Flash 2013-14 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Veronica Perez named to Mexico WNT for tournament in China in February. Google translate from
    http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/aspx/WEB_DetalleNoticia.aspx?pnIDNtca=41962

The Women's National Team will participate in the Women's International Tournament Yongchuan 2014, which will be held from 11 to 15 February in China. In this event, Mexico will hold three games, the first against North Korea on 11 February. Subsequently on 13 face China and finally will measure forces against New Zealand on February 15.

The squad led by Leonardo Cuellar will for this activity in 2014 World Cup qualifying to the World Cup Canada 2015 and the Central American Games in Veracruz is why we have sought to give national selected the best training and international exposure. The Yongchuan Women's Tournament for Women Team represents the opportunity to open the year with success and the players start in fighting to keep a place in the Tricolor box.

No.-Nombre-Posición
    1-Cecilia Santiago-Portera
    2-Anjuli Mariana Ladrón de Guevara-Portera
    3-Arianna Jeanette Romero -Defensa
    4-Monica Alvarado -Defensa
    5-Alina l Garciamendez -Defensa
    6-Paulina Solís -Defensa
    7-Bianca Sierra -Defensa
    8-Anisa Raquel Guajardo -Defensa
    9-Liliana Mercado -Media
    10-Nayeli Rangel -Media
    11-Teresa Noyola -Media
    12-Sandra Stephany Mayor -Media
    13-Karla Nieto -Media
    14-Verónica Pérez -Media
    15-Nancy Antonio -Media
    16-Jazmín Aguas -Media
    17-Renae Cuellar -Delantera
    18-Mónica Ocampo -Delantera
    19-Jazmín Ponce -Delantera
    20-Jackie Lynn Acevedo-Delantera

CJ

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 CoachJon, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Given that WNY now appears to have 17 of 20 slots full, I wonder about the draft picks. Each player’s senior year status, as far as I could figure out is below. Only Kelsey Wys appears to be available for the March 10 start of camp. In addition, she is the second goalkeeper. I conclude that she is expected to make the team and be there for the whole season. (18 of 20).

Cloee Colohan is the next player I think has a spot and should be available, if not on March 10, then fairly soon after. She was featured on the WNY web site after the draft and her twitter appeared to be the most responsive to her being picked. Having seen her play via online stream – I believe she will make the team. (19 of 20).

I think Courney Verloo is “in the wind.” That is just a feeling I have.

So 20 of 20 would come down to Steinlage or Hamilton or their 4th International slot; assuming a diamond does not show up at tryouts. Assuming WNY would not have traded for the international slot unless they had a player to fill it, then that player is #20. Otherwise, my guess is Steinlage for size and defense, but Hamilton may be that fireworks kind of player that would be a great weapon off the bench. It appears that if they choose to finish school, they may not be available until after the season starts.

Courtney Verloo – 5th year senior. Stanford. Major Human Biology. Academic calendar is by Quarters. Winter quarter exams end: March 21. Spring quarter: June 11. Given she’s a fifth year senior, I would expect she will be done with her undergraduate degree March 21. Was in U23 camp in December, is not on travel team to Six Nations Tournament 2/24/-3/6/14.

Cloee Colohan – Senior. BYU. Major Business. Winter semester exams end 4/23/14. She redshirted one year at Portland, and then did 2 more years there and 2 at BYU. She could be done with school or only have a light course load right now, or? Was not on U23 team in December.

Kelsey Wys – Senior. FSU. Earned here B.S. in Child and Family Studies in 2013. Was in U23 camp in December, is not on travel team to Six Nations Tournament 2/24/-3/6/14. It appears that there is no reason she will not be in Flash camp on March 10.

Annie Steinlage – Senior. Virginia. Major Psychology. Spring semester exams end 5/9/14. Was not on U23 team in December.

Kristen Hamilton – Senior. Denver. Major Finance. Academic calendar is by Quarters. Winter quarter exams end: March 13. Spring quarter: May 30. Was not on U23 team in December.

-CJ

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CJ, I have seen all these players on the field (in real life, not on tv), with the exception of Steinlage. If I had my choice, the one I would want is Hamilton. I think she is the "sleeper" of the entire draft. So, I hope WNY bypasses her, creating the possibility she might end up in Portland.

