind a back line.

I’m guessing this was a 90-minute do-or-die tryout game for Jasmyne Spencer. She played up top the whole game. She isn’t going to make the team. She did not show any skills or hustle better than many other players could show; and she’s small.

First Half……………………………………………………Second Half
    Spencer…………………………………………………….Spencer
    Edmonds, Salem, Lloyd, Rincon, Kete………Ramirez, Lloyd, Kete
    …………………………………………………………………Barczuk, Salem
    Palmer, Barczuk, Taylor, Reynolds……………Palmer, Reynolds, Taylor, Edmonds
    Williams……………………………………………………Williams
    …………………………………………65th minute: Wys for Williams, Roseboro for Kete

I sat ground level, about five yards out of touch, so the view of the far side was not good. Edmonds played on the far side both halves, so I couldn’t see how she was doing.

Ramirez just didn’t see the ball much in the time she played – she and Palmer had no connection.

The Flash defense will definitely be bigger this year compared to last.

The WVU back four is very big and their keepers did very well. Kadeisha Buchanan (Canada WNT) played right center back.

The first goal was good ol’ Carli. Salem rolled her a bunny in the run-of-play and Carli blasted it in from about 20-25 yards. The second goal was the new Carli – her free kick was well placed, the right pace, not just a blast. New Carli has better foot skills, volleying skills, shooting, and passing skills than the ol’ Carli – she’s been evolving over the last couple of years.

Other notes. Angie Salem played in a ponytail, not a bun. House rules are a kick that hits the ceiling is an indirect free kick from the other team at a spot directly below the point of ceiling contact – it happened three times. There appeared to be 200-250 fans there plus WVU parents and guests who were allowed to sit/stand on the team side – some did and some did not.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

it's nice to see rincon on the pitch. i hope lines uses her since she's a special talent without a national team coach.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She'll definitely make the squad. WNY didn't get 2 more international spots if they weren't going to use them. The question is who could she beat out for a possible starting spot?

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see Kete doing well for the Flash. The combination with Kerr gives them speed on both sides, which could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. I do think we'll get to see both Kete and Adriana starting together when Kerr is gone for the Asian Cup. The good news is she'll be around for the entire season. I do worry a bit about her temperament, but that may not be an issue here, because Lines doesn't put up with BS.

I wouldn't really consider being small a minus for Spencer, considering Salem, Zerboni, and Kete aren't big either, and that doesn't hurt them. She could end up getting one of the spots, but it's doubtful she'd see much time.

But do they have the same speed back there? That's my concern.

They posted the video of Carli's second goal. It was awesome. Carli seems to be in fine form heading into the season, and that's a great thing for both the Flash and the NT. She'll miss a few games with NT duties, but I think she could potentially score more goals than last season, and could rack up a few assists with the new targets brought in to feed.

Salem in a ponytail doesn't feel right. Bring back the bun, Angela.

From what I gather, it doesn't sound like either keeper had a lot to do, so who do you think gets the starting job, Wys or Williams?

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK:
    Since they signed Williams and gave her Jersey #1 (per the website), and they have not signed Wys yet, I guess that Williams will be starting. While our keepers were not challenged much, Williams did get caught once when she did not get to a ball soon enough against the WVU attacker about 1-2 yards outside the penalty area. Williams banged the ball off the WVU player and it very well could have rebounded into the net. It went about 5 yards wide.

Defense:
    I saw Palmer operate for a half at LB. She is tall, apparently is left-footed, and seemed to be composed enough on the ball. She seems to have a strong cross. I did not see that she connected with Ramirez, the mid in front of her, very well (or at all). I can’t recall any play where I could judge her speed. I don’t recall her overlapping in the 2nd half. I believe she did in the first half.

Edmonds was on the far side from me both halves, so I could not judge her speed, either.

-CJ

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the player Lines talked about signing is Rincon, or someone else.

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found out that Yoreli Rincon is very active on Twitter (10yorelirincon) and Instagram (yorelirincon). I hope Flash sign her very soon!

http://instagram.com/p/j1d7uGTd6r/

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Half vs. Syracuse..………………………Second Half vs. Colgate
    Adriana……………………………………………..Adriana
    Kete-Verloo- Kerr………………………………Kerr-Zerboni-Spencer
    Zerboni-Salem…………………………………..Barczuk-Salem
    Palmer-Barczuk-Taylor-Reynolds………Palmer-Reynolds-Taylor-Edmonds
    Williams……………………………………………Williams

No subs first half. Second Half Subs: At 29:45 remaining Meier in for Kerr (Meier is a Syracuse Grad); Wetzel in for Barczuk, Salem pushed to left side. At 19:00 remaining Kat Williamson in for Taylor.

I found out that Kat Williamson and Courtney Wetzel were there when I checked my phone in the parking lot. I did not know who Meier and Wetzel were when they checked into the game. Wetzel played like she’s been with the team for a month. Great positioning, great runs, good on the ball, and good passes. Here first touch was a one-touch square pass from the midfield to the right wing – on target. She really stood out to me.

Zerboni owned the field in the second half. Attacking Mid is her favorite position, and she played like it. Two nice assists. In the first half she had two occasions to run with the ball from the midfield and kept perfect contact with the ball. I think she’s ready for the season.

I thought Haley Palmer did not play as well as she did against WVU. I’m beginning to question if her right foot may be a little weak. She also pinched in when on offence a couple of times, when her job is to create width.

I thought Kristen Edmonds had a fair game. She needs to settle down – her play was too frantic and was faked out a couple of times when a more seasoned, comfortable defender would have held ground.

Barczuk cried out “Ow!” at impact from a 50-50 ball head-on collision and fell to the ground. They stopped the clock, and after being checked, she walked off the field gingerly, but not holding her body or legs as if she had a bad injury. She was subbed right after.

Meier was on the far side from me, but she looked fine. She made the right run for Zerboni to find her for the third goal.

Other:
    Wild guess at 300 attendance – both Colgate and Syracuse families were there, but it was fricken cold. Gray sky, HIGH winds cross-field, and 40 degrees for most of the game. Grass field was in great shape, only Spencer seemed to lose footing a couple of times. Field lights went on at 2:30 pm. Taylor served as captain today. Angie was still in a ponytail.

More Other:
    SU’s LCB #20 Blake Johnson will be a sophomore in the fall – she is a bit bigger than Abby, and is listed at 6’1’’. She did a good job in the middle. SU’s RCB, Taylor Haenlin, will be a junior in the fall – she has a solid athletic frame, is listed at 5’8’’, and played with great confidence and skill. I plan to keep an eye on her.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the recap. Much appreciated.

Not bad for someone who just joined the team a short time ago. But I'm a little cautious about her since she didn't really do much for Portland last season. It could be hard for her to see a lot of playing time except for when the NTers are away. Who of Salem, Zerboni, and Lloyd would get benched for Wetzel?

On most other teams, Zerboni would be the first choice at AM. But no way does she move in front of Lloyd. While Lloyd does have the skills to play more defensively, she's better suited at AM.

Maybe she's trying too hard to earn a starting spot?

I hope it's just a precaution and nothing too serious. They're definitely going to need her for the opener with Williamson suspended.

Interesting. I would have thought Zerboni would be wearing the armband. Maybe Lines is trying out a third option in case neither Abby nor Zerboni are available?

Me no likey. It just doesn't feel right.