First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by el_urchinio, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wasn't directed towards you, but in general. Some of the other threads have gotten a little out of hand lately.

Just trying to get things in check is all.

2. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nice. Obviously bad humor is lost on you.

3. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

I apologize Dan. I never suspected obie was the real killer.

Can you at least admit that you sabotaged Ron Brown's plane because he "knew too much"?

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The tough part was parachuting out of the plane before it hit the mountain.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    They're much better broiled. Seals in the flavor.

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I would agree with you if one of them hadn't been caught twice. That indicates either a problem or a lack of parental control (especially when Daddy is the leader of the free world).

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny about it is that the manager of the restaurant/bar they were in called the press before he called the police.

Had it been some other 19 year old they would have simply taken away their fake id and told them to go home.

8. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

Or maybe, just maybe, it indicates that they are the daughters of the President of the United States and are subject to waaaaaay more scrutiny than your average underage drinker.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Had it been some other 19 year old nobody would care.

Add that it's the Prez's daughter, and he was known to throw back a bottle of Jack or two in his day, and you get tabloid fodder.

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

At one level I agree with you Colin (see above post), but the first time I get arrested for underage drinking, I fully expect my parents to have a nice long talk with me, whoop my ass a little, and take away my fake ID (ESPECIALLY if my Dad happens to be president and had a well-publicized drinking problem on top of it).

I agree this got blown WAAAAAY out of proportion in the newspapers, but the Bush clan also did a piss-poor job of damage control, especially when they like to preach about how important the children are.

11. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

I would be highly surprised if this did not occur.

And this somehow invalidates what they've been saying? If the biggest thing that they have to worry about is their college-age daughters having a few beers then they've probably done a pretty decent job.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

Yeah you're probably right, but since they seem intent on telling us how to raise our children, I think it's fair to examine their record, don't you?

13. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

It takes a village.

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    To think that Jeb's daughter just got caught with crack inside the drug rebad center only shows what a real problem looks like. Some say it has family ties in that predisposition factors are heredity fueled by environment. That alone should have made warning signs obvious and forced the family to avoid those situations where they could fall into known traps and patterns.

A similar situation can be seen with prince Harry or the Kennedys. The pressure of being part of a political royal family and the feeling that being such makes their actions above reproach also shows that maybe these people are out if touch. They have the power of the bully pulpit, but should notice the glass house in which they live.

In the long run we all should be praying for these people to get help and the support they need instead of taking cheap political shots. Taking shots? Ah, I couldn't help myself with that one. :D

15. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

No you didn't... :D
    Yes you did.

16. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    I would agree with you if one of them hadn't been caught twice. That indicates either a problem or a lack of parental control (especially when Daddy is the leader of the free world).

So they got twice. Big deal. They got caught twice drinking beer at 19. Wow. I've got caught speeding twice. Must indicate a lack of parental control (considering they are 19, doesn't that mean they are no longer under parental control?) or a problem. I've been caught once not putting money in the parking meter. Better not do it again, or it could become a problem.

17. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First lady: Turn off TVs on 9/11

Sure, and from my perspective the record seems pretty good. Any parent whose biggest problem is their college-age kids getting caught with beer should give themselves a pat on the back.

18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't mean this as a swipe against the Bushes in particular because it's a much more widespread problem than that, but isn't it sad that "my kid is not in jail" now corresponds to a "good job" in upper-middle class parenting?

19. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Laura may be strides ahead of Barbie and Nancy, but she cant hold Eleanor's or Betty Ford's corset. They grabbed a cuase and use the bully pulpit to change the world. Laura lacks the class, charm & witt of an elagant 1st Lady like Jackie O. Nor does she posses the brutish authority Hillary and Mrs Lincoln wielded. She's somewhere around Liddy Bird Johnson and Nixon's wife, best seen and seldom heard, a good mother figure but not someone a country really gives a hoot about.

20. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Jackie O- liked to spend money. liked to look lavish. and like her husband, wasn't too sharp at politics

Mrs. Lincoln- a nutjob, everyone knew it. read a book about her. she's only brutish when she's got a sack of potatoes

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put the superirony cherry on the irony sundae, if her deddy had had a different deddy, he'd never have been president, and therefore, she would have skated.

22. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Random thoughts on what's been said.

1) The Bush daughters got caught drinking while under the age. Big deal.

2) What makes #1 look unsavory is that both W. and his supporters have taken and continue to take a ridiculous holier than thou attitude.

3) What also makes #1 look unsavory is that under W., Texas passed extremely harsh underage drinking laws. I believe Jenna, if busted a third time, is supposed to serve significant jail time. I doubt she will even if she gets caught again.

4) What also makes #1 look unsavory is that we have a president who abused alcohol and drugs in his younger years, though by most accounts he wasn't much younger. Under his criminal justice policies, he should probably be still serving time.

5) Hillary is something of a carpetbagger, but not much more than Elizabeth Dole. Hillary's ambitions are little different than most other political figures. I don't find them particularly attractive, but I find her no worse then the 99 other people in the Senate.

6) Hillary did very well upstate. I think Lazio won, but BARELY. She worked incredibly hard on her campaign to attract upstate votes.

7) Forget about the upstate-NYC divide, this was the 1st Lady against Howdy Doody. It was inevitable.

8) For all the complaints about Bill and Hillary, one thing we all must admit is that they appear to have done a very good job raising Chelsea. No scandals of any sort, and she seems to be a pleasant enough person.

23. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound

please keep things in a context called "time".

whats is a big deal now most likely wasn't then. i wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

:D

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I have no idea what this means?

It wasn't a big deal 10 or 20 years ago for somebody to abuse alcohol and other drugs?