First play-off game

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Lyle, Oct 26, 2003.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    the way hankinson has been coaching (starting zz instead of cc?) he'll start cannon

2. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope so, Garlick hasn't exactly been on top of his game lately.

3. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Neither has Borchers but it would be idiotic to bench him.

4. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but we don't 3 other central defenders waiting on the bench to take his place either though.

5. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Touché, Capone.... Touché.

6. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Tuesday Playoff Game

My biggest concern with Tuesday's game is the condition of the field after the Broncos / Pats play on Monday night. After the football season starts, I always buys seats for the Rapids games close to the field (row 4 or 5) that way I don't notice the football "grid iron" as much.

7. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    After seeing the scores of these first few playoff games, I'm pretty interested to see how the aggragate goal system works out. It should change the dynamics of game 2 when a team knows not only do they have to win but they have to win by 2 or 3 goals.

Makes me excited for Tuesday.

8. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Re: Tuesday Playoff Game

Hey, just curious but, DC United's game this past weekend did not have any american rugby lines on the field. How do they get their greenskeepers to get the crap lines off the pitch and why can't the rapids?

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone thinking of going to the Rapids game and then the Spiritualized concert imediatly following?

10. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Tuesday Playoff Game

I'm pretty sure DC United are the primary tenants in RFK. The Redskins have their own stadium now. That would explain why there weren't any gridball lines.

11. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting results from the weekend matches. 2-0 in every single game, the home team winning one (LA) and the away teams winning two (Chicago and NE). Let's see if Colorado can keep symmetry by winning at home 2-0.

Really, amazingly, DC let Chicago have that late goal. From the replays it looked like they were pressing for an equalizer and got caught on a quick counter. BAD strategy in my book. This is a 180 minute game, that's like giving up a goal right before halftime, but more importantly, makes them have to win by 2 in Chicago. Stick a fork in DC, they are done.

I do think this emphasizes the importance of a 2 goal win going into the 2nd leg. If Colorado can get 2 goals up on KC (winning 2-0, 3-1, whatever it takes) they will have a huge mental edge going into the 2nd match. While KC has beaten us by 2 this year (4-2, last meeting), I think it will be a pretty big mental obstacle, knowing that they have to win by 2 in the 2nd game. Obviously, the first game hasn't even been played yet, but if you look at the other 3 quarterfinals, San Jose, the Metros and DC all have a very steep uphill battle. I hope we can create the same dilemma for KC.

12. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Someone, anyone, help my lazy ass with any TV/Radio coverage for the tuesday match.

I'm too hopped up on snickers and kitkats to look for myself.

13. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Gotta love this quote

http://www.cybersoccernews.com/mls/rapids/031102rap-wizadv.shtml

"Kansas City brings its full range of weaponry, but as Hankinson noted, "We have had very positive results when Pablo takes care of Preki." But in the games where Mastroeni has not been on the field, it's been like an AARP scoring fest."

14. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Home Radio: KNRC 1150am

No local tv coverage, except Shootout Package.

15. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I agree, I think a 2-0 result is huge. I think it's pretty much over for any team that has to go into a game knowing that they have to win by 2 goals just to get to OT. I'm sure there have been plenty of European matches that can prove this wrong, but that's the exception more than the rule.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

16. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    A 2-0 result is big, but it's hardly a guarantee of anything especially if it is the home team in the second game that needs those 2-plus goals.

Think of it this way: say the Rapids win 2-0 at Invesco. Given how they've played over the past 6 games (especially their defense), do you really have that much confidence that they can go to KC and keep the Wizards from winning by 2?

Wish I could say I had that kind of confidence, but we've seen the Rapids give up 4 goals 90 minutes in three of the last four games.

My bigger concern is over Hankinson's belief that so long as the Rapids play compact with pressure on the ball and hard tackling -- i.e. defensively rather than creatively -- "the attack will take care of itself." (see Pat Shea's article on CyberSoccer)

17. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I do agree with Hanki that the Pablo/Preki matchup will be a key. If Pablo can shut Preki down, that eliminates 50% of KC's offense right there. (and hopefully, Pablo keeps his head in the game too, we need him for all 180 minutes of this contest)

Wait, actually, make that close to 2/3 of KC's offense. KC scored 48 goals during the regular season, with Preki accounting for 12 goals and 17 assists. 29 of KC's goals came from this guy's involvement.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Yeah but if we win 2-0 at home then in Kansas City we can let KC score 4 as long as we score 3 like last time.

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    The "last time" we played at KC we only scored 2 to their 4.

Which would send us to overtime, not something you want to do when you were just outscored 4-2 in 90 minutes.

Short of winning by 3 on Tuesday night, there will be no safety net heading into KC.

20. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I thought FSRM (channel 26) was showing a tape delayed game starting at 8pmMT

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gotta love this quote

Great quote.

Also sad to hear Trembly tore his ACL and is out for 6 months. He'd come a long way this year and now he has a long way back.

22. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    road games only are shown on fox sports

23. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
  24. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Ok, Hanki, explain this one. You bench your starting keeper for the playoffs. Regardless of who's behind the guy, that's like benching your quarterback before the playoffs in the NFL. It just doesn't make sense.

Now Cannon may be a great player, won an MLS Cup, etc..., but I'm not sure he's played a meaningful game in 6 months! And now you want him to anchor your team in the playoffs? If I was Garlick, I would be pissed.

I realize the team was bleeding out goals the last couple games of the season, but reading the game reports and even reactions here in the forum, no one really thought Garlick was at fault. Thor had a tough couple of games, and the defense didn't play up to their solid, midseason form. So you scapegoat the keeper?

Don't know off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure Garlick had 9 shutouts this year. I think the team record belongs to Hahneman with 14, but 9 is solid, and I believe it was a career best for Garlick. He had a good year. I don't know what to think of this....

I really wonder how this will affect the team overall. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe they didn't like Garlick and they all really wanted Cannon, so they let in 12 goals the past 3 matches, but I doubt it. This stinks of a bad move at the absolutely wrong time. If they lose this playoff series, Hanki should be canned.

25. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    I should clarify that the "doesn't come as much of a suprise" is about Garlick not being here next season. It's been slowly building to this ever since they started looking at Cannon. The sudden switch in goal for the playoffs on the other hand... YIPE! Talk about the pressure this puts on Cannon. I just hope this works.