First thoughts on tonights game on FSC.

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by CaptSteamer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. CaptSteamer

CaptSteamer Member

Nov 8, 2006
    St.Louis
    Why is Milwaukee having trouble drawing a good crowd on a Friday night?

2. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like most people are sitting on the camera side.

3. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These camera angles are SOO annoying. Indoor soccer can be produced well as a TV sport, as ESPN showed a few years ago. ESPN did such a great job. Why does FSC insist on showing the game from the ends? Just use a damn sideline cam...

4. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first game I've seen on FSC, but seriously, this is terrible.

You can't see plays develop at all....

5. CaptSteamer

CaptSteamer Member

Nov 8, 2006
    St.Louis
    The sound needs work as well, many times during the game the crowd was louder than the announcers. Great game though.

6. Kevin McMillan

Oct 17, 2006
    Edmonton
    Pappas looks a fair bit more svelte then he did a decade ago

7. CaptSteamer

CaptSteamer Member

Nov 8, 2006
    St.Louis
    It seems the Sharks will once again be slaughtered on TV next Friday, Detroit will be too fast for them.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. This was the first indoor game I've watched in about 6 years, and the first televised indoor game I've seen in 8 years... and while I thought it was a good game, the camera work was absolutely atrocious.

FSN used to do a great job with CISL games in the '90s... but in this case, the truly annoying thing about this production was that, at least a third of the time, the camera was zoomed in so close that there were only one or two players visible on the screen. Sure, a close-up once in a while can be a good thing, but it's just impossible to follow a game when you can see the player with the ball, the guy marking him, and no one else. Wider camera angles, please!

One would think FSC could do better here, seeing as they supposedly specialize in soccer, and they should be well aware of the fact that televised outdoor soccer in the US suffers from exactly the same problem. Instead of fixing it, they make it a hundred times worse when they show the indoor game.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I say this for about the millionth time?

Fox Soccer Channel has absolutely nothing to do with the production of most of the games they show. They punch a button and take someone else's feed. They don't produce most of these games. The fact that they "supposedly specialize in soccer" has absolutely zero to do with what you see most hours of the day on FSC.

They produce their MLS games (now - they used to just take a feed and supplant it with their own announcers) and some of the USNT games. Everything else is handled by other people, with different ideas and limitations.

10. Glavin22

Glavin22 Member

Apr 8, 2007
    St Louis
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borderline unwatchable. My wife lasted about 5-10 minutes before she got up and left the room.

What team sport shows close ups of the ball and nothing around it? When they pass or shoot the camera has to swing wildly and hope it finds the right spot.

The angle behind the goal is ridiculous since you can't actually see the goal?!?! What's the point of that? If they shoot and you can't tell whether it goes in, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Just because I was so annoyed, I got a stop watch out. During that 20 actual game play minutes, they only used the "standard" center line normal camera shot for a little over 5 minutes. They rest of the time it was the other nonsense.

Also, you'd think after 3-4 games they'd figure out how to keep the clock and score on the screen.

This is such an amateur production. At least King was a better color man than the guy in Orlando who was literally shaking during the pregame and kept waiting for the "bank shot" off the restarts.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They used Kinger? Cool.

12. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinger did an excellent job as a color commentator. Who knows? Maybe he has a future there...

13. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    That's funny b/c I really liked the guy in Orlando. I thought he was the
    best of the year.

Matt

14. Glavin22

Glavin22 Member

Apr 8, 2007
    St Louis
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Maybe I just couldn't get past his shaking hands and constantly looking down at cue cards during the pre-game to notice.

Guess if we see him again, I'll give him a second chance.

15. scrlvr78

scrlvr78 Guest

It was a bit difficult to watch last night. I also don't like the goal-area camera angles. Maybe when the balls down at the other end, but not when it's right below you. I don't mind when a camera lingers on a player for a bit, but I mind when the game's still going on. I remember once they focused on Vorberg and I was thinking, "Hello, there's a game taking place right now." I missed when he got hurt and wished there was replays. Oh well. It wasn't a completely bad broadcast, but it could have been better.

My first thought when the game was on was, "It's EMPTY!!" Wow, I thought there would have been more advertising or something to get people to fill the seats. Nationally televised and all....

Kinger did a great job.

16. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announced attendance was 2,690, which is not very good for the Wave.

17. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Am I the only one who thought it was just fine to watch? Maybe I'm used to watching them on TV being a local. But yeah the attendance was terrible. We average 5-7k a game though. The streets are still crappy from the snow, ppl don't want to go out.

18. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    The Wave hasn't average 5-7K per game in a few years now.

19. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    The fact is that sacrificing quality camera angles just to have diversity in the shots is a terrible idea. Anyone in the business will tell you that, especially with sports, you have to constantly switch your cameras so that the production doesn't look like a one-camera high school game. But, this is the complete opposite with these MISL games. I don't care who is producing them, they need to realize that the camera angles they are picking are ruining the game for TV. At the Ironmen's home opener, I sat almost dead center at the top of the lower level, literally right next to the camera and media booth. The view is perfect. That should be the camera used throughout the flow of play. The only time you switch from those is when the ball gets held up in the corner, and then you pan out afterward. There is your camera diversity. There is a good broadcast.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shoulda said hi. :)

21. 4everStorm

4everStorm New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    That is very bad. Weather bad or not I have never seen a Wave game that low.
    Yes,the time has come now for people to stop taking shots at only the Storm attendance because it is looking bad everywhereI know the Ignition claims to have selloouts,but the most they can get there is around 3000.
    The Storm is in their 4th season and are slowly improving , the other teams like Milwaukee and Philly have been regressing back to 3000
    At this time , a 3000 average would be good for the Storm ( for now ) but that is trouble for teams like the Wave and Philly who have seen 6000 on a regular basis.

As far as the Wave,could this be because the Packers are doing so good and people in Wisconsin just are not ready to start the Wave season?

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just showed you four games that were lower.

You're just never ever going to give that up, are you?

23. 4everStorm

4everStorm New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    MAYBE NOT,

24. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Saturday, we put it on the weather (the Monterrey game had to happen during a sleet storm. 2/3 of the tickets sold didn't show).
    Last night, I couldn't tell you. Christmas parties? College students preparing for exams? Don't really have a good reason.

It was evenly distributed. We didn't really favor a side, at least that I could tell.

25. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're hoping that things will pick up as the season rolls on. I think attendance tends to get larger as the season progresses (word of mouth is huge for our attendance).