Pre-match: Fire v. "Chicago Jr." (Toronto) FC, 6/15 6:30 MLSwhatever

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Jun 15, 2024.

?

What happens tonight in the RETURN of MLS?!?!?

1. Fire win

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Fire have another Klopas special and manage to turn a win into a draw. He says "a point at home!"

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Fire lose, at home, again.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. NOTHING Stupid Happens.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. SOMETHING Stupid Happens!

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  6. EVERYTHING Stupid Happens! We see a Stupid Happen Hat Trick! Red card, Own Goal, Defense f' up

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  7. Malört

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  8. Rubber Dick

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  9. CN Tower shaped Rubber Dick is the giveaway at the match!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  10. Raccoon took Porter Airlines (with Mr. Porter) from Midway, to eat pies and crap on BMO Field.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  11. I will be at the game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I will be at an Official Chicago Fire Watch Party (they still do those, right?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I will be at home watching from the couch.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  14. I am too burned out on Euro matches and US Friendlies to watch this!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  15. Shit, there's a game tonight?!? I was JUST getting used to NOT having to watch the Fire!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  16. I will be purposely doing something else tonight and will have to miss the match. Sorry. Not Sorry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Is Messi playing tonight? No? I'm not watching

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  18. Rubber Dick! (this one just for loonixxx)

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  19. I hope Jiggly is alright. We haven't seen him around here for a while.

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  20. Go FFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hello, Fire Faithful (and others)!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the "second half" of the season begins tonight. After a stupid two week "international break: for a few "friendlies" (but that had a bunch of MLS matches, because MLS is gonna MLS), we resume League action (prior to the next big break for the Leagues Cup).

The Euros are upon us, Copa America is about to kick off in a few days, so MLS thought, "Why don't we restart the season?!? We HAVE to take most of August off for the Leagues Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    MLS is stupidest "Major" sports league in America, if not the World.

The first half of the season for the Fire would be "forgettable" if not for the fact that the suck has been seared into our brains like the grill marks on a perfectly cooked ribeye (or aubergine, for you vegetarians and Canadians). And the Fire have been almost "perfectly cooked" this season.

The Fire stand at 3 wins, 6 draws, 8 losses, for a sparkling 15 points form 17 matches, "good for" second to last in the East and third to last overall (you keep losing, San Jose, and escape the season with the Wooden Spoon). The Fire's goal differential of -12 is exactly the same as the goal differential at the end of last season. New England has "caught" up to the Fire in ppg, but still have a game in hand. A loss tonight, coupled with New England not losing (at home against Vancouver) and the Fire could be in LAST PLACE in the East.

Toronto has been a bit better than "okay" this season, sitting in 7th in the East (12th overall) with 24 points from 17 matches.
    An incredible improvement over last year's Wooden Spoon with 22 points from 34 matches. Yes, they have more points this season in the first half than they had all of last season.

Toronto are led by Federico Bernardeschi (7 goals/4 assists, making $6.3 million, basically "Shaqiri bucks"),
    Prince Osei Owusu (6 goals) and
    Lorenzo Insigne (the second highest paid player in the league making $15.4 million "guaranteed"-So almost TWO Shaqiri's!!!!!! for three goals and 4 assists for the season.)
    Since Insigne signed in 2022, he has managed to play 40 matches, with 13 goals and 11 assists, with less than 3,000 minutes played in total. Toronto have finished second to last and dead last in his first two seasons.
    (For the record, Shaqiri, signed at the same time, has 69 games, 14 goals and 18 assists and NO wooden spoons. Still pretty crappy, but not quite Insigne crappy).
    Their third DP is Toronto's own Jonathan Osorio.
    The hometown player and Toronto FC captain has been with the team that stayed in red (when the Fire flirted with blue and Latin King's logos) since 2013, with almost 300 matches played for them. His overall longevity and mediocrity has rewarded him with a Designated Player slot. A Canadian international regular, he has averaged over 10 international appearances per year since 2019 or so.
    Remember when the Fire had that sort of longevity with decent/good players? Yeah, neither do I.
    Note: Wikipedia list Richie Laryea as the third DP, not Osorio. Another Canadian international, Laryea really stands out in his mediocrity, bouncing around between Orlando, Toronto, Vancouver, Notts Forest, before landing in Toronto to feature in two matches this season.
    Not sure why either would be DPs, as Osorio is making $840k and Laryea an Acosta-like $1.2 mill.

