Fireworks show a let down

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LaVerne, Jul 6, 2005.

1. LaVerne

LaVerne New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    What a let down. A year ago the fireworks show was by far the best I've ever seen.
    Talked it up & broughts other to this years game, partially for the fireworks.

2. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I love fireworks after years and years of it, they all start to look the same to me.

I would much rather have seen more fireworks from the Galaxy on the field.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    yeah, it was just o.k. The music utterly SUCKED!! So cheesy. Why is it that "country" music is associated w/ "patriotism"? Why not play blues, or jazz or any of the autochtonous musical genres of the US? Why play really bad country music in a city that is known for its music and as being a music-industry town?

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Phillips Souza is "autochthonous."

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    especially given what was going to be on the field (absence of gold cup players on both teams), i really expected them to make up for it some with the fireworks. it was okay, but not as good as i remembered even from opening day of this season. booooooooooooooooooo.

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So you guys had to sit through Lee Greenwood and Toby Keith, huh?

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I heard that the guys running the fireworks show were based out of San Jose ;)

edit: on second thought, given where thier team will be next season they'd better get used to music like that.

8. truebrit

truebrit New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    The "OC"
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not a big fireworks fan...used to the same ol' same ol, but last year my whole group commented on that being the best display any of us had seen. We brought more people this year, bragged about how great it would be, and were disappointed. Ahhh, well...it's not all about the fireworks, but for some reason the quality of another "thing" going down at HDC just doesn't surprise me.

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    I didn't stay for the fireworks, but from what I could see there was a pretty thick layer of fog obscuring most of the fireworks. So blame God. After Monday night's finish I'm convinced that God is not a Galaxy fan.

10. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say though, why sit in the stands when all you have to do is go to your car, lay a blanket on hood, bed or roof and enjoy it to your favorite tunes on the stereo? It continues to amaze me that there are people out there who really enjoy these American style songs an actually regard it as a legitamate category of music.

Would it have really hurt anyone if they played some Godsmack or maybe some Slayer? Atleast a classic Cannibal Corpse tune or two would've been acceptable to everyone.

bastards...

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    "Meat Hook Sodomy" would have been the perfect soundtrack after the Galaxy's horrible game.

12. Galaxy Lab

Galaxy Lab New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm not sure what was more frustrating Saturday:

- standing in a long line through most of the halftime and then missing the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half - while watching the slowest people imaginable working the concession stands trying to figure out the hot chocolate machine and bumping into each other - just trying to get my freezing daughter a hot chocolate. Every time someone ordered a hot chocolate the "worker" would go stand in his own line at the hot chocolate machine. We finally get to the front and see them run out before I could order. They had one hot chocolate machine the size of my Mr. Coffee for all 10 lines in that section! Great planning.

- the way the match ended

- trying to get to my car in the $10 lot off of University because I didn't want to stay for the fireworks, only to be told by "security" that I couldn't get through because of the fireworks. Maybe that's my punishment for "only" paying $10 to park. We had to walk the loooong way around just to get to the lot. Why let us park there if you're going to make it so hard to get out?

Next year save the money from the fireworks and spend a few bucks training someone how to make hot chocolate.

13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    It must have been especially frustrating considering that it was a Chivas home game on Saturday and the Galaxy played on Monday! :D

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't understand. He STARTED standing in line on Saturday, but didn't get SERVED until Monday.... :D

15. DaisyJukes

DaisyJukes New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    :) Best were the subtle happy face explosions, but other than that, quite boring and drawn out.

16. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    forget fireworks the most annoying thing was the amount of people (assuming hdc newbs) who were in eachothers seats and getting in little shouting matches. people drive me nuts when they are so arrogant around eachother and end up ruining eveyones night around them. argh. i think the fog killed the fireworks cause it lacked the same intesnsity of light that it had last year. oh well that game blew especially casue franchinos' whole sunburned white trash family was like 10 rows above me with their dale jr. look-alike #8 franchino hats on (yee haw is this nascar or soccer). cien did make an appearance coming from one of the boxes down through the stands and signing some graphs.

17. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
    geez...are all of you pyrotechnic professionals or something? Talk about nit-picking over every little thing. Maybe if you were concentrating on the meaning behind the fireworks then you would've been greatful that you were getting a free fireworks show with your Galaxy game. Talk about ungrateful. Go see a Dodger's game if you care that much about fireworks.

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got a God-given right to nitpick. I remember that was gauranteed by some amendment to the Constitution or other.

And nothing is "free" at the HDC - the cost of the fireworks was built into the ticket prices.

19. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Sorry to hear some of you didn't like the fireworks at HDC. Our fireworks show in Denver was awesome, just as good if not better than last year. But the music did suck. "I'm proud to be an America... yatta yattyatta..." But they played "American Woman" by the Guess Who which is, if you listen to the lyrics, an antiwar song. Interesting. And the sound system was muddy all evening. It's usually a lot better. Ah well, you pays your money...

20. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Hahah. Great 'Chino family visual. They sound like they're from Santee.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well obviously they should play some songs like American Idiot on Indpeendence Day right?

22. GalaxyFutbolForever

GalaxyFutbolForever New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    They need to turn off the tennis lights. I can't believe they left em on.

23. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    Glad I didn't go then.

Last years show was pretty cool. The previous year's show was the largest in California, right?

24. GalaxyFutbolForever

GalaxyFutbolForever New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    I actually liked it. I went to the other ones too but this one was just as good for me. I enjoyed them a lot. I just wish they would turn those damn tennis lights off because I was watching from near the tennis stadium and we had these blue lights right in front of the fireworks. I kind of forgot about them though throughout the show.

25. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    hey taco jones delayed reaction here on this post but franchino and his band of sunburned river-trash hooligans are from rancho cucamonga aka "the 909". so the dale jr. hats are a must.