Fire Stadium Talk

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Sep 21, 2003.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'm only a distant supporter at this point, but I like the South side idea.

Go Fire!
    Go South!

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the "Chicago Fire" is named for the historic event, not the city of Chicago. Didn't know that.

And perhaps the Metrostars are named for the city of Metropolis' stars: Clark Kent and Superman. ;)

4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Bridgeport? Is that a good location for a stadium?

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    right next to US Celluar sounds like a great idea. I've always thought htat I couldn't wait for the day when we had a SSS in the shadow of one of the other "Big 4" sports. I like it, it kind of says, 'We're one of the big boys too.' I'd imagine that location would be pretty prime for transportation too?

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    This site's location would fit any pro-team looking to build a new stadium -- NFL, NBA, MLB. The White Sox stadium is here. The Bears looked into building a stadium here. It's adjacent to a major highway and the El trains, and only 4 miles from the heart of Chicago. It's tough to find this amount of land this close to downtown. Being able to share the White Sox parking is huge as it cuts the land requirements by 80%.

The downside of this site is that it doesn't have the neighborhood trappings of bars and restaurants. Bridgeport to the west is a nice family orriented area -- Da Mayor is from there. But there's not much retail in Bridgeport. A little further west and a bit north is Pilsen which is the heart of the Mexican community in Chicago. To the east is a pretty rough area with extensive housing projects.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read that the Chicago Housing Authority has demolished many of the high rise housing project buildings in the South Side. Are they just replacing them with low rise housing projects?

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! Bridgeport is my home town! Bridgeport is definitely an up and coming neighborhood. The real estate prices have been skyrocketing in recent years, and it is more and more often being referred to as "Bridgeport Village". Though, it should be noted that pershing(39th St.) is actually considered the southern border of Bridgeport. Anything south of 39th is considered Canaryville, which is mostly industrial.

This is correct, though some still remain, they are all marked for demolition(and surely will be before 2007). Also, those buildings(and the rough area in general) are on the other side of the express way.

Well, it's a little complicated, but (very)basically the city's plan is to integrate lower income housing into neighborhoods throughout the city without actually sectioning off areas like traditional projects.

9. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Appropriate!

As a partial Hyde Park resident, let me just say that I wholly approve of said south-side location. I will most likely be long gone from the south side by the time such a stadium could be put in, but I would be proud to return to that area to support a new home for the Fire

additional note to those of you hooligans out there: This location should keep most people out of trouble... as long as you're not a hobo or not waving a gun at anyone, then the authorities tend to leave you alone (or even congratulate you for being one of the few pedestrians who is not waving a gun around). <-- that might not be the exact case in this neighborhood, but I speak from experience on the southside CTA... Red and Green lines.

10. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they pick Bridgeport as the site for the "FIREHOUSE" does that mean the stadium could be built in time for the 2006 season, or perhaps for the 2005 season.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an incredible story. Do you think the Fire are actually "important" enough that this could happen? I guess Wilt thinks so.

12. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    For clarification, to the best of my knowledge the area described is actually South Armour Square. Bridgeport likes to the NW of Armour Square.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, the proposed site is in bridgeport. Bridgeport extends south to 39th St. which is essentially the Bridgeport/Canaryville border.

14. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Dear Peter,

If that stadium ends up in Bridgeport I will get treat you to dinner at Gibsons. we will be surrounded by beautiful sexy women reapeating the phrase "you are a handsome as well as powerful man!" as we eat dinner. Now there is some incentive for ya ;)

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's motivation!

16. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    How does this work with the northern suburbs? Sounds pretty positive given access to Dan Ryan and the El.

But what kind of "commute" is this? 1/2 hour? 45 minutes?

17. Swede

Swede New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Chicago IL
    The commute would be similar to the commute to Soldier Field! For some it'll be shorter and for some longer, otherwise pretty close to the same.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I guess it depends on what Northern suburb...

But really, for most folks that wouldn't be immediately adjacent to the stadium, it's going to e the same as a trip to SF, if not faster for the mass transit set as the el stop is literally right there and not 1/3 of a mile away as at SF.

19. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Let's not get too excited yet. We already knew that the Fire was going to receive a bid from the city of Chicago in addition to the suburban locations. Now we know where the Chicago site is, but we still don't know anything about the financial arrangements. Other things being equal, practically any city location was going to be better than the suburban alternative. Problem is, other things are never equal.

20. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Appropriate!

I couldn't agree more. I'll be leaving Hyde Park and the southside in 2007, so I'd love to have them right there for at least one year.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Bridgeview I guess would work, but putting the ground near Pilsen would be a good thing.

22. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I think I heard somewhere that there are 750,000 Hispanics living within 15 minutes of the Bridgeview site.

While the location of the Chicago site has now been announced, the city of Chicago likely isn't ponying up the same kind of cash that the burbs are. The burbs are probably falling over themselves trying to get the stadium. What does the city need with another stadium, however? Where are the incentives? Daley probably felt a little singed by the bad publicity regarding $432 million dollars of taxpayer money going to the Bears, er, the new monstrosity, er, New Soldier Field. I don't see a big reason for him to really want the same thing with a soccer stadium. Which means that city funds will be severely limited. I don't see the city forking over 70% of the cost of the stadium. We have to find compelling reasons. It might be too late, as the bids are already in, but it's never too late to try.

23. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Actually, I see another angle here. A Fire stadium in the same general vicinity as the Sox Park could be a way for Daley to channel more commercial development to the area, which would benefit the Sox (and the city) as well. If he were able to piggyback it on the stadium deal itself, it overcomes a bunch of hurdles in one fell swoop.

Just a thought.

Later,
    COZ

24. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a 40-50 million dollar stadium in Bridgeview. City gives the fire the land, and 10-15 million, and Anschutz's uses the cash from the Rapids sale to cover the rest of the construction costs. Sounds good to me.

25. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    The Bridgeport location is brilliant. I hope the city of Chicago and AEG can agree to a deal that gets the stadium built there.