Verloo is good, but when she and Kendall Johnson graduated, Kendall was the Oregon player of the year. Kendall is a top notch player, and Courtney has some things she does very, very well, but I don't think she's a "game changer." Hamilton might be (think Tymrak).

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK...Im giving them 18 spot cause I cant see them trading a 2nd round pick for something that isnt certain. That leaves two open slots.

Wys...Either Wys makes or they bring in a vet. Val Henderson was a possibility last year...regardless slot 19 goes to a GK unless the mystery discover player is one.

Verloo - I think Verloo is cant miss - she is versatile, excellent on set pieces and reminds me of Brittany Taylor so she is 20. That assumes she starts in March. Are u sure Verloo hasnt graduated already?

Colohan - I cant see both Colohan and Barczuk making the team. With a small roster it's hard to have two back-ups who do the same thing. I guess the edge here goes to Colohan unless Barczuk upped her game on loan.

Steinlege - It might be a numbers game here. If they already get cover on the back line from a lot of other places.

Hamilton - I think Hamilton presses for a spot. The place they need the most cover is with the attackers. It may come down to her and DiMartino for a spot.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know absolutely nothing about Courtney Verloo... I see DiMartino has posted on Twitter that she has a First Grade teaching job in September. She may be done with pro soccer. I see Hamilton was an academic all-american - maybe she'll be in camp on March 10, ready to impress.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #31 WPS_Movement, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    FCKC could use another outside back, and I think Verloo could play there for them.
    If I were WNY, I would offer Verloo to FCKC for their 1st round pick in the 2016 draft.
    That'll be right around the time when Wambach will be retiring (2016 NWSL season will probably be her last).
    WNY would then have two first round picks in 2016, and those players could learn under Abby in her last year.

Or, WNY could offer Verloo, Kristen Hamilton, and a 2015 2nd round pick to FCKC, for the rights to Sarah Hagen.
    Hagen would then be the heir-apparent to Wambach for WNY.

Although, after Wambach retires, I would love to see Horan come back and play for WNY.
    She would take over right where Abby left off.

And one more idea WNY could explore is trying to lure Kelley O'Hara away from Sky Blue.
    Offering Verloo, Colohan, and a 1st round pick in 2015, could enable them the opportunity to acquire O'Hara along with receiving Sky Blue's 2nd round pick.

WNY's defense would then include: O'Hara, Huffman, Taylor, Johnson, Reynolds, and Steinlage.
    Sahlen would also return in 2015, and Huffman can always move back to the midfield if need be.
    This would arguably become the best defense in the league, if WNY acquires O'Hara.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Henderson was listed in the expansion draft since they had her rights, but I haven't heard anything that makes me think she's in WNY's plans. This one's going to Wys.

If she makes the squad, it'll be as a defender. WNY has IMO the best forward depth in the league with Abby, Kerr, Adriana, and now Kete, so finding time on the pitch might be harder in that position.

I did get to see Barczuk play as a CB in the second leg of Zorky's CL tie against the vile scum that knocked them out. Granted the scum were pretty much in control for most of the match, but she did well overall. The professional experience may give Barczuk an edge. Colohan is great on free kicks, but WNY already has Taylor and Lloyd for that duty, and Perez in case one of the other two is unavailable.

The Edmonds signing just reduced her chances of making the squad. Decent player, but Lines will probably go for experience here.

Whichever one gets a spot, chances are they won't see the field all that much until the NT players are on international duty.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    One of the new rules that popped this year is u can no longer trade the rights to unsigned discovery players.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It's starting to look bleak for DiMartino and Barczuk this year.
    And there may only be like two spots at most available for the 5 rookies when it's all said and done.
    It should be a very competitive camp for the youngsters. They will have to beat each other off with a stick.
    That's what it's gonna have to take to land a spot on the Flash roster as a rookie.

If a player like Steinlage makes the roster somehow, she needs to go to Alex Sahlen and thank her for her pregnancy. Because if it weren't for that, Steinlage pretty much has no chance right now to make that roster.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was very impressed with Vicky Losada after watching this one game from from wc qualifyers. She's #14

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video, thanks! I got a ticket for the WVU pre-season game which has now been announced as "sold out." I haven't been to Sahlen's Sports Park, so I'm looking forward to it.

