First non Euro or Sth American nation to win a World Cup???

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by AussieLFCfan, Sep 7, 2007.

1. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who do you think will be the first non European or Sth American nation to win a World Cup?

2. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    It will be between the usual powers for a long time. Nobody on that list could put togather a real run at the cup.

3. deciiva

deciiva New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    New York,NY
  4. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    You should atleast have "none of the above" as an alternative, seriously. It's a faulty poll.

5. The-FIFA-kid

The-FIFA-kid New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Scotland
    how do you create a poll?

6. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Probably be an African nation, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria or Ghana.

7. super_k

super_k New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Boston... now HK
    Cameroon, Nigeria or Mexico

8. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will happen, maybe in 3 years, maybe in 100, but it will. I'm putting my money on Mexico.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's what I think too.

10. goke313

goke313 Member

Feb 12, 2006
    it will be between nigeria,ivory coast or ghana

11. fitbaed

fitbaed New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Theres too much instability in African soccer to produce a world cup winning side. Unless their qualification system changes, youll continually see what we saw last year in Germany. Traditional African powers getting knocked off the totem poll because of their winner take all qualification system. Without regular participation in the tournement, there is no way any of those nations will be able to put together a generation capable of winning the world cup. You dont build a footballing nation over night. Australia, and Japan both had their golden generations, and are clearly on the decline. With Mexico and the United States regular play on the worlds biggest stage, superior financial situation, and more and more players abroad, the first world cup winners outside of Europe, or South America, will certainly be from Concacaf. Its a matter when though, as it could be a very long time

12. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    lol, what golden generations? Japan's pro league only started a little before the MLS, and Australia's league just started a couple of years ago. How can you claim they are on the decline when the domestic leagues which produce talent have just gotten started?

I chose Mexico, but only because they are the best team in the list at this time.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nigeria....

14. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    USA or Mexico

15. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not with Berti Vogts as the manager.

16. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about China ten years from now..?

They got money enough and there is a mammoth untapped talent pool as soccer is popular in China.
    All they need is developing their youth academies and some government support, and I bet they know it.

17. MrEleganza

MrEleganza Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Delaware, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agreed. A non-European/SA team will NEVER, EVER, EVER win a World Cup. :rolleyes:

18. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd say Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana or Mexico.

19. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
    Australia the under dawgs...

20. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Mexico has the best shot in 2010, but overall I'd say long-term that the USA will end up having the best chance out of those listed

21. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually, I tend to think more and more that it will come from an unexpected country. After all, why wouldn't there be a 2004 Greece during the World Cup ? I know that's there's an extra-round, but it's still manageable. South Korea was pretty close in 2002 (though I really doubt they could lose to Brazil, they miraculously got a draw against France in 2006).

22. Osnator

Osnator Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Osnabrück, Germany
    My bet is on China in 2038.

23. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    lol, weak post. Yeah I'm an idiot for thinking it's a faulty question. Sure! a non- European/SA nation can, just as Italy or Japan might win the Olympic gold in hockey one day, or France becoming the worlds only superpower. All of the above can absolutely become true.

But which non-Euro/SA team could be even the smallest of darkhorses and be anything but a fantasy, well no nation qualifies.

But to keep you happy, I'll say Canada, I have absolutely no clue as to why I said it but I'd hate to get another reply from you with a rolleyes icon.

24. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Mexico in the immediate future (though they probably won't).

USA in the distant future (More than 10 yrs from now).

Cause of this I say USA is more likely simply because I am not sure I can see Mexico winning it.

25. MrEleganza

MrEleganza Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Delaware, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, the gap is totally the same. Crazy, then, how often Mexico has had success against Brazil and Argentina and got out of/won their group in the World Cup. Just like Japan in ice hockey!