Firefox 2.0 is officially out!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by patrickdavila, Oct 23, 2006.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh shut up.

2. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Can anyone tell me how to automatically open Searches in a new tab? I know using "Alt+Enter" works, but I would like new tab to be the default when I press the magnifying glass button. Thanks

3. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Middle mouse button works for me.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    IE7 does a much better job printing, and 2.0 just crashed hard when I went to visit the Gears of War web page. It's still better than IE7, but the little things are annoying.

5. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    very true

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you using flash 9?

7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been using Firefox side-by-side with Opera for a little while now and Firefox really, really handles all this Web 2.0 AJAX JavaScript DOM stuff well and efficiently. Opera will sometimes start eating up memory and slow down if you do a lot of JavaScript loads and DOM object creation.

8. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE FLASH 9 PLUGIN FOR IE?!?!?

Oh lord it sucks... I can't even go to google video.

Any fix for this out?

9. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I just installed Firefox (version 2.0) for the first time a couple of days ago and i really like it.

- Pages upload a lot quicker than IE.
    - Same thing with pictures. It's like ten times faster now.
    - I love the tabs. When opening a link related to a page already open, you get a new tab added unlike IE when you open a new connection (i know, i'm really new with firefox). This is super practical !

In summary the whole thing is a lot faster and smoother than IE. And i've heard a lot more secure.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me which "add-ons" are a must ?

Thanks

P.S. : Like someone said, burn microsoft, burn !

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you're ready for it:
    Type "about:config" into the address (URL) bar and hit return.
    Scroll down and look for the following entries: (You might also be able to type them into the filter.)
    --network.http.pipelining
    ----Set to "True" by clicking.

--network.http.proxy.pipelining
    ---Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

--network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
    ----Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once. (Mine's actually on 10,000.)

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0"

Adblock Plus 0.7.2.2
    BugMeNot 1.3
    Google Images Re-Linker 0.4
    IE View 1.3.1
    Nightly Tester Tools 1.2
    Talkback 3.0a1
    Throbber Button 0.9
    WebmailCompose 0.6.6

Adblock Plus blocks 99% of ads, including flash ads. It'll even remove the space around the ads, so if there's an ad that I block, the text will re-adjust itself making it seem like there never was an ad.

Once you figure out how this works, you can set it to "block all ads at ads.website.com" or "website.com/ads" or whatever and that'll take care of a bunch of ads at once.

BugMeNot is an extension that doesn't require me to even visit the BugMeNot.com website. All I do is right-click on a username screen and it'll check the database for a username and password.

Google Images Relinker is one that claims to remove the extra screen at google image search. Just click on an image and it'll be shown in full, and you won't have to "Click again to see full-size image." It's not working on my alpha Firefox, but it may work on other machines/versions.

IE View. You know that one pesky website that will not work in Firefox? All I have to do is right-click the link to it and I see an option to "Open in IE."

Nightly Tester Tools. If there's an extension that doesn't work in your Firefox, NTT will break compatibility rules. If you're a novice user, you may not want this.

Talkback reports crashes to the Mozilla team. You can give them just the crash info, or you can give them information such as website viewed, any links clicked, or any other information that may help them find the cause of the crash.

Throbber Button restores the throbber (circle under the red "X" at the top right) to a link. I can have a left-click to a website, right-click to another website, or press the alt key and either click for up to four different websites accessible by the throbber.

Webmail Compose turns "mailto:" links into something that can be accessed by a program such as hotmail, gmail, yahoo, or whatever else is out there.

Finally, you can go tools->options->tabs and find "Open links in new tab." Middle-clicking also achieves the same result. You can also middle-click a tab to close it, or even right-click it for any number of options.

You'll also love the "Recently Closed Tabs" option in History which allows you to open tabs you may have closed prematurely. Once again, that middle-click works.

11. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are in a school or other environment where you don't want folks to be able to restore previous sessions:

Enter about:config in the address field.

Then right click to add a new boolean field, browser.sessionstore.enabled, and set it false.

12. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I've been using Firefox 2.0 for a while now and I like it. Although there's a few things they've changed from 1.5 that I think they shouldn't have changed (like searching for words) I think overall it's an improvement.

If you want to speed up your browsing experience but is a bit lazy (raises hand) I can recommend Firetune which changes a lot of settings in your config file in order to speed up your browsing. It's free and can be downloaded here. There's nothing revolutionary about the things it changes but it's a lot easier than doing all the changes in the config file manually.

KJ

13. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Thanks for all the help.

Last night i was replying to a post in bigsoccer and i had opened another tab that crashed and closed the whole connection. I hit firefox and what do i see ? He asks me if i want to restore ? i said yes, and there was my half finished post :)

Awsome !

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My favorite Addons:
    FlashGot - downloads big files pretty fast
    FoxyTunes - Control iTunes from the Firefox status bar. I thought this would be useful but I don't use it much.
    Greasemonkey - I'm not sure how to explain this well. Lets you install scripts to customize websites. I use this almost entirely for Flickr, but I think there are a bunch of Gmail scripts out there too.
    Map+ - Highlight an address and it comes up with the map of the address
    CustomizeGoogle - Bunch of tools for customizing Google. My favorite is being able to go straight to the picture in an image search
    VideoDownloader - lets you download video from YouTube, etc

And I've posted this link before, but it has a nice overview of about:config customization stuff: http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox-2/geek-to-live-top-firefox-2-config-tweaks-209941.php

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one is a life-saver. What if you have a whole slew of tabs open? It's not uncommon for me to have 5+ tabs open. If I crash, then i'm glad to have the whole session restored.

As a bonus, I think this also kicks in for browser and extension updates.

From the life hacker link:
    With Firefox 2, set the browser.startup.page key to 3 to restore your browsing session - with form entries intact! - every time you start your browser

16. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Done. Thanks again.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long live FireFox!!!

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping this cause I want to read more about these tools.
    What is the latest on the BigSoccer Toolbar for FF?

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh.... it works. Some of the images have broken, so I need to spend some time updating everything. Just been way too busy with other, higher priority stuff.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I figured it would work Foos, I don't doubt you at all.

21. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Where can I find the toolbar.

I had it installed on a previous computer, now that I have a new computer, I would like to install on this one too.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Thanks foos! :)

Only problem is, I have no idea what an xpi is nor how to open it. :eek:

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops. There was a server misconfiguration issue. Go back and try to download it again.

Or just drag the file on to a Firefox window - that'll do it too.

25. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thanks for helpin out my man fdp, i know he is a n00b and all but its all good. :D