First XI: Good News and Bad News...

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/firstXI0930.html

I can't say that Donovan comes to my mind as the best player in MLS right now, but then again, if it isn't Donovan, who is it? Ruiz, Twellman, Bocanegra, Hartman, Onstad..?

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a closing note to this item, the '99 Mutiny are also famous for Mamadou Diallo's pre-game speech when he told the squad, "I need to score to get paid. It's in my contract. Sorry, but I'm not passing."

Classic.

3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last two games: 5 goals, 1 assist in a 4-1 and 5-2 thrashing of Wizards and Burn.

As far as "right now" goes, who could conceivably be better?

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "The Fire and Rapids meet twice down the stretch, and don't be surprised if they meet a third time…in a place known as the HDC."

Damn. We just got handed the Jeff Bradley jinx.

Hopefully, it won't have the same long-term effect on the Fire as it apparently has on the Burn

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

DeRosario. His hat trick beat out Landon's brace last weekend. :)

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Doesn't that just work on pre-season predictions?

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm fairly certain he's made play-off predictions after the regular season has ended (or thereabouts) that picked the Burn to go all the way. But let's hope it's limited to pre-season predictions.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

That's great, but how has he done against competent competition?

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's done just fine against competent competition. Plus, I don't recall anyone else getting a hat trick against Kansas City... or scoring two goals and an assist both times they played against Dallas. Why is it so hard for people to give this kid his just dues?

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

Here is how Landon got his 12 goals and 6 assists:

Col: 0 g, 1 a
    KC: 0 g, 1 a
    LA: 1 g, 0 a
    Clb: 1 g, 1 a
    Chi: 0 g, 1 a
    Metro: 1 g, 0 a
    KC: 1 g, 0 a
    Dal: 2 g, 1 a
    NE: 1g, 0 a
    KC: 3 g, 0 a
    Dal: 2g, 1 a

It looks like Donovan loves playing KC and Dallas.

It's crunch time. Since the All-star game, Donovan leads all players with 20 points.

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/fan_pages/092903feature.htm

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

This is the key stat.

The only reason why Donovan might not make it is:

a) some incredible finish by someone already being considered to get his team in the playoffs or more favorable playoff position (e.g., Twellman); or

b) the fact the Quakes can seemingly win with or without Donovan, as they've basically won all year, regardless (though I haven't gone back into the records to see what their W-L-T is with and without LD).

13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: Re: Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

My guess is that this is due more to the time of year than it is to the opponent. I'm in the LD is the best in MLS camp with one caveat: when he wants to be. After the WC last year and early this year he was mailing in games. Now he's gotten more serious.

Go to MLSnet.com and look at Donovan's second goal. Notice where he is when the pass to Mullan is made, and follow him to the goal. He ran from the midfield stripe to the 6 yd box in about 0.3 seconds. He blows past the Dallas defenders like they're running in mud. That wasn't Dallas's poor defending, that is LD deciding to turn on the jets. Something he wasn't doing much of previously.

Then watch DeRo's 2nd goal. After that regretable backpass, LD is on Behnke before Behnke knew he was coming, and Behnke was looking straight at him. Defenders have no idea how fast he can close the gap when he decides to.

If you want more, go look at the goal in KC, where DeRo gave him the beautiful assist across the goal mouth to the far post. LD was at the near post close to the top of the box when he passed to DeRo. Then he cut to the far post like his hair was on fire. LD doesn't always play like that and I think it frustrates the hell out of his coaches because they know he is capable of doing that every game. Hence Yallop's quotes in the paper a few weeks ago about John Spencer being the best player in MLS.

But Donovan is the best player in MLS when he wants to be.

14. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

Well that just proves that we've made it. We've got a bonafide superstar that's a headcase.

15. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First XI: Good News and Bad News...

No, I really didn't mean it like that. He not a nut case. It's just that he's not super-competitive everytime he steps on the field. When he wants to be competitive - like say in the World Cup - he is the best player in US. But a lot of times in MLS he doesn't bring that emotion to his game.

Some guys like Mullan and Mulrooney on the Quakes ALWAYS can say they gave 110% at the end of the game. Landon just doesn't always do that. Who knows why.