Firefox 2.0 is officially out!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by patrickdavila, Oct 23, 2006.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go read post 22 and 23.

That fix worked.

And stop being stupid.

I've been a Windows programmer since version 3.0, and I've kept up with the technology through the years. Your support of everything Microsoft does is ridiculous.

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Seriously, the closed tab restore thing is super awesome. It even saves anything I've been typing in a text field.

3. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the Shift-Alt-S does work, nice to know

4. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    oh yeah shift+alt+s was what i meant but why would i re-read my own post in some silly fox thread?

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm just trying 2.0 now, and I think I'm going to switch for most uses. It actually has a decent bookmark manipulation tool, which is something that I have been looking for for a long time. And after weeks I still can't get used to the small buttons in the wrong places in IE.

EDIT: Well, except that it keeps crashing when I read the Moderator's forum.

7. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick quesiton, how to resize the bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar to allow more on the screen?

8. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making this post in Firefox 2.0, and I gotta say ... I'm impressed.

- For one, it's noticeably faster. It launches a lot faster (In about half the time the old one did - at least that's my impression), and it seems to render faster, too. Also the user interface within Firefox is faster - launching the options window, for instance, is a lot faster.

- Two, the over all look -n-feel is slicked up, and looks quite nice.

- Three, Tabs are improved - I like that there is an "X" on each one (for closing it), rather than the "X" on the far right. I also like being able to drag and drop the tabs.

- Four, memory consumption seems to be reduced.

- Five, it looks and behaves more consistently across platforms. I'm doing this post a windows box, but I also have FF 2.0 up on my laptop, which runs Slackware Linux 11, with KDE as the desktop. FF 2.0 blends with KDE better than 1.5 did. It also loads lightning fast, almost as fast as Konqueror.

Great job Mozilla team!

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After playing with this for a few days, I'm fully on board with the new tab system. Totally slick.

Big time. Similarly, I used to have a big crash problem that appears to have been completely resolved (I usually have 3 or 4 windows up each with 10+ tabs). It's much nicer now.

10. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    The spell check function is to die for !

11. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im impressed also

the x at each tab was an extension i had for 1.5
    but i do agree it is a lot faster and no crashing, althought i didnt have any before.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I love it too.

13. New Hamatachi redded

Nov 1, 2006
    I am also very impressed with Firefox 2.0. It is definitely the bestest browser in the world.

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In fact, in the previous version (the current one for me) you can close tabs by clicking them with the mouse roll wheel button. Discovered it accidentally.

15. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ^^

BTW, you can create tabs by clicking on links with the aforementioned button too.

16. Erkan

Erkan New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Most of you seem impressed by FF 2.0. I was determined to use 1.5.7 until more plugins are produced for and become compatible with FF 2 but i think i'll switch to FF 2 too. Most of the functionalities that I've installed through plugins seem to be embedded functionalities in FF 2. That's nice. And great news is that you say it consumes less memory.

17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most add-ons (the new word for "extensions") are getting updated fairly quickly.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no change to the "add-on" format, so it's literally a matter of changing one number in one file.

19. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say the newest release is pretty slick.

The tabs look and behave exactly like Opera's tabs except if you have only one page open the tabs autohide themselves (in Opera, when you only have one page, there is a (New tab) tab in addition to the tab for the page you have open).

re: less memory

I am not a regular user of Firefox but was there a problem with wasting of resources? If you have adequate memory on your machine (let's say 400MB or so) and aren't doing anything else wouldn't you want your browser to use as much available memory (without swapping) as possible for cache and rendered output to avoid going to disk or back over the network?

20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you want to run other programs quickly and have fast switching, then you don't want the browser to take up lots of memory. Besides, Firefox is pretty darn fast, so not doing large-scale memory caching isn't hurting it.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Firefox really is a memory hog if you allow it to be. And it was an issue for me, since I work with multiple tabs open, and other memory intensive programs like Photoshop. I'm still playing around with about:config though.

22. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well i read this is a potential problem

Firefox 2.0 allows 3rd party cookies

You're probably being tracked right now.

Firefox 1.5 disabled all 3rd party cookies, they didnt put it in firefox 2.0.

To fix: about:config in your address bar, change network.cookie.cookieBehavior from 0 to 1. I did this immediately.

Mozilla is currently addressing this.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple good tweaks from Lifehacker. I installed FX 2.0 last night and noticed a difference in speed of loading and operating. By in large, I like the changes, but there are a few tweaks I made and others I still have to. Overall pretty impressed. I'm curious how much memory might build up if I have it running for a longer period, like I might at work - I'll find that out soon enough after I update here.

24. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Since my computer here at work FINALLY got upgraded to XP (yes, it's almost 2007 and I was using Windows 2000 until yesterday) I decided to upgrade to Firefox 2.0. I don't use it a whole lot, but I'll see what I think. I like the idea of this "IE plugin" thing some people here run for development efforts.

25. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    microsoff did really a horrible job with Windows 2000 because they built it to be too good to be abandoned for anyone in business and home and thus delayed windows xp's penetration in market share. its ease of use and stability is still the best in the world, even better in particular cases than windows xp, officially the best operating system in the world. i too run windows 2000 occasionally due to its flexibility and ease of use. it's really amazing considered that it was built more than 7 years ago.