Fire Warzycha, 2013 Edition (Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NC Soccer United, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Well.... Dwight is needing a wingman in the booth...

odave and ZipSix repped this.
  2. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it's the necessary thing. You know, it's not Robert; it's us. He's a great guy and he will do fine after he's head coach. It's just not working out. No hard feelings, ok?

3. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Alternatively, there's always the Dutch uncle method. "This is not a ME problem; this is very much a YOU problem."

4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could always just send in the Bob's to deal with a Bob.

[​IMG]

5. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Now how do you say, Warzy...werezy...weren't gonna win a championship here, that's for sure.

HardHatMike, ZipSix and American Brummie repped this.
  6. KillerCanary

KillerCanary Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pink Slip petition time!

Seriously, lets start collecting ink on paper signatures of real Crew Fans and STHers who are ready for a change. A few thousand signatures collected at Crew Stadium before/after the next few home games would grab the FO's attention for sure. I also like the message it portrays, that we will support the players on the pitch with 100% passion, while uniting peacefully to voice our disapproval of the leadership.

I would pay good money to see MM open that fat envelope.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not saying he shouldn't be coach but the guy and his family gave a lot to this team let alone this city. All I'm saying is have some class.

8. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Too much to ask to find another organization in another place for this FO instead?

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The classy thing would have been to let his contract run out in 2011 and make the change postseason. There's no need to be disrespectful about it but coaches are hired to be fired.

10. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no good way to fire somebody, especially a long time loyal employee. No matter what you do feelings will be hurt. RW needs to do something this year.

What would he have to do to save his job? he wins the Open Cup? Get's the team to a Conference final or is it MLS Cup or bust. I am just wondering what others here think about it.

11. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really haven't given this much thought, but I'll be damned if I'm going to watch another first round playoff exit (even with RW, this team should make the playoffs). At a bare minimum, the team needs to win a playoff series. I'd also at least like us to look like we give a shit in the Open Cup. Going out in our first game to a lower level team won't cut it.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ******** hate this position. All I want is for Crew to be a good side. But if Crew make the playoffs, god knows how long that will let management grant an extension to RW.

We will see how Crew does this summer. He no longer gets to use the excuse that "this is not the team he picked," because he completely dismantled our '08 winning side. (2008 seems like so long ago....) This summer could be a loooooong summer a la '03. But guess who survived even that sh*t showing?

13. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the best thing for long-term gain is short-term loss? I am willing to scratch the season in order for the chance at a long-term gain. At least, the hope of one... because it does not seem like we are gonna get anywhere with RW as coach... the best he has done for us was the 09 SS (which we backed into in the end, dropping points left and right) and the Open Cup final vs Seattle in 2010. Both of which were with Sigi's team...

14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the problem with firing RW right now is that who do we go out and get in the middle of the season? Bliss? Same culture, I'm afraid. I really feel that RW should finish out the season then be handed his papers. No hard feelings, thanks for all you've done, but it's time to move on. The club should go outside of the normal family, as it did with Sigi in 2006, and pay the money required to bring in a coach that has a proven track record of winning in MLS, as it did with Sigi in 2006. That model worked. Why not go back to that well again and see if there's still water there?

IF RW is still around next season without us getting to a conference final or bringing home the USOC this season, then I'm all for everything that comes with a full blown "sack the manager" campaign.

scornflakes repped this.
  15. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with Bliss as long as you name in Interim only and then do a full blown search out of house for the new coach.

16. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has to win a playoff series, or make a deep run in the USOC. Deep run meaning quarterfinals or further. Team has too much talent to fail to accomplish either.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    If you are looking for coaches, I would say now is the time to find one that is in a league where the season has ended (I guess that would be most of Europe, South America?)

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

You rang?

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I was thinking benitez. ha I hear beckham is retiring lets bring him in. our crowds would swell

American Brummie repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the interim who replaced Andrulis... fair play. I agree, though, that it would be great if management was searching now rather than later. Keep RW for the rest of the season for all I care. Just be actively searching now. Please.

21. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of these guys is "Loved by clubs in England - especially one" and the other is probably pimping himself somewhere:

Jose and Sven.jpg

foozer repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's not a very high bar. Winning the 5 seed vs 4 seed playoff matchup and making the final 8 of a tournament where most MLS teams player their reserves isn't enough.

I'm in favor of replacing Warzycha now rather than finishing the season with him. Bliss is fine by me as the in house replacement. If he does well, he should get an extension without an external search. That's how Fitz, Nee, and Bob got their permanent Crew head coaching jobs.

Bob has an overall above .500 record in regular season matches. It's actually not bad, though it is inflated by the SS season in 2009. Where he lacks is winning an elimination match or series. Apart from the LHUSOC run in 2010, he has been terrible. In my view Bob would only deserve to keep his job if he balanced out the bad with enough good. Losing to Richmond and Dayton in the first round could be balanced with 2 LHUSOC finals appearances or a title. The first round playoff exits could be balanced by an MLS Cup appearance. I don't expect any of those to happen this season.

23. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not. Everyone you listed bottomed out and got fired. The only person to lead us to MLS Cup was brought from outside in. We MUST do that again.

scornflakes, Draghignazzo and cam5fc repped this.
  24. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly why Bliss is good for interim in this season only and only to be retained in his current role next year, if he's willing, while McCullers goes out and coaxes somebody from elsewhere to coach here full time next season.

This Franchisement Nepotism must stop

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Can we please stop using baseball winning percentages? It really isn't applicable here. Like, ever.