Pre-match: Fire v. "Chicago Jr." (Toronto) FC, 6/15 6:30 MLSwhatever

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Jun 15, 2024.

?

What happens tonight in the RETURN of MLS?!?!?

1. Fire win

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Fire have another Klopas special and manage to turn a win into a draw. He says "a point at home!"

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Fire lose, at home, again.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. NOTHING Stupid Happens.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. SOMETHING Stupid Happens!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  6. EVERYTHING Stupid Happens! We see a Stupid Happen Hat Trick! Red card, Own Goal, Defense f' up

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  7. Malört

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  8. Rubber Dick

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  9. CN Tower shaped Rubber Dick is the giveaway at the match!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  10. Raccoon took Porter Airlines (with Mr. Porter) from Midway, to eat pies and crap on BMO Field.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  11. I will be at the game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I will be at an Official Chicago Fire Watch Party (they still do those, right?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I will be at home watching from the couch.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  14. I am too burned out on Euro matches and US Friendlies to watch this!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  15. Shit, there's a game tonight?!? I was JUST getting used to NOT having to watch the Fire!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  16. I will be purposely doing something else tonight and will have to miss the match. Sorry. Not Sorry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Is Messi playing tonight? No? I'm not watching

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  18. Rubber Dick! (this one just for loonixxx)

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  19. I hope Jiggly is alright. We haven't seen him around here for a while.

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  20. Go FFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    game was fun

Toronto back line was rough

2. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I like xG, but it's better over a stretch if games instead of 1. Pineda's goal was maybe .05 xG, so teams with better finishers would exceed xG while teams that play well without great finishers would come in under. Our xG stats for the year completely support the notion.

3. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry about the xG stat discussion. I don't really like it, but the eye test for me says that the Fire were very dangerous around the goal tonight. Toronto's backline might have sucked, but I definitely do not want to take anything away from the Fire. Cuypers goal was basically all his own skill and effort. Arigoni had a sweet shot. The near misses were pretty frequent in number tonight. Much better than those games with either 1 shot on target or even 1 shot period for a whole game.

thetomg, bunge, goldclover and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly right. xG only measures where the shot was taken from and how it was taken (strong or weak, head, etc.). It is an aggregation of all the same shots taken from that spot. As he said, Pineda's shot was from a fair distance, but it doesn't "know" that he had all day to run up on the shot and line it up. It just knows that only 5 out of every 100 shots from that spot have gone in.

bunge and schroncar repped this.
  5. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    That last part IS key…Mauri didn’t NOT launch it up to row Z…as the large majority do…he buried it!

Bonus when your CB played a scoring 8 in college:unsure:

goldclover repped this.
  6. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that there was a pretty substantial deflection on the Toronto goal, which resulted in the shot going under Brady's save attempt. I didn't see it until a replay later in the game, but it made the shot much more difficult to save than it initially appeared.

bunge and goldclover repped this.
  7. I didn't notice Acosta, which in a game like last night was a good thing.

harrylee773 repped this.
  8. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like MLS window aligning with others would be better. One theory mentioned that players are still negotiating with parent clubs currently. If MLS is last league to open trade window does that mean only “leftover” international players are still available? Maybe, maybe not.
    Given the rise in stature of the MLS, should the timing of window be changed?

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think the negotiations can happen independent of the windows. The window is just when you can officially register the player with FIFA. The “benefit” for our late window appears to be that in the lead up to the European seasons, we are open to acquiring any player that a team realizes they no longer need.

xtomx repped this.
  10. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree negotiations can occur now (and I really, really want Fire to be doing this).
    Did not mean to imply I agree with that theory.

11. thetomg

thetomg Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Enjoying this "run of form" before the leagues cup break crushes it and we're back to square one...

Always look on the bright side...

Fuegofan, goldclover, Mikebsiu and 3 others repped this.
  12. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Interesting to see the average positions. Actually looks like the 3-5-2 formation, with a lot of holdup play from Hugo.
    upload_2024-6-16_20-5-8.png

Only surprise for me is how deep Guti and Fabi averaged…and that Acosta ended up dead center…they were covering a lot of ground.
    Everyone in the XI worked their asses off to earn that win:thumbsup:

goldclover repped this.
  13. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK, well I drove from Kentucky to Chicago Thursday, played Fitzgerald's on Friday, gigged a wedding on Saturday in Huntley, went to Caputo's in Addison this morning for Kielbasa, kraut, European chocolate, Polish mustard, El Ranchero chips and some Racine Lithuanian rye and I'm back in Kentucky on my couch after watching the replay. It was a whirlwind weekend and it sorta figures I'd watch EVERY SINGLE LOSS (draws and wins too) in real time except that TFC match. While the Fire crushed them TFC was without Sean Johnson in between the sticks and several guys on International duty and injured. That being said if the Fire are going to have any success that is EXACTLY the type of situation they need to grab all 3 points on when a team is facing adversity, injury, missing guys etc. Great to see even on a 24 hour delay with a few Daisy Cutters. I'm now caught up to the haps....

Oh yeah...that Pineda goal was a BANGER! Great back pass by Guti. Goal of the match.

14. Besides business (we're still interested) the wife wants to see your band. Tip us off next time you're gigging or have a day or two in the area where you want some work.

Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.
  15. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Seriously!
    Me and my son were at Fitzgerald’s Friday night!

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Me and my guys were gigging in the side bar.
    Gin Palace Jesters. I'm the bandleader...in other words, it was my bad idea. I have the guitar here in the pic.
    20240615_175637.jpg

goldclover, Mac97 and juicecrewallstar repped this.
  17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Oh, so you’re the one with the bad tie.

Pennsylvania Dave and harrylee773 repped this.
  18. You might want to update your web site too.

19. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice picture. You may wish to alter your appearance a little, though. It closely matches what I saw in the post office. Thanks for sharing

bunge repped this.
  20. Do you take requests?

21. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually was commenting on Dave’s band photo. Sorry for the confusion.

Pennsylvania Dave and willydonc repped this.
  22. Not confused, just piggybacking.

23. plezercruz

plezercruz Member

Sep 20, 2004
    I like it in the sense that it gives you, at a glance, a feel for which team had the better of the chances. It's not a "good stat" but it's something I like to look at when I glance at games around the league that I'm not going to bother to watch.

Pete (would not put a ton of stock into it, but likes it for that)

24. plezercruz

plezercruz Member

Sep 20, 2004
    #174 plezercruz, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    Also shows, yet again, that MHS is the guy giving defenders fits and allowing Cuypers to work "underneath him."

Pete (has watched #9 play triple-teamed for 16 games and suddenly now sees him winning one-on-one)

goldclover and schroncar repped this.
  25. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    goldclover and bunge repped this.