Fire up a Dube

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by shooter6065, Dec 12, 2011.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know we are thin at forward when we grab a retread from the Revolution. I guess he is just a cheap option for depth at the forward position. We clearly need some warm bodies.

2. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I like this. He had 14 goals and 8 assists . . . .

Oh wait . . . . . that was in four years . . . .

:rolleyes:

5. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At least his addition makes for a good thread title.

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse... we could have picked up Noonan :eek:

i doubt he'll see any PT this season, but who knows

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It could be worse. You will hear "nery" a complaint out of me for this low cost move. ;)

I'm just mentally preparing myself for a bunch of people to come in here telling us how this is a "low risk -- high reward" move. It seems like that is all we ever do at forward, and to date, only one of those moves has really turned out to be any reward in Oduro. I'd love to see a high risk -- high reward move, meaning that we are signing an established, quality goal scorer that we expect to continue to score goals.

8. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He will provide good speed off the bench nothing more. I see him being a decent player for us. I think the thought process on this pick was in we are hoping to find another Dominic Oduro here.

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    How is an established, quality goal scorer high risk?

10. DDT5583

DDT5583 Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An established player you expect to be a difference maker is a low risk/high reward/high cost move. This is what you are asking for.

Collins John was high risk/high reward/low cost move

Nery Castillo was a high risk/high reward/mid-cost move.

11. DisgruntledFireFan

Sep 30, 2007
    He's Calen Carr. How much does he make?

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    High risk because they come with a high price tag. If he gets hurt or sucks, you risked a lot and got nothing. If it works, you paid a lot but got what you expect.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Semantics. I would say high cost = high risk. Collins John was low risk as we didn't pay him much and if he sucked you could just send him on his way. When you sign Tierry Henry, you guarantee him a boatload of cash and salary cap space. It can pay off big time with a championship run or it can ruin you.

Stoichkov is another example closer to home. The first year and a half we got the high reward. Then his salary was an albatross.

14. chicagoism2

chicagoism2 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The problem is, that player doesn't really exist in the Re-Entry Draft at least not this year's.

Dube isn't flashy but he could be potentially helpful. Also just because he's been selected doesn't mean he's signed, sealed and delivered -- they have seven days to reach a contract agreement which will be less than what he was making at New England this year ($99K).

If you can get him for $65-70K I'd say its worth a shot to see what he can do. The guy scored 12 goals his first two years in MLS when the Revs were a decent side...if he has decent support he could be a 5-6 goal scorer in a sub/ occasional starter role.