Fire Warzycha, 2013 Edition (Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NC Soccer United, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Well, one might be excused for thinking that people who continually complain about the "angst" and whatnot might hold an opinion that he at least doesn't deserved to be dismissed. While that doesn't necessarily imply that the same person thinks he deserves to be retained, it's worth asking the question.

2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as someone who has felt compelled to defend him at times at what seems to be overblown criticisms, I wanted to give him all of last year before jumping on the "Fire Warzycha" bandwagon, but even midway through last year I wouldn't have said he deserves to keep his job, just that I wanted to give him the chance.

That's not to say I can speak for everyone. So there may be some, I just don't know that I've seen people arguing that they want him to continue being the coach as much as defending against what they think are overblown arguments. Though perhaps I'm just projecting.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, for the record, I'm firmly in the "he should be fired now" after the latest two home losses.

I was rooting for the team, and him, to succeed this season after showing some promise late last year and what looked, on paper, to be good offseason moves. But I think we've seen enough and I'm hoping the FO has set the wheels in motion to make a change in the next few weeks.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob gets a lot of problems piled on him that I don't think is his fault but when you can't get a team up to play at home something needs to be done. They need to just get rid of the whole coaching staff and start new but I'm sure the next coach is not going to be the one that everyone wants and we'll be right back to this same place in a few months.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. When Bliss is named there will be a rush to start the "Fire BB" thread.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Does that bit of speculation have any relevance over whether or not Warzycha is fit to coach this team anymore?

cam5fc, ZipSix and Kayak repped this.
  7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is BigSoccer. Everything is speculation.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Tired trope is tired.

Kayak repped this.
  9. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will be the second post on that thread!

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh?

11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, don't fire the coach because we'll just want to fire the next coach.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Also known as maxima non sequitur

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ..... but no one said that

I was just saying that no one is going to be happy until GBS comes back and if he continues to be a success there is no way he comes anywhere close to Columbus or MLS.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I really don't give a ******** at this point whether or not GBS comes back. I want the current douchenozzle out.

chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. MeiJunXin

MeiJunXin Member

May 29, 2012
    Kent, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like MLS coaches get the benefit of the doubt in general way longer than necessary. I think every coach deserves a chance to mold a team and organization. However, at this point RW has done nothing to show he continues to deserve to coach this MLS team.

17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy with any coach that can help turn this club around. If that isn't Guille, so be it.

Or, as Timon so eloquently put it:

Draghignazzo and Kayak repped this.
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew have had 5 head coaches in their history. Three of the previous four were let go during the season. The team has been more patient with Bob than they were with Timo, Fitz, or Nee.

19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have to wonder what McCuller's role is in this deal. Or the scope of his authority on soccer matters. In the past, I've maintained my theory that soccer decisions were a three sided coin between him, BB, and RW.

He KNOWS this is an issue. My ticket rep just told me today "I understand. It is fairly regular feedback, and all I can do is ensure it gets passed along". So what's the deal? Are his hands REALLY being tied by HSG? Perhaps there's a clause in RW's contract that he can only be canned if his performance reaches a certain point? I'm getting pretty frustrated with HIM now because of his unwillingness or inability to do something about the REAL issue.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, McCullers must accept responsibility for his issues as well.

The team played well last game, we just couldn't score.

However, the team is not well constructed, or we don't play to our strengths. To wit:

1) Counting on Williams and Wahl for width and crosses is just dump. Both are decent players. Williams is a better CB than FB, IMHO. As FBs, both are vulnerable to pacey options and aren't really threats to go by anyone and get a good cross in. Williams does get himself in a lot of dangerous positions, but his conversion rate is low, and limited almost entirely to set pieces.

Furthermore, our two front running players are both well short of six foot, and not real good in the air. So even when the FG does get a good cross in, there is not likely to be someone on the end of it. And Oduro, Gaven, and Speas aren't exactly threats in the air, either. Which brings us to #2:

2) Playing so much longball out of the back to Arrieta and Higuain is just dumb. Both are too short to win many headers, and Oduro and Gaven aren't very good in the air either. If we want to play longball, then Robert should either drop a DM type and play a TF (we only have one on the roster), or go to a true 4-3-3 setup. But the two short guys up top doesn't work well with longballs.

3) Playing the midfielders narrow (and the FBs being the width) is not the correct utilization of Oduro.

To play the type of game Robert apparently wants to play, we need quick, attack minded fullbacks, not guys who are 6'2" and kind of hulking. We also need a TF, which we don't have.

21. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    While I get what you are saying.. I happen to disagree with this.

Arrieta has that sort of game where he does NOT challenge for a 50/50 ball in the air. He takes the ball on after the bounce, shielding his defender. Watching him play is like watching a basketball player boxing out under the rim. He might be shorter but putting himself between the defender and the ball really does work for him. The issue is there is no second runner or anything, so once he wins the ball or even turns his defender, he has no option. Pass back to Higuain and then to the wing to kill the attack.

Remember Ale Moreno did this with great aplomb but he could then take that advantage and turn it into a free kick. Arrieta hasnt figured out how to get the refs on his side.

22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his hands are even tied. The 'good ole boy' aura in the club would not allow for there to be a system of checks and balances or, well, boot in asses when there is mediocrity.

23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I forgot to specify Guille, but count me on the back of the bus.

24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If there is anything even remotely like this in his contract, then everyone involved in its creation-- not named Clark --needs to be shown the door; since his current contract was brokered long before it was clear if we were in the playoffs and were, in fact, in the midst of the September Swoon (tm) when it was announced after that devastating loss. /Faulker

25. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Ale was completely different when angling for calls. A complete gentleman. Always plaintive. Never douchey.

Look, I know it sounds stupid, but Jairo really needs to stop spitting to show his displeasure when things aren't going his way. I'm not kidding, he needs to cut that shit out.

I'm not saying he doesn't get calls that clearly go against him, because he does. A lot.

But he reflexively spits and snorts, maniacal smiles in pantomime disbelief. He needs to cut it out and get on with the next play, he's not getting into anyone's good graces with his disrespectful routine.