First in Flight

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by nsa, Aug 23, 2002.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The North Carolina state motto certainly holds true for the Courage players given their tendency to launch themselves off the ground at the slightest touch. Watch for Snuffie and Reese to take to the air. Let's hope that SaladBar hasn't left his cards at home.

2. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    I'm most psyched about the Clash of the Titanesses. The Blue Lions' one is more massive and scary-looking, while the 'Dumb's actually has some mobility to her.

Nevertheless, the game will be decided by the Blue Lions' having their eardrums shattered by the thousands of shrieking PTHs greeting a sight that seemed impossible in our lifetimes just a year ago: Mia (All the girls scream. Those who don't are pinched until they do scream ;) ) in a champoinship match that she wasn't carried into on Akers' shoulders :p .

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Hey, I believe you owe royalties to G4m :p

Paul

4. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    First in Flight [NSR]

by NSA

The North Carolina state motto certainly holds true for the Courage players given their tendency to launch themselves off the ground at the slightest touch.

Non Soccer Related:

Funny you should mention the state motto. The revised phrase as I recall it many years ago used to be: "First in Flight; Last in Liquor".

So is North Carolina still a dry state, or can a gal get a beer in a Kitty Hawk bar these days?

5. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Re: First in Flight [NSR]

the only dryness in North Cackolack rite now is the ground because we're goin thru a major drought. Sucks cause it does a number on my calves! :mad: it was 102 degrees out during practice yesterday! :eek:
    sure as hell aint a dry state alcohol wise!

6. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    the State motto is "Esse Quam Videri" -- which means "to be rather than to seem."

There are still some dry counties in NC. In addition, the sale of liquor by the drink was illegal statewide until 1978. Now, counties may authorize the sale of mixed drinks if approved by the voters of the county.

7. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Thank you for clarifying that for me Heeligan. I haven't followed the Carolina Teetotaler's Debate for many years now.

8. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ah. I thought their state motto was "Fumare Quam Bibere" -- "to smoke rather than to drink." :D

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I believe the only dry, and partially dry, counties are in Appalachia. The old joke about being "High and Dry" in Boone/Watauga County (where Appalachian State University is) wasn't reefering to altitude.

10. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    LOL!!!
    Now it is "Fumare & Bibere" & some other things I don't know in Latin.

11. *Crazy_Chastain*

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    It rained yesterday and a little today! yay! finally!

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw three straight days of rain. In 20 years, I have never seen a drought like this one in Durham, and they say it's worse in G-boro.

I guess I'm gonna have to get that lawnmower fixed afterall. Sigh.

13. *Crazy_Chastain*

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

yah i dont know if its true or not, but someone said if we dont get enough rain in the next few days they're gonna like evacuate the city or something like that.

14. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    The "First in Flight" thing actually has some controversy behind it. The Wright brothers were from Ohio and did all their planning and plane construction there. They picked Kitty Hawk, NC as the place to test their plane due to the high sand dunes and wind. Ohio has always felt they deserved the "first in flight" motto, since NC was just the final stage in years of planning and work that took place in Ohio.

My history lesson for the day.

15. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    True, Kim. That's why NC and Ohio both put out state quarters with an aviation theme - sort of a numismatic flame war ;) .

On the aviation theme, I gotta say the FCII MVP reminds me not so much of one of the Wright Brothers' plane as, say, a C-130 :D .