Fisher moves As to Las Vegas, Quakes next?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Apr 20, 2023.

1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they sell out every game in their 30K seat stadium, they'd finish 17th in attendance based on 2023 results.

The Dodgers averaged ~45K per game. To match their revenue, they'd have to charge 50% more on everything. Average ticket price for LAD = $209. Set the average ticket price for LVA at $300 and they'll be competitive.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193673/average-ticket-price-in-the-mlb-by-team/

Damn, baseball got expensive.

2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    such a bad long term move

I'm thinking back to when the Giants were trying to get their new stadium and were close to moving to Tampa Bay... what was the better long term move for baseball? Sticking it out in SF a few more years in dumpy candlestick to get their palace in SOMA or moving to small market Tampa? MLB moving the A's to vegas is so short sighted... they should've fought to get howard terminal over the line. I get the feeling Fisher doesn't have the funds to do howard terminal between the decline in gap revenues and increase in interest rates making borrowing money for projects like this more expensive.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #1203 JazzyJ, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    The thing about Howard Terminal is that they turned it into a massive development project and then admitted that it was "too audacious". There must have been some middle ground between Coliseum site and Howard Terminal massive audacious real estate project. It's like if you're offering a deal for something you don't really want in the first place, ask for the moon, just in case. So they asked for the moon, and what do you know! It was "too audacious", by their own admission. Oh well, guess we "have to" move to LV!

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A's ripping off Oakland appeared to be the Fisher-Kaval business plan. Maybe their entire business plan.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thread was always idiotic (reminder that I didn't create it or come up with the title, some trigger happy mod broke it off from the Fisher thread) but if shovels go in the ground for this development it becomes really ridiculous to imagine cheapo Fisher abandoning the stadium and practice / training facility he'll have paid for and built in expensive San Jose (selling eventually is a different story) in favor of the Vegas desert.

Boysinblue, JazzyJ and Quakes05 repped this.
  9. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anybody think Fisher feels this way?

As the person who makes all of the final decisions, the onus for the state of the team ultimately rests with you. How do you plan to accept that culpability in your effort to turn things around?

I look in the mirror and the buck stops with me. If there’s anything wrong with the Raiders since I’ve taken over and it’s been a failure on the football side, it’s my failure. I’m the one who’s hiring people. So, there’s nowhere to pass any of it but to me. But we’re coming up to bat. Let’s see if we can get it right this time. I would love for the guys that are in this job right now to be able to keep it, but we’ll see how that goes.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Does Fisher not have any money?
    2. How does Dave Kaval still have a job?

"Trop land owner (Gaming and Leisure Properties, Inc.) brought in respected Marnell Companies for renderings and consultation—conclusion was space is too limited for retractable roof design, so more room needed, but due to proximity to the airport, the planned resort can’t make up revenue (due to smaller footprint) by building higher. These obstacles in addition to Bally’s Corp. having no resources and A’s having provided no clues about its $1 billion contribution. If the A’s move happens at all, look to the Festival Grounds or Rio."

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sell the team.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Building a new domed baseball stadium and playing on artificial turf would be absolutely ridiculous in the 21st century when MLB teams are worth billions.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I really wonder why he doesn’t sell. All these headaches, and everyone hates him, and it’s not getting any better? Nowhere to play the next what 3 years? And he’s got buyers.

bsman repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be so life-affirming if Fisher’s Las Vegas stadium funding falls through.

bsman, OWN(yewu)ED, SJTillIDie and 5 others repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost as exciting as the Burgum presidential campaign...

SJTillIDie and JazzyJ repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most Fisher has spoken in his entire life...

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Echoes of AEG “giving everything they had” to find a local owner for the Quakes or to find a stadium deal here.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1218 JazzyJ, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Reminds me of the time the SJ Sports Authority guy (Dean Munroe?) tried to use a save the Quakes rally to get a cheer for A’s to SJ and he got … crickets.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Same guy quoted in the Mercury News as saying "the universe of people who like soccer is very small."

bsman, Boysinblue and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1220 JazzyJ, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    :rolleyes:

It was a monumental failure to read the room. Here he was standing in front of a crowd in Quakes gear, there for a Quakes rally, and he thought that “yeah, soccer, OK, but what everyone here *really* wants is A’s in SJ!”

Maybe the “universe of people who like soccer” is small when the universe is his SJ Country Club buddies but maybe he should get out more?

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unprecedented levels of incompetence...

‘Strong Public Schools Nevada’ Files Lawsuit Challenging Constitutionality of Stadium Project | Nevada State Education Association

Las Vegas Mayor: A’s Plans ‘Don’t Make Sense’

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman applauds the city’s rise as a sports destination with one exception: the Oakland A’s. Mayor Goodman told Front Office Sports that she believes the team’s plans at the Tropicana site don’t make sense and that the team ought to stay in Oakland. She also discussed a potential NBA team there, and how the city will adjust in future years hosting Formula 1 to mitigate harm to small businesses.
    So Vegas doesn't even want them?? :ROFLMAO:

QuakeAttack, TyffaneeSue and nick p repped this.
  22. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one wants to do business with john fisher

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsman repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    its amazing Quakes fans didn't run him out of town years ago.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm betting JF only sets foot in San Jose for a Quakes game now and then. If he has any real ties to the community, I'm unaware of them.