first gig

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by htafc, Sep 29, 2005.

1. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    hi everyone,
    i have my first proper gig next week and want to know if youve got any tips?, it isnt serious- just like one of those talent shows to raise money for charity. btw im like rythm guitarist but do some soloing :)

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh remember the days....all I have to say is, if drinking is even an option for you, don't drink too much (OR too little, 1-2 beers is usually enough for me), make sure you tune before you get on stage, and your pedals are set to where you want them to be set. fiddling with that ******** on stage is nerve wracking the first time out of the box.

3. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    cucumber in the crotch ala spinal tap is a good move

but yeah, what art said about drinking is good. you wanna be relaxed but still able to play well

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I can't stress that enough. Don't go on stage lit. DEFINITELY don't go on stage blazed. Don't stop to tune between songs unless ou absolutely have to, and remember that as far as addressing the crowd goes, less talk and more rock is preferable.

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tune before the show and if you have your mind set on some moves or anything you'd wanna say, practice it beforehand or say it to yourself prior, since this is your first show it won't feel so natural or comfortable, so don't overdo it, the more you do gigs the more comfortable you'll become and the more you can do and say on stage.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You've shown a great deal of professionalism already simply by starting this thread a week before the gig rather than the day before. Good on you!

Here's my advice:

Use whatever rehearsals you have remaining to do what you plan to do at the gig the way you want to do them at the gig. Agree on a set list within two or three days of the gig- you now have time to argue about that if necessary. Assuming you have all the bugs worked out of your tunes (you haven't said whether this is original or cover music), play the setlist all the way through as often as your rehearsal time will allow. Do not interrupt tunes. Time your set.

Tune before you check, and check your tuning before you play the first tune. You may not be able to change it quickly, but at least you'll know if you're not in tune and sometimes string bending and different positions can cover for one out-of-tune string. Tune your backup guitar (if you're using one) before you go on stage and put it on a stand on the stage with your rig (do not leave it in the case- wastes time if you need it).

If you drink in rehearsal, and you want to drink, do. If you don't "need" to drink, don't. I don't recommend it if you don't drink in rehearsal. If you toke (and you're not using an electronic tuner), tune before you light up. It can affect your sense of pitch.

I know this will sound sorta 80s, but bring five or six extra picks and stick them on yur instrument. Do the same with the backup if you have one. Have your band set up as close to the way you rehearse as possible if you rehearse the way you'd like to play.

Last but not least- if you have any experience with public or musical performance, remember that when you step on stage. No reason to be nervous about a rock gig if you've "been there before", so to speak, even if it's from another form of entertainment. And remember that most of the folks in the audience don't really know what you're doing- they just want to have a good time.