Fitness

Discussion in 'Player' started by benilson09, Dec 21, 2005.

1. benilson09

benilson09 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Hartselle, AL
    Ok, I've decided to dust off my training shoes and get back into it. Since I got married I am terribly out of shape and very weak on the ball. Luckily, I still have my vision and passing abilities but my fitness is horrific and my vertical is sub par. Anythings you guys know of to improve jumping ability??

2. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Plyometrics - they're basically used to increase explosive reaction. So in saying that, not only does it help your vertical, but it will help your acceleration too. You should check out some other sections on the follow site (BrianMac) as it's all EXTREMELY good. Should note, these put stress on your joints so it's important that you're at least somewhat fit before jumping in. That's really your judgement on how fit you are though and whether or not you can get into it.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm (bit of exercises + general info that'd be good to know before starting)
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/armplymo.htm (arm exercises)
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/legplymo.htm (leg exercises)
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymohip.htm (high intensity exercises - MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN GOOD SHAPE BEFORE EVEN ATTEMPTING THESE)

3. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Don't start doing plyo if you're overweight! First you should trim down you far % by aerobic running - starting from 20-30 minutes at a time. Then add some weight training - also start lightly in the first month not to injure yourself. You don't even need to go to the gym at first, your own bodyweight is enough... If you have achieved a good aerobic base and your bodyweight is ok, then you can start doing harder stuff like plyometrics and speed-endurance...

It's very important not to want quick result. Start slowly and the results will stay a lot longer, unlike with forced training - causes injury and form goes away very fast.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jog 30 minutes at least 3 times per week.

5. benilson09

benilson09 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Hartselle, AL
    sounds good, luckily I didn't blow up like Maradona (no disrespect intended) so my weight isnt a factor. So just start off slow for a few week to get in the swing of things. It's been a while so I am looking forward to it.

6. hectic

hectic New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    The Ghetto
    CC05

those plyometrics links are awsome, I really need to work on my explosiveness. I'll start using those drills when I train on my own :D

7. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Put an arm over the opponents shoulder as you jump to hold him down

8. torcida01

torcida01 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Definately trimming down and utilising plyometrics is important for generating explosiveness. I've written alot about it on my site. Great information btw.

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well jogging vs game running is obviously 2 worlds apart. I cant help you with the jumping aspect, but in order to get back into game shape (or at least help you get closer since notihng really emulates a game except for playing in a game) I would suggest alternating workout b/w jogging and interval training on a treadmill.

for the interval, you can experiment but the idea is to run 1-2 minutes at a jog, then 1-2 minutes at a fast pace, and alternate for about 20 minutes.
    You want it strenuous enough to wear you out after 20 minutes, but not enough to have you quit b/4 hand (hence the experimenting factor)..

This is a lot better than "jogging" b/c jogging helps overall aerobic, but doesnt take into account the slowing down and speeding up factors/muscle fibers)

For example I do my slow portion on speed "6" and got to "7.5" or "8" for the fast portion.

10. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    has it helped??^^^also i just pucked up a balancing steper.. does any one know what workouts i could do on this?? will the workouts help?

11. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    I did this today at the gym, used 6 as the slow speed, and 9 for the fast portion, but I wasn't really worn out. I guess I'll have to increase to 10 maybe, do this after lifting, or use incline on the treadmill.

12. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I have no clue what that is... explain it and maybe I can help..

13. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

For 20 minutes? Damn, I am must be getting old, or you are in great shape. the speeds are subjectice, I am a 31 yr old goalkeeper trying to train for field play (taking to many injuries to continue in the nets) so I am trying to build endurance.

just mess around with the minutes and speeds until you find something that works. I would suggest not going over 30 minutes. good luck.

Another routine of a guy on our team who was in phenomenal shape was to up the speed every 5 minutes by .5.. so you start at 6, then 6.5, 7, etc. and after 1/2 hour you are running quickly and are tired. try both and see how it works. it seemed to work for him.

14. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
  15. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    yeah. I've been doing that as well. I have to work on intervals because like you said, it's the closest you can get to the changing of pace during soccer. but I have to also train for the cooper test(2 miles in 12 minutes or under). Essentially, I feel like I should be able to run 5 miles in 34 or under again.

16. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    For most people of average height (and some who are above average) a good 6MPH run is about all you'll need to get your heart and lungs into shape. If you can keep up a 6MPH jog for 20-30 minutes without being dead at the end you'll probably do OK in a typical rec league. If you can keep up 8 or 9 for that amount of time you're good to go. I like to do intervals: 5 minutes of warmup at 5 or 6 mph, then spike it up to 10 for 5 minutes, then down to 7 (which feels like WALKING compared to 10) for 2 or 3, then back up to 10 for 5.... then 5 or 6, then back to 10... until I feel lightheaded or like I shouldn't be running anymore.

17. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree with servotron, but would stress the ionterval training. Much more effective than "jogging" at one pace.

18. stark88

stark88 New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Alright, screw the treadmills and steppers, get outside. Find a long hilly street and run fast when going uphill, and slow when you are going downhill. That is my training for soccer, and since i have done that i have been outrunning all of the defenders in the conference. I used to be chubby and slow, so it should help you whip back into shape, or be in the best shape of your life possibly.

19. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    I wish I had hills by me, because running hills is a real good way to change things up working out.

20. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    does any one know what works outs can be done on a work out trampoline? what benifits does it have?

21. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've been doing about a month of interval training for about 15 minutes each day (along with weightlifting and a little soccer). and its working wonders for my endurance/recovery time. I can feel that i'm getting in great shape.

22. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Besides practicing back flips for a goal scoring celebration, I dont think any...

Seriously, I am not sure what benefits can be had from training on a trampoline.

23. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    ^^ not a big trampoline, one of those small ones that people have to do excercise on :p

24. nycsoccermaniac

nycsoccermaniac New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    hi guys!
    i haven't been able to play much soccer this winter expect on satrudays.
    and i've noticed that my touch on the ball got bad and my balance got bad as well.
    im really fast player. but now after some quick attacks i start "grabbing" my shorts already.
    so is there way i could get in good shape for the upcoming spring season?