-CJ

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he will be able to continue to run "clinics" for Franch and Wys. This may be a bigger loss for the Flash than some may think.

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess not everyone with the Flash can separate personal and professional relationships. That's not a knock on anyone, merely an observation. I just hope Vallow leaving doesn't hurt the team.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    What's in the water in Rochester, lol

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Scout22

Scout22 New Member

Nov 23, 2012
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 CoachJon, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Huffman's twitter seems to indicate she is still in Portland. Given the Algarve situation, she may wait and travel with Abby. Johnson, I don't know, I hope she's back.

From the instagrams posted by the Flash, it looked like there were 11 players there today.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-count: 13 or 14

22. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preseason Roster

Name – Pos – Last Club
    Torri Allen – D – University of Georgia*
    Amy Barczuk – D – WNY Flash
    Kristen Edmonds – D – FC Rossiyanka
    Adrianna Franch – GK – WNY Flash
    Kristen Hamilton – F – University of Denver^
    Sarah Huffman – M – WNY Flash
    Selenia Iacchelli – M – Edmonton Victoria SC
    Estelle Johnson – D – WNY Flash
    Samantha Kerr – F – WNY Flash
    Emma Kete – F – Sydney FC
    Ally Lee – D – University of Jacksonville*
    Carli Lloyd – M – WNY Flash
    Vicky Losada – M – FC Barcelona
    Adriana Martin – F – WNY Flash
    Kristen Meier – M – Seattle Reign*
    Haley Palmer – D – San Diego State University*
    Casey Ramirez – D – Portland Thorns FC*
    Katherine Reynolds – D – WNY Flash
    Yoreli Rincon – M – Malmo FF*
    Jordon Roseboro – M – Bay Area Breeze*
    Angela Salem – M – WNY Flash
    Brianna Smith – F – Canisius College*
    Jasmyne Spencer – F – Washington Spirit*
    Annie Steinlage – D – University of Virginia^
    Brittany Taylor – D – WNY Flash
    Courtney Verloo – F – Stanford University^
    Abby Wambach – F – WNY Flash
    Kelsey Wys – GK – Florida State University^
    McCall Zerboni – M – WNY Flash

*Preseason Training Camp Invitee
    ^2014 NWSL Draft Pick

23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 CoachJon, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    Assuming Sarah Huffman and Estelle Johnson will not be on the team this year (not a done deal yet, as far as I know), the starting roster has some interesting challenges.

I predict that there will be no way to to keep Kristen Edmonds off the field; she is listed at D, so she becomes one of the outside backs. It appears she played left wing for Rossiyanka in their two CL games vs. Wolfsburg last year; if she is comfortable on the left, the left back spot will be hers.

Right back will probably be Amy Barczuk to start. My prediction for starting lineup is:
    Wambach
    Kerr Lloyd Adriana
    Salem Zerboni
    Edmonds Reynolds Taylor Barczuk
    Wys

Caged tigers on the bench: Vicky Losada, Jasmyne Spencer, Emma Kete, Yoreli Rincon, and Courtney Verloo (if she ever reports).

To me the Flash mids and forwards need to flow into each others positions as the game dictates, much more than they did last year. They played positions like they were tied to posts last year.

-CJ

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be nice having a proper left back. No offense to Huffy, who did a decent job filling in after Sahlen was injured, but since Johnson isn't back, I'd prefer to have true defenders on the backline. Haley Palmer may also be an option off the bench.

I'd rather have Reynolds at right back, and have Taylor and Barczuk in the middle. Barczuk was at CB during her time with Zorky, and I don't think she has the speed to play outside back. Reynolds does. The rest of the lineup is spot on, though.

I'm not holding out hope for Verloo, but those are some really nice options to have on the bench. Even when Abby, Lloyd, Kerr, and Vicki are away, they could still have a potent attack. Plug in Rincon for Lloyd, Spencer for Kerr, and Kete for Abby. Maybe a slight drop in quality, but still good.