First Stadium Renderings Available

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by murtaugh29, Oct 19, 2004.

1. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm excited!!!! I love the new look. It may not be the most "perfect" looking soccer stadium ever introduced to the world. But like Mousboy said, it's our OWN friggin grounds. No sharing with a college, no sharing with the Bears, no scheduling conflicts with other misc. events . . . no football lines!!!!

This is quite possibly the most important achievement for the Fire organization, allowing for more financial stability. Kudos are in order for Peter and the whole organization. Great work, I can't wait to see us in the new Section 8!

Our own grounds!

2. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank god for the helicoptor pad! What have you've been smoking?

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    And I thought the helipad comment had slid through unnoticed.

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    We can call it the Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial Heliport.

5. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    After a favorable first impression, I'm growing disenchanted with this design. It looks a bit too much like a near north yuppie loft from the outside.

My preference would be for something more ornate, but still very Chicago. How about some design elements in tribute to the Pullman Tower destroyed by a 1998 fire? Taken literally, the suggestion is a bit much, but how cool would it be to have a unique facade (and clock tower) along these lines:

http://www.eliillinois.org/30108_87/main/icnadmin_building.jpg

Belching smokestack necessary for BBQ pit roasting spitted sides of beef.

Other thoughts:
    - worried upper deck recessed too far, don't wan't another new comisky miscalculation
    - must say "FIRE" on the seats on one side, "CHICAGO" on the other

6. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Don't get me wrong, I'll have get season tickets and party loud and proud in our new stadium regardless of the design. Please don't mistake my critical eye for anything more than what it is - I want our stadium to be BEYOND compare. When people mention Crewdump or HDC or Dallas Pit, I want it obvious that the Firehouse is a cut above. Chicago's architectural history can be a tough burden to bear - but I think we should try - because we are Chicago... my opinion.

I don't mean to be disingenuous - Hats off to the Fire and to Peter for making this happen! I'll be there for the opening with a big ol' smile on my face.

7. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    This was probably mentioned long ago, but was there any competition for the design like there was for the library many years ago?

8. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Ok, I think I might be some kind of minor authority on the subject of architectural worth as it relates to Chicago.

Wait for the full color artists' rendering before judging this on architectural merits. That's all I ask.

9. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I suggested this but in the interests of time and cost AEG's house architects (Rossetti Associates) handled the design.

10. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Ok, you've convinced me. Just as the 4 rows of stands in front of it will forever be the Freddy Pascente End, and the north side of seats will forever be the Harlem End, the stage canopy will forever be the SR Vaughan Memorial Heliport. I'll make signs. :)

11. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Turner Construction (Soldier Field's contractors) to recieve BView bid

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/seast/203seyt3.htm

You know, sometimes working with the mob has its advantages.

12. kuhl

kuhl BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 21, 2002
    St. Paul
    Wow I really like this design. It is a great mix of Chicago tradition, Praire school, and modern architecture. I wish NSF would of ended up looking this nice. My general impression is that this stadium will rival Wrigley for the most beautiful in the Chicago area. My only complaint is no bell for the tower. Perhaps we need to pass a hat or start a fund drive for a bell.

13. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    Maybe there is a possibility for a donated bell.

14. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Roast Goat!!!

[​IMG]

15. zlzfire

zlzfire New Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Frankfort, IL
    I agree that no one should get TOO hyped/pissed about the stadium design yet. Black and white renderings are not useless, but they will not even be close to doing the stadium justice. For all we know under the shadow of the far roof in the seats it could say 'Fire' and 'Chicago' under the near roof. It could be fantastic use of glass and brick on the outside. Heck on the helipad I can almost see the H! Really! :) Anyways, I am not getting too crazy either way til I see some color and some more finalized drawings.

Zak

16. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Thoughts on the rendering

Looks like there is a flight of steps to the second level on the outside of the stadium. Is this an homage to Soldier Field? What is the specific utility in it? There are no colonnades, and there is no view to speak of. Maybe this is to be essentially a party deck? Or maybe there will be a beer garden up here for the pub in summer?

On the south side I see ComEd easements. Are there power lines running through here? Are there power lines running underneath here? Maybe this could be some nicely landscaped greenspace.

Finally, could someone give me a quick explanation over the desperate need for a clock tower? I think I read somewhere that Arsenal's stadium has one, but I hope that's not what this is all about. IIRC, large clocks were common in Chicago at factories so that the workers knew what time it was, with bells to mark the beginning and end of shifts.

17. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a really nice design. I hope it holds up as much as possible.

18. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I brought it up as a homage to the Pullman clock tower. Clocks are expensive to maintain, though. Maybe add it later.

19. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Yeah I noticed that too. I think that's probably what they had in mind when they added it. Soldier Field colonnade was the first thing that popped into my mind. I think if they use it for a biergarten most supporters would overwhemingly approve.

There are indeed high-tension power lines running across the southend of the site. I'm certain they will try to do some landscaping with that. But they can't probably plant trees. But there are apartment building on the other side of 71st street. So they probably want to add some trees along the street to buffer the noise from the ground.

Its not going to happen. Give up the ghost. Lets just be happy we arent going to be playing Soldier Field with this **********ty pitch any longer. I think looking at some lo-res 15th generation images wont look as good as seeing the high quality final images. So as Liam says wait to we see them before passing judgement. There is no use in suggesting a overall design change. Yes architechture run through the veins of every real Chicagoan and we all have our likes and dislikes, but at the end of the day. How can we complain about this. Think lads, they acutally took the time to incorporate the Chicago Praririe style into our ground. I for one am grateful. So when the ColumbusSpew visits or the people from the Dallas Wok visits, they will know they are visiting Chicago!

20. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I think the stairways are most likely crowd egress from games.

Kind of like how the United Center has exit-only stairwells.

21. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    This will probably help too:
    [​IMG]

22. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    That's definately making the move over. Along with the section 8 stone, of course.

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I'm thinking maybe remaking the sign and donating that to the Fire hall of fame. maybe the original bedsheet too.

It'd be great to have that engraved over the doorway to the tunnel or something . Oooh, damn.

24. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    I have a feeling that something important and significant should be engraved in the GREAT ARCH. Does anyone have any ideas? I rather see something siginficant than see REPLACEABLE CELLPHONE BATTERY PARK engraved. How about CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER CLUB EST. 1998 ? Suggestions....

25. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    You missed the point of my last paragraph. I was just asking for an explanation of the posts wanting a clock tower. I am not for the tower.