Fitness tests for upgrades

Discussion in 'Referee' started by mutinywxgirl, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Okay, since I did my recert yesterday, I've decided that I want to upgrade in the next year. Can anyone help with information for the fitness requirements for each grade level?

Also, any links to fitness programs you've used and had success?

Or, just any general information to help me get to where I want to go?

(and yes, I am doing this as an older female, but, it's something I really want to do)

2. campton

campton New Member

May 1, 2007
    Chi-city
    Check the referee administrative handbook. It's available on the US Soccer website for download i believe. It maps out all of the fitness requirements grade 7- how to become a FIFA.

3. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks - I knew I saw it somewhere - just couldn't remember where!

4. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    From what I've seen and experienced, taking the test 3 times now, the hardest part is the 12 minute run. I believe you will need to get in 5 laps, which is not all that far in 12 minutes, but then again....

It's the hardest part to be ready for if your preparation includes just reffing. You will need to go run some miles, especially as an older person (44 myself!). You just aren't use to running for 12 minutes any longer and just running in circles on the track is BORING which just adds to the perceived tiredness.

Run some before the test, start earlier enough so that you can build up endurance if needed.

Get a MP3 player! Nothing like zoning out to tunes while running to take you mind off how stupid running in a circle is!

5. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Wouldn't 5 laps around a high school track be 2000m or about 1.25 mi? All estimates of fitness tests that I've seen put the minimum around 2600m which is about 6.5 laps in the 12 minutes.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The best way to get ready for the fitness tests is by doing
    interval training, not just the distance
    running at constant pace.

There are several good books and websites
    on this.

PH

7. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    o5iiawah : The minimum distance for the 12 minute run changes with grade and age (I consider it an old age discount). The target distance for those hoping to advance to professional matches (the get noticed distance) is significantly higher.

The minimums of the three USSF tests (12 minute; 50m; 200 m) should not discourage anyone thinking about advancement. Absent injury, a moderately fit person can pass them.

I concur with Pierre Head's view that interval training is the best way to prepare for refereeing, to pass the test, and to avoid boredom if you don't like to run long distances.

While still in rehab from minor knee surgery (is any knee surgery minor?), I helped with the recert and national fitness tests, standing next to a great retired referee. His comment changed my world view of fitness tests: how easy it is to spot people who never learned how to run. Many (I am one) who never ran track know little about running mechanics; we believe that running is a natural human activity. So, my advice to those who aren't runners is to get a book, a video, or a running coach. Learning how to run can help avoid injury, increase fitness, and make a difference.

8. whyref

whyref Member

May 26, 2006
    I am probably in the minority, but I think the current physical fitness test is moronic at best. The focus does not align with the job and it is an ‘absolute’ measure. I am not saying do not have a test; just have one that is better aligned with the demands of the job.

Currently the fitness test is as follows (from page 26 of the admin handbook).

Must be given by any designated U.S. Soccer Federation Instructor. A reasonable rest period should be allowed between events. The procedure is to run the Endurance Test first.

Endurance - 12 min run
    Grade 7 - under 38 = 2200 meters / 38 to 45 = 2000 meters / 45 + = 1800 meters
    Grade 5 & 6 - under 38 = 2400 meters / 38 to 45 = 2200 meters / 45 + = 2000 meters
    National - All ages = 2600 meters

Speed Test - 50 meters - run once
    Grade 7 - under 46 - 9.0 seconds / over 45 - 9.5 seconds
    Grade 5 & 6 - under 46 - 9.0 / over 45 - 9.0 seconds
    National - All ages = 8.5 seconds (run twice)

Speed Test - 200 meters - run once
    Grade 7 - All ages = 40.0 seconds
    Grade 5 & 6 - All ages = 40.0 seconds
    National - All ages = 35 seconds (run twice)