Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because Columbus has Porter and we only have GBS.

2. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]Saw this on reddit. New rules, new opportunity for angst!

7E23, ShortyMac, hav77 and 6 others repped this.
  3. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello? Is this thing on? We are so beaten down we can’t even get up the energy to be angry in this thread. Smh

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The world is such a mess that it is hard to be vehement about how teams play when it is as if after the longest break MLS has ever had teams are asked to pseudo-train at Mouse University for a sudden and never to be repeated tournament set under a sweltering sun, in viscous humidity, beside gators, pythons, crocs, water moccasins, and other creepers and chompers, while getting clobbered by a gaggle of journos, politicos and medicos eager to practice their skillz freshly honed at the Monty Python Institute of Mockery and HaHa.

Although I suppose it's fun trying. ;)

Beakmon FC, hav77 and Vindo310 repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, TOAzer, am I looking at a "Prisoner" shot in your avatar?

Lazy Assed Assassin and TOAzer repped this.
  6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are!

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I am not a number!

TOAzer and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind then, I’ll slink back under my rock... :(

Haha that was pretty good. I hate Florida and I would hate to be there now. And the room service food they were getting was atrocious.

But in a tournament where everyone is out of shape and dealing with the same stuff we look exceptionally bad. Stu Holden was saying how we look like we have no style of play. It looks like people are just sent out there and told do something. It takes a moment of individual brilliance, usually from Pavon, to make something happen.

To me that’s the coaches fault. After this whole thing ends I would love to see a new coach come in.

Berks, TOAzer, JPAR and 3 others repped this.
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    So what I am understanding is that GBS fits the model of superstars being poor coaches because they can't teach the things that are inherently obvious to them.

Berks, skydog, JPAR and 3 others repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what did GBS get right and wrong? I think starting Dunbar (who created 3 chances, including the one leading to the PK) was clearly the right move. I also think the Gordon Wild sub was effective (immediately scored goal called back from VAR, then got an assist). Obviously we lost, but I feel the team did enough to tie or even win and that's backed up by this analysis. We had one of the highest xG of the round, behind only LAFC.

https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2018/9/10/xpg-pt-2
    What did GBS get wrong? Still would like to see better plan / approach to team defense.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my main gripe right there. No commitment to team defense and no commitment to individual defense.

Berks, Beirut, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus our individual defenders make the exact same mistakes game after game and show no signs of improvement.

An example:
    When Rolf initially joined our team his man-marking skills sucked. For example when he faced an opponent's cross to his area he wouldn't attack the ball aggressively nor did he play physical with the guy he was marking. He just kind of stood next to him, hoping he doesn't score.
    Now, after 45 games with the Galaxy, his man-marking skills suck. For example when facing an opponent's cross to his area he doesn't attack the ball aggressively nor does he play physical with the guy he is marking. He just kind of stands next to him, hoping he doesn't score.

hav77, Berks, Beirut and 4 others repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some other thoughts, after looking at some of the WhoScored and Boxscore data:

The most highly utilized players (most touches, most passes) in this match were Lletget, Feltscher, Pipo and Insua. Not a big surprise we didn't utilize the midfield too much with two starters missing.

re: Lletget, there've been lots of lamentations about his lack of form and dynamism in 1v1s. Do people remember criticizing Lletget for not getting his head up enough or dribbling away from danger? In many ways, I think he's a better player today, but his role is different. He was top 3 in passing and #1 is passing accuracy by a margin. He also recovered possession more than anyone. So I believe his primary role is more about maintaining possession than attacking directly.

re: Pipo, seeing how he was utilized in this match, I see why GBS favors him for good or ill. He also helps maintain possession, but he's also a penetrating passer both on the ground and in the air. His long diagonals were key to restarting the attack several times. For Feltscher's other faults, his ability to bring down long balls consistently in stride might be why he keeps getting looks.

hav77 and JPAR repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've always appreciated Rolf's abilities in midfield. He brings some size and skill to the position and is good at combining with teammates to advance the ball. Unfortunately his play falls apart at either end of the field. It's no coincidence that his best performances were when we played a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 and he was played as an outside wing-back/midfielder with reduced defensive responsibilities. Even in those games he was susceptible to getting burned if our opponent overloaded his side of the field.

MPNumber9 and hav77 repped this.
  15. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time... FUERA SCHELOTTO!!!

Berks, skydog and JPAR repped this.
  16. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah..............GBS needs to go. Every time the camera showed him, he was just sitting..............

Berks repped this.
  17. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to go. I appreciate that he has brought in some good Argentinian players but it’s not enough. What I really can’t tell is if DTK should go with him.

ProudNatRN and JPAR repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    GBS needs to go. But the guy who hired him and is killing this franchise needs to go as well.

galvanator, JPAR and ProudNatRN repped this.
  19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m officially done. This is starting to smell a little “Jurgen esque”.

skydog and ProudNatRN repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was ANY sign that ANYTHING was improving, I would be here saying that this stupid season is not an indicator of what GBS can do.

But there isn't.

73Bruin, TOAzer, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  21. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not stopping at GBS, Klein needs to go too.

73Bruin, galvanator, JPAR and 1 other person repped this.
  22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We are seeing Jurgen level incompetence without the Jurgen level malevolent narcissism. Both ruined teams I love; still my loathing is reserved for Jurgen. GBS I wish well -- just not with us.

73Bruin repped this.
  23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Alright screw it, I want Jurgen Klinsmann. He wanted complete control of transfers and we should give it to him. Not like things can get worse and I don’t think he is as bad as people say. He did alright with Hertha.

24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't need the drama. Also if the Gs hire him, I won't be following the club.

skydog, Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please no. This would be the epitome of the LAG "big name" strategy. It's the equivalent of going after Gio or Stevie G based on name recognition rather than what they could do.

Look at it this way. In the last three or four years there have been a number of very successful coaches brought into the league. None of them were named Klinsi. There have to be another 20 or 30 guys out there that could do a very good job, If Atlanta can find them, why can't we? But, no, hire the big name headline grabber and to hell with whether he can coach his way out of a paper sack. Its so much easier than actually doing the spade work necessary to get a good fit.

@Skevin, I can see you are desperate. A lot of us are. But please climb back down off that ledge.

73Bruin, galvanator, hav77 and 5 others repped this.