Firefox Add-Ons

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Caesar, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    What with all the excitement over the new browser, I was wondering what add-ons everyone has. I'm always looking for new extensions if they're something useful.

Gmail Notifier - self-explanatory.

BugMeNot - tool to bypass compulsory web registration (e.g. news sites etc.). Rightclick on the login fields and it pulls a login for the website from the database at BugMeNot.com.

DownloadHelper - allows you to rip embedded video (e.g. YouTube) to an .FLV file on your desktop.

ForecastFox - puts a weather forecast in your statusbar.

Foxmarks - stores a copy of bookmarks on a server to allow synchronising between different computers.

FoxyTunes - puts media player controls in your status bar. Jury's still out on how useful this actually is for me.

DownThemAll - more improved download manager.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adblock Plus - even though FF has an integrated pop-up blocker

Flashblock - because sometimes I don't need to see all these flash animations on sites

FoxClocks - displays local times around the world in the statusbar/toolbar

IE View Lite - some sites/pages don't show up properly in FF (I only use this in extreme cases)

3. Degtyarev

Degtyarev Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Fryslân
    Adblock Plus
    CustomizeGoogle
    Download Statusbar
    DownthemAll!
    Flagfox
    Forecastfox
    PDF Download

And still waiting for the FF3 updates on:
    BugMeNot
    Linkification
    and Fasterfox

4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I only have Adblock Plus and DownThemAll, but I'm downloading BugMeNot, Foxmarks and Foxy Tunes after reading your descriptions:p

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some that I like, although not the real names!

Javascript Blocker - blocks javascript, you can enable the ones you want so you can do stuff (watch flash, login to forums, etc) but keep out the other ones, like the ad-implanters.

All-In-One gestures - whenyou right click you can move in certain paterns to make Firefox do someting (i.e. right-click + left. makes it go back one page automatically). many of them I don't sure, but the quick back is awsome.

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I took out the Google Toolbar, because I felt it took up too much space. Now the URL bar is my search bar.

Does anyone know of an add-on for the address bar that would add buttons like image, news and map search?

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Toolbar
    Yahoo Toolbar
    FootieFox - Puts scores from whatever league or international competition that you prefer in your status bar.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn, my status bar is getting all kinds of filled up. :p

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the toolbar.

Sure, it's a bit of a hassle, but if I want to search through sites such as ebay, facebook, or wikipedia, I can select that site from the list, type in what I want, and i'm there.

11. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think that toolbar is one of the best things about firefox. I have all tons of sites there: google, wikipedia, IMDB, youtube, amazon, ebay, a dictionary, etc.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    MediaPlayerConnectivity

I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone (and that's lots of us here) who watches soccer online.

It lets you watch embedded video (like MLSLive) on an external player. And then you change it to any size you want, put it anywhere on the screen, launch a second external player for another video and watch two games at once ... you see the advantages!

And he finally updated it for 3.0.

13. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The torrent add on is good. Located a bunch of different torrent sites to d/l

14. spaul

spaul New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks for sharing these add-ones. Thats what I was looking for, specially gmail notifier and DownloadHelper. I was not aware about those add-ons.

I'm working as Buyers Agent.

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still using Firefox2.whatever but here is my current list:
    • adblock plus (must have)
    • autocomplete manager (helps me get to sites quickly)
    • delicious bookmarks (organize the 4k+ bookmarks for me)
    • stumbleupon (love this one and I use its 3 click email function to send sites to myself and others;fun time waster with the benefit of finding some real gems)
    • download statusbar
    • flashblock
    • gutil(all my google stuff in one spot without the taskbar)
    • noscript (must have)
    • plain text to link (great if you download from forums that use don't autoconvert links, and a quick way to copy and open sites in a new tab as you encounter them)
    • realplayers browser recorder plugin (works well with most of the video I want to download)
    • termblaster (one of my favorites; highlight text and quickly search on sites like google,wikipedia,amazon,translate stuff, get google maps, etc)

I used to have a bunch more but I found this group to work best in terms of ease of use and working well for the ram hit.

16. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check yubnub. It's not for the actual address bar... it'll add a bar. I've seen it on the top or the bottom. I use the one in the place where you took out the toolbar.

It'll let you do commands like gim frogs for a good image search for frogs...

gnews is google news...

There are lots of search functions. And you can make your own. Perhaps they've made one that you can use in your address bar. But check it out.

17. Red-Town

Red-Town New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, Norte Cali
    Adblock Plus
    CustomizeGoogle
    DownloadHelper
    Hyperwords
    Linkification
    Nighty Tester Tools
    QuickRestart
    Text to Image

all the ones i have installed

18. legsie

legsie New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    in a shoe
    We down graded from firefox 3 back to 2, it had way too many bugs in it so will stick with this till its sorted, personally i am an IE gal.

19. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's why you've had a bad experience. I've had not a single problem. Not one.

20. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    My email client (Zimbra) keeps crashing FF3.

I normally use Thunderbird, but for some bizarre reason it times out every time I try to log in using the connection I have here. Thank goodness I'm moving on Friday!

21. ThisIsTheYear

ThisIsTheYear Red Card

Jun 30, 2008
    Chicago
    I've installed I believe every single on they offer. It is a big plus for me because it allows me to watch from favorite show, Risque Agency, online without any glitches. You can check it out here http://www.digitalfuntown.com/videos/32 if you want.

The add-ons have been a big help because with IE I was always having problems with streaming video.

22. Hungry Dave

Hungry Dave Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have FoxyTunes and I like the ability to pause and play music without leaving my browser but I have a problem with it downloading the album art. I didn't clean out my temp files for a while and all of a sudden, I have 3 gigs of album art in there. Is there any way to turn that option off?

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My current extensions:

* Adblock Filterset.G Updater - updates a filter list for Adblock automatically.
    * Adblock Plus - blocks ads
    * Book Burro - when viewing a web page about a book, it provides a popup window (kinda) that shows you other places you can find that book, including vendors and even the library
    * BugMeNot - as described earlier.
    * Flashblock - blocks flash embeds (can still be viewed on-command, or "whitelist" a site). This made a huge performance improvement for me (especially RAM usage).
    * Forecastbar Enhanced - little weatherbar in the status bar. Radar at my fingertips.
    * Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer - syncs up my bookmarks between multiple machines. This works really well.
    * FoxyProxy - uses rules to determine which proxy to use based on the URL. Very handy for accessing sites behind my home firewall (I tunnel a proxy to my LAN via SSH). At work, I can type a IP address on my home LAN (for example, my router's internal page) and get the webpage.
    * FxIF - gives EXIF photo data in image properties
    * Greasemonkey - best thing since sliced bread. I can do anything to any page with this.
    * IE View - provides a menu option that launches IE to view the current webpage.
    * MediaPlayerConnectivity - as described earlier
    * PDF Download - recognizes PDF links and provides a "View/Save/translate to HTML/Cancel" dialog before proceding.
    * Resurrect Pages - when a page comes back dead, provides links to various web archive sites.
    * Sage - RSS/Atom feed reader
    * Scrapbook - saves pages locally, provides organization/annotation tools too.
    * Smart Bookmarks Bar - crunches the bookmarks bar down, expands names on mouseover
    * Stylish - provides custom stylesheets to pages

A few of these are on the verge of removal. I try to prune out rarely-used extensions to keep things tidy and fast.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foos, have you tried IE Tab? Very similar to "IE View", but you can actually open that IE-only website in Firefox. No need to have IE launch.

25. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No script is a must, to help avoid clickjacking