News: Fire TBD - the Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 8, 2020.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

UPDATE: He's available!!!!

Dizi and keller4president repped this.
  2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That escalated quickly. I confess to not really giving a crap about the Galaxy. So what's the analysis? Why were the Gals, with suuuuuuch a high wage bill, so hapless under GBS?

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their defense is terrible and Zlatan papered over those issues in a way Chicharito cannot.

Dizi, Adler, griffin1108 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would GBS change DCU?

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    He'll do better with DCU as 1) He's committed to the attack and 2) his mid block counter press style tactics really require high fitness levels (something the Galaxy lacks and DCU kind of has). A big part of why DCU is playing well right now is that Ashton is using a mid block with heavy counter press the moment we lose the ball in central midfield. GBS won't high press because it takes his best attackers out of position. He wants to win the bal in midfield with plenty of space to feed his attackers. Ashton has been cycling the ball through the center of the park mostly latley and that fits with GBS's style too. You'll see wingers make aggressive attacking runs that force the defense to cover a lot of ground.

DCU has plenty of central midfield options so the strain of playing this style will handle the inevitable injuries. Additionally, the disappearance of the low block means our fullbacks won't see nearly as much wear and tear as they have under Olsen. Olsen's low block/bunker and direct long ball approach is a destroyer of fullbacks.

Dizi, bigredfutbol, Adler and 3 others repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late candidate (per Goff) Clarence Seedorf is an interesting addition to the list. FWIW, he speaks perfect English along with Spanish, Dutch,,and several others.

Adler and GumbyG repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh and GBS sucks!

Eastern Bear repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    In regard to GBS ... he'd won 2 out of the last Argentine Primeras with Boca. I have to think LAG offered him a wheelbarrow full of cash and promised a decent budget for the playing team. Those are 2 things DCU has demonstrated that they don't have and would probably be under pressure to get given the current state of the world.

The thing I wonder in LAG is who was responsible for assembing the playing squad?

At least we'd have a decent group of young players (Paredes/Yow/Neyman) available that would mirror how a first team would have been assembled at Boca with a healthy dose of homegrown players.

He could work here, but I don't see him even picking up the phone when a call comes from the 202.

Adler repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard multiple times that GBS's salary is in the low 7 figures with LAG.

10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see that kind of coach here, but TBH, failing that hard with a budget that big is kind of inexplicable. He had four windows and the resources to shape the team to his philosophy and vice versa, and he just couldn't do it. He even knew the league. That surprised me. Still, nobody's coached the Galaxy particularly well since Arena left, aside from perhaps Kinnear. Maybe his name should be on our list. There's something fundamentally broken in that organization, but a good coach should have been able to manage better than virtually last in the league. Has to be a bitter pill that he left Boca for this.

11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    If GBS was getting a low 7 figure salary, that "bitter pill" was pretty easy to swallow. As for GBS, along with Armas and Kreis as potential hires, just say "NO".

12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Do you think Ben's salary approached $1M? The last Wapo article about his most recent extension said he got a modest increase on 400k and of course he demanded no player budget. At 400k he was the lowest paid MLS coach when the extension was granted. He couldn't have gotten far from the bottom of that list.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't disagree with your comments and I don't know why he failed in LA, but I like his tactical approach. He may not do well as a leader (he did as a player though). It's also possible that the mental make up of his squad wasn't good. I would hope this could get uncovered in the interview and reference checking processes.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    No one is capable of uncovering anything. There is a stunning lack of football IQ in the FO and ownership.

Dizi, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't control Levien, etc., but in my business I'm always interviewing people for every job on my team. I always know who I want to hire next in each position. It's not unique to me. Well run organizations keep short lists for everything. When you take that sort of approach it allows you to recruit the best talent over a long period of time. When you do that, you really get a chance to know people and uncover fit/lack of fit. I can only hope this what he's been doing (even if I doubt it).

Winoman repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes but if you've been running restaurants your whole career I'd doubt you'd be great if you all the sudden had to hire people for a research lab.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ezra Hendrickson is getting rave reviews at DCU HQ...

Chris Armas, Jill Ellis, Chad Ashton are expected to be on the final list.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hendrickson has served under two good coaches - Sigi Schmid and Caleb Porter.

19. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then again, the McRib does not occur in nature.

Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the league and at our all-time roster it's evident that we have had some excellent potential coaching talent in our playing ranks over the years. To me, the most glaring example is Greg Vanney. He wasn't here long, but I clearly remember a post-match interview with him in which he analyzed the game as only a top-flight soccer manager could. Just then I knew he would find his way into the coaching ranks. Josh Wolfe is set to lead Austin FC next season; Ali Curtis is GM in Toronto; John Thorrington (MBA) is GM for LAFC - the list goes on. We had these talents but we soldiered on and let them go elsewhere. To be more fair, we didn't try to lure them back when it was clear we needed more talent in the FO and in the coaching staff.

Dizi, fatbastard, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Listened to the latest Allocation Disorder that discussed the 3 current openings. The consensus was that DCU would go cheap. They speculated that if Ashton got DCU into the playoffs and won a play-in game, he would get a 1 year deal. If not him, the likely pick would be Chris Armas. Tenorio sounded sad because he remembers what DCU was like when he was a kid here and this was his first professional reporting gig. He also threw shade on Kaplan as someone who talks big, but acts cheap. Nothing that we haven't read elsewhere -- they also got a dig in about the security guard issue. The rot here is like those mine fires where a seam of coal burns underground for decades, occasionally venting to the surface a plethora of deadly gas.

22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live feed from the DCU front offices:

Adler, fatbastard, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Speaking of getting fired

Yowza and griffin1108 repped this.
  24. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Goff's latest piece, it sounds like Kasper and Ben are both involved in the search for the next coach.

So that's good news.

[​IMG]

tallguy, Winoman, jjsocr and 1 other person repped this.
  25. jjsocr

jjsocr Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to understand how there isn't a complete sweep of those who have been there for the last 10 plus years. Things won't change without a totally fresh crew from GM down to assistant coaches.

tallguy repped this.