So, how are the teams at this point?

Basically, much of the Fire's defense is out (Gutman, again, Gasper, still, and Salquist, now), which may not be such a bad thing, since the Fire's defense has been, well, crap.
    Chicago Fire FC
    • OUT: Chase Gasper (leg)
    • OUT: Andrew Gutman (leg)
    • OUT: Tobias Salquist (leg)
    • OUT: Xherdan Shaqiri (international duty)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Federico Navarro (leg)
    Toronto is without
    Laryea and Osorio, on International Duty with Canada, as they prepare for a 3 and out in Copa America.

Sean Johnson, on International Duty with the US of A.
    SJ, sitting on the bench, watching Matt Turner f*ck up royally against Colombia in one of the most dismal goalkeeper performances for a US keeper I have witnessed in years. Sean probably thought it was "his turn" against Brazil, but Turner actually played almost decent against Stu Holden's "Best Team in the World."

(Stu Holden is such a disgusting little twerp. He is the dictionary definition of twerp. Anyone see him yesterday on the Euro opening? He was wearing a "tartan" blue suit (he called it "tartan" to sound "Scottish" Well, he was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, so he gets a pass on that one), with pant legs two inches too short and NO socks! Ugh, I cannot stand that weasel stand-in for the even more odious Taylor Twellman.
    Sorry? Where was I?!? Oh, yeah, the Fire v. Toronto!).

The Fire's "keys to the match" are, typically, stupid.
    From the twatter/Xcrement machine:

’s to the Match: #TORvsCHI
    • Return to action strong
    • Capitalize on Toronto's missing players
    • Tuck in your shirts!

The Fire publicity department continues to try to be irreverent, but it would be nice if the Fire tried to be relevant.

Also, of course, there is no pre-game on the Fire's website, instead there is an ad for the Miami match "Miami plays with FIRE") and an announcement that the Fire have signed Diego Konincks to a short term deal.
    Yes, THE Diego Konincks from Fire II.

Toronto, as a city is barely "okay" as far as big cities go. I have been there a few times (including a 2007 Fire match). I really like "big cities," and was very excited to see it the first time, but it is incredibly unimpressive.

Often compared to Chicago and very frequently used as a "stand-in" for Chicago in movies and tv shows.
    Famously, the movie "Chicago" was filmed in Toronto!
    "The Chicago Code" tv show Jennifer Beals (an underrated show) was mostly shot in Toronto.
    Some of "The Handsmaid Tale" was located in Chicago, but filmed in Toronto. That makes sense, since other parts take place in Toronto (although Toronto stood in for Boston? for the first couple of seasons).
    Also, the fairly dreadful "The Time Traveller's Wife" was filmed in Toronto but located in Chicago.

Experiencing the two cities there is no comparison. Chicago is better in every dimension.

A few articles comparing the two, with a disgusting Canuck bias:

Toronto vs Chicago: Why Toronto Is The Superior Lakeside City
    https://indie88.com/toronto-vs-chicago/
    I call bullshit on this one!

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/chicago/toronto

Even the Sun Times (The Hardest-Working Paper in America) is turning against Chicago
    Toronto is close to topping Chicago as North America’s second city for skyscrapers. Here’s why.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/crossr...lobal-cities-chicago-city-crossroads-ed-zotti

So, for the match:
    Fire win, of course, since they are UNBEATEN in Shaqiri's absence.

When we sell him prior to his returning from the Euros, we go UNBEATEN the rest of the season!
    Shaqiri leaving is 2023's Moving to Soldier Field solves ALL of the Fire's Problems!

Woo hoo!
    Fire 2-1. Cuypers scores again and MHS with the second.

Mr. Porter with the goal for Toronto

upload_2024-6-15_11-31-20.jpeg
    Mr. Porter is the raccoon mascot of Porter Airlines, flying to Toronto City Airport from Chicago.
    Toronto City Airport is what Meigs Field could have been. It is a great little airport in Lake Ontario and only about 200 metres from downtown Toronto.

