Fisher moves As to Las Vegas, Quakes next?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Apr 20, 2023.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day they can relocate next to the Salton Sea!

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forbes:
    The Oakland A’s Could Set The Wrong Kind Of Attendance Records

The A’s are averaging a reported attendance of 6,243 fans per game. That’s less than half of the second-worst team’s attendance—the Miami Marlins are averaging 14,259. The MLB median for attendance so far this season is 27,001. The Los Angeles Dodgers lead the league with an average of 45,482, which means they sell more tickets in two games than the A’s have sold in 13 (81,167).

The only time Oakland achieved a five-digit attendance total was on Opening Day when they reported 13,522 fans in attendance, though many of the fans who purchased tickets may have opted to stay in the parking lot instead.​

mjlee22 repped this.
  4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Fisher moved the Quakes to Vegas, and if MLS let in another MLS team in the bay area, not sure which team I would follow.

When I was a kid I was a LA Rams fan, when they moved to St Louis I had no bond with the team. Even once they returned to LA had no desire to follow them. That ship had sailed. When Quakes went to Houston I really never had an attachment to them (Dynamo).

Guess I'll cross the bridge when it happens. Until then Quakes it is.

falvo repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Buffalo lost its NBA team nearly a half century ago. That league has been dead to me since.

falvo repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1431 falvo, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    I used to think building and owning your own soccer specific stadium was a security for a team to remain complacent, stay in place and not fold or move away.

I mean if you have your own rent-free ground, why move somewhere else?

As we’ve seen what almost took place with the Columbus Crew, there is no guarantee that franchises will remain stable and in one place.

I’m sure other owners can always come in with an expansion team but my hope is Fisher would just sell the team before that scenario takes place.

Mostly because my heart can't take losing another team.

On the other hand, if Fisher moves and MLS lines up newer or wealthier owners like what happened with Chivas-LAFC, it may be better in the long run.

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No question for me, it’d be the new Bay Area team. I mean this has already happened once with this team. I never rooted for Houston. I became a San Jose Frogs fan until the Quakes came back. Same with the Raiders. Whether you come back or not you don’t move a Bay Area team to LA.

vamanoshasta repped this.
  8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rooted for Houston in 2006-2007, and still watch them today. I cheer them from afar, bht my heart left them when Dom left the coaching seat.

But I support other teams for various reasons because SJ originallynlrft so I went searching for a team. I took the advice from a fella named Maynard who worked for this team.

"Just because the Quakes are leaving, dont lose your love for the league."

He suggested Red Bull, Revs and KC. Whi h to this day I still follow them as much as the Quakes. But dont know the inner workings, rooted history or fans of those clubs like i do here, so i dont discuss them for the most part.

I like Chicago and Miami too.

My life in MLS wont end if the Quakes move again, but they wont be, so no need to dwell on it. Only way the threat of moving happens is if the As become super successful financially.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    “… don’t lose your love for the league.”

Talk about an abusive relationship.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1435 falvo, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Chicago’s club is more the Quakes.

Their owner though, Joe Mansueto seems to have a little more ambition than Fisher in regards to the club.

I was surprised that he moved from 20k SeatGeek Stadium, a soccer-specific stadium in Bridgeview to 62K Soldier Field in 2020.

I don’t know much about the city or the area but from what I read. SeatGeek Stadium is about 12 miles southwest from downtown Chicago so that may be a good reason on why they moved.

11. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Seems obvious to me...they should be the Salt Lake Lakers. ;)

xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've been to Quakes games at both Bridgeview (several times) and at Soldier Field (during Fire's previous residency in 2004). Bridgeview was a better facility, with ample parking for tailgating. It may not have been preferred for the auto-less hipsters in the inner city, however. But how many of them are actually attending games?

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Or the Salt Lake Lickers.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Probably none.

Judging by their attendance numbers, I don’t think they have drawn more than 19k a season.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/chicago-fire-fc/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/432

They average attendance last year was 13k and when you put that many in Soldier Field, the stadium looks empty.

[​IMG]

don gagliardi repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Quakes front office waiting on this A's $500 million ownership stake sale before they sign a DP attacking midfielder (at least if it's one that costs more than Cade Cowell's transfer fee)?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2024-04-19/athletics-intervene-nevada-stadium-lawsuit

As The Times first reported in November, and as Fisher himself confirmed as recently as last month, he is seeking to sell a share of ownership to outside investors for $500 million. He would then use the proceeds to help pay for the new Las Vegas ballpark. Uncertainty around the public funding could spook potential investors.​

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I didn't think it was a possibility before - that Fish might have frozen our budget over all of other financing woes and uncertanties. I figured the Quakes budget was the Quakes budget. But with every week that goes by with our failure to sign a DP attacker, the more I start to wonder. At this point looks like it would have to happen in the summer or it won't happen at all.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation on my part, but if Quakes moved to Vegas and MLS allowed another team in the Bay Area, even with PPP in the South Bay, my guess MLS would want the team to be more San Francisco focused than San Jose focused. I don't think MLS has ever been a fan of the South Bay/San Jose area. Just not sure where they would have them play if they wanted to be SF focused......getting a soccer stadium in the SF city limits (I assume) would be nearly impossible. Unless they try and be the 49ers and have them play at Levi's.....

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The go to place since 1974 for soccer has always been San Jose.

Last year the SF mayor was talking about building a soccer stadium if and when they tear down the mall.

The idea seems like it will be an impossibility and an almost nightmare of a place to put a stadium.

On the other hand, even though anything can be dismantled, I believe Fisher owns PayPal Park outright and I doubt he would want to sell.

JazzyJ repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    AFAIK PPP is owned by Earthquakes LLC - if the team was sold that would be among the assets.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GO FISHER GO!

[​IMG]

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wants to pay $500 million to be the minority owner funding John Fisher's Sacto-Vegas gamble?

"Athletics hire investment banker to secure $500 million in private financing"

suddenly craving gelato...

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More confirmation that he just can't afford to build a new MLB stadium anywhere. Dude should just sell the A's.

bsman repped this.