Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Right and that is one of my concerns. Why did he resign from Fire after a good season with them. Was it just pay issues or did he choose not to continue for whatever reason. I would like to know what that reason was. He immediately went to work for NYRB and spent a few years with them. Suspicious. :cautious:

Oh you have to be optimistic. Especially because we can sink no lower. LOL. If the covid doesnt mutate and take us all out, we should have a better season. Have hope. :thumbsup:

2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #777 73Bruin, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    I am always hopeful in my heart, but as a UCLA fan, I have learned to be pessimistic about football (either variety). Probably karmic payback for UCLA's basketball team when I was an undergrad (117 and 3 with 4 NCAA championships). Please be optimistic for both of us.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lucky and spoiled! I was a Bruin undergrad from 98-01 so wasn't so fortunate with the Lavin led teams. The loss to Detroit still stings.

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the names bandied about. I like Dom and Osorio the best. I lean toward Dom because I think anyone coming in from outside is looking to blow up the team again, whereas I think Dom can probably get these guys to play well enough to make the 2021 playoffs with maybe 1-2 good signings to fill some gaps. I might be in the minority in thinking man-for-man the team is not bad; even as is, if we'd tied some games we probably should've won, let alone not lost, we'd be in the playoffs right now.

I'm becoming more and more convinced Klein needs to go before this team will be good again, though. Not that I was ever sold on keeping him, but I'm now starting to doubt the team can even do well in spite of him.

napper, hav77, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t buy the argument that we were almost there. Our -19 goal differential (in only 22 games:eek:) was 23rd out of 24 teams in the league. We weren’t borderline - we were awful.

JPAR, shelbo, El Futbolisimo and 2 others repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Big news !

7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Wait a minute, this comes from a more reliable source :

73Bruin, MPNumber9, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I can dismiss the Mikel Arteta report?

TrickHog repped this.
  9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I don't know if Dom Kinnear is the right coach for the team, but I think about this quote from Zlatan after Kinnear served as interim coach the first time:

Obviously, Kinnear wasn't a miracle worker because he didn't lead the team to the playoffs either time. Plus, there often is a boost when an interim coach comes in simply because it's a different voice and starting players are motivated to retain their spots while reserves see a chance to break through with a new person in charge. Nevertheless, if our ability to really revamp the roster is limited by budget concerns (both last year and about revenues for next year), bringing in someone who knows what we have already, who players like and play hard for, and who might have some ideas about targeted changes rather than just bringing in his guys, could be attractive.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I'm all for Vanney. I believe his contract in Toronto ends next month.

MPNumber9 and Berks repped this.
  11. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  12. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MPNumber9, Berks, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ive said this before but my concern about Dom is that despite having a rep for teaching defense I don’t see much evidence that this is the case.
    Here are his last 3 full years as a head coach (for SJE)
    2105 - 39 goals allowed, +2 goal differential
    2016 - 40 goals allowed, -8 goal differential
    2017 - 60 goals allowed, -21 goal differential
    I don’t know all the issues that were going on at SJ but the team got progressively worse each year he was there. And any defense giving up 60 goals in 34 games is “generationally bad.”

Plus he’s been an assistant for us for awhile now and I can see zero evidence that he has done anything to help organize our defense. I know its mainly the head coach’s job but I would be shocked if Dom hasn’t been given leeway to work with our back line organization, especially since its been so bad for so long. But our players still don’t know the basics of stepping up together, how to coordinate their actions and communicate to provide cover for each other, or even show they know basic man marking.

We also need change just to get the stink of the old regime away from the team. We need to do better.

And yes I would take Vanney in a minute over Dom.

ProudNatRN, MPNumber9, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The 60 goals allowed by SJ was not on Dom. He was fired midway through the season and replaced by Chris Leitch. The Quakes gave up a massive amount of goals under Leitch on the road because Leitch was far more aggressive than Kinnear offensively.

The knock on Dom in SJ was his propensity to play for tie games. “One Point Dom” got his math wrong because not only are ties worth 1/3 of a win, but number of wins is the first tiebreaker when tied on points at the end of the season. As a matter of fact, Leitch had about the same record as Dom in his half of the season, but the Quakes qualified for the playoffs over Dallas because of wins. This despite the fact that SJ was minus 21 on goal differential to Dallas having zero differential.

ProudNatRN, 7E23, The Cadaver and 6 others repped this.
  15. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was basically at the same place two years ago as I am now. I’m ok with Dom taking over as manager. And if I were Vanney, unless Toronto runs me out of town, there’s no way I’d leave to take over the dumpster fire that is the LA Galaxy, baring being offered an absolutely obscene amount of money.

Beirut, TrickHog and JPAR repped this.
  16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be very happy with Dom. It's unfortunate that we can't see any reason to have confidence in our front office. That's bound to narrow our coaching prospects.

The Cadaver, JPAR and TrickHog repped this.
  17. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom is the easiest, laziest choice. So I’m sure Klein will give him the job.

pirozhok, ShortyMac, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm sure the Gs are searching far and wide and leaving no stone unturned.

The Cadaver, TrickHog, MPNumber9 and 4 others repped this.
  19. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klein is just throwing darts at the wall...Tried youth approach with Onalfo - nope. Tried veteran route with Sigi - Nope. Get well known foreign coach! -Nope. Next is let's try proven MLS coach who is on staff.
    There is no plan here, and the organization has no direction, no culture.

I think Dom give us the best chance because he knows MLS and the Galaxy, but will he be allowed to make the changes necessary in the team? Fire Klein!

TrickHog, MPNumber9, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok, hes not responsible for the 60. (I do vaguely remember Leitch’s all O, zero D approach now that you mention it.) But I do know Dom’s worked with our defense for a number of seasons and it remains completely disorganized. Plus “one point Dom” doesn’t excite me, for some strange reason.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also take Greg Vanney in a hot second. Hard to argue with his success in Toronto. Agree with previous poster who says he likely won't take the job.

I'm kinda "meh" about Dom. I like Greg better as a tactician and personnel manager.

MPNumber9, shelbo, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  22. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    I think Dom knows that he's not on the short list. :(

What we should be doing is putting him at the helm of Los Dos.

23. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Junior Gonzalez did well with a very young group of G2s. No reason to mess with that even if Kinnear was willing.

Berks and LEM-LAG repped this.
  24. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    It wasn't an intent on my part to imply that Junior wasn't doing a good job, but I think Dom has more to offer in the area of turning our U-23s into sharp-toothed pros.

It's my opinion and I'll leave it at that.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Vanney out in Toronto. Don't **** it up Galaxy !

7E23, Berks, Geneva and 3 others repped this.