2. Another excellent preview sir!

Some random comments/reactions:
    * I knew Insigne had issues with the previous management, but I didn't know he was as much, or more of a waste as Shaqiri.
    * John Strong & Stu Holden are nails on a chalkboard cringe.
    * Diego Konnicks, while not quite as tall (6'1-1/2") as many Dutchmen, defends in the typically uncompromising manner of his more accomplished countrymen. He, and (to a lesser extent) CB partner Jaylen Shannon have been the unsung and ever present shield in the back for Fire II's top early season form. I'm surprised it's a CB getting the call and not a LB like Rochester, or CM like Poreba, but Konnicks is equally deserving.
    * I didn't get to experience as much of Toronto as Montreal, but if the Macdonald–Cartier 401 Freeway and it's 18 lanes of hell is any example I don't see Montreal losing first place in my heart any time soon. Film/TV productions love Toronto because of the cheap (often scab) labor.
    * Mr. Porter is better than Toronto.
    *Fire win 3-1

xtomx, goldclover and bunge repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I wish this were one of the poll options!

4. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where Fire got the international slot for Konnicks, but fine. Recent rosters posted on Fire and MLS websites have not listed Bezerra or M Rodriquez on them, so roster spot apparently not a problem. Guessing their absence is due to loans. Still some murkiness in my mind how that rule works.
    Thinking Fire called Konnicks up due to possibility that Pineda might have to play some DM tonight. (3-5M-2)
    Toronto missing a lot of players- but it is an away match.
    What is latest news on return timetables for Gutman and Salquist?

goldclover and willydonc repped this.
  5. That international slot issue totally slipped my mind.

6. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Wonder if the INTL spot is ‘considered open’ by Shaqiri being out for INTL play

still not sure why we’d call up a CB when we have Czichos, Teran, Omsberg, Pineda…plus Arigoni, Souquet, and even Gimenez have/can play there.

7. Or someone got a green card.

8. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 schroncar, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    Hard to know ‘cuse MLS special rules but nothing in rules relating to absences due
    to international or tournament play.
    Maybe they think Konnicks is better than names listed or offers great potential and want to see what he can do or maybe he is just there for the view from the bench.

9. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    INT play does not affect rosters at all was my thinking but...I cannot prove that anywhere.

schroncar repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I try not to go for 100% agreement on any question!

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  11. plezercruz

plezercruz Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Damn. Almost forgot there was a match today!

Pete (luckily popped his head in here to check the news)

goldclover, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  12. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    #12 overlap_old_coach, Jun 15, 2024
    Hmm, Czichos didn’t travel…

the CFFC app is showing a messed up lineup
    upload_2024-6-15_17-43-52.png

Expecting something more like
    upload_2024-6-15_17-52-14.png

Sofascore showing 3-4-2-1
    upload_2024-6-15_17-58-40.png

13. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Czichos- injury or something else?

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Three minutes and we still have the stupid "Match coverage will begin soon" on Apple TV.
    So stupid.

Show a pregame.
    Show ads
    Show highlights...well, for the Fire that might be rather difficulty.

6:31 and the broadcast begins.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Fire are three at the back again...officially
    Cuypers
    Gutierrez MHS
    Herbers Arigoni Acosta Dean
    Pineda Teran Souquet
    Brady

Gimenez cannot make the starting line-up. What a great DP signing he is!

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Late injury scratch according to the announcers.

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #17 xtomx, Jun 15, 2024
    Cuypers needs to keep scoring.

He is still averaging fewer than one shot on goal per game. That is not good enough, but let's see.

I still predict he will end the season with 15 or so goals.

Edit: 7th minute:
    Cuypers with a nice header, saved by the Toronto keeper.
    Good to get that early.
    Hopefully, that is not his only shot on target tonight!!!

schroncar and bunge repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    By the way, in the poll:
    Fire have another Klopas special and manage to turn a win into a draw. He says "a point at home!"
    Of course, I meant "a point away from home!"
    Sorry about that, everybody. I didn't see that until now.

19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I thought you just meant Home Jr.

xtomx repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, YES, that is what I meant! :whistling:

bunge repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is interesting to see the Fire away in Red.

I like it.

goldclover and schroncar repped this.
  22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    He just got one on goal!

xtomx repped this.
  23. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Dean driving, Herbers driving and crossing a ball to Cuypers head…decent SOT

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just edited my post.
    Again, I hope that is not his "almost one shot on target per game" and we don't see him shoot again.

bunge repped this.
  25. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Can’t be too ‘late’ if we signed a CFII player that likely traveled with the team