Fire Sign Youth Development Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by theburden, Sep 23, 2003.

1. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    "Chicago Fire general manager Peter Wilt has signed a deal to expand the club's foothold in youth development by bringing West Michigan Edge soccer club on board.
    Effective immediately, the West Michigan Edge (WME) will become the Official Academy Program for the Chicago Fire in West Michigan, Kalamazoo, Lansing and Traverse City. The agreement marks the first of its kind in the United States."

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=912

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
  3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Nevermind. It's jointly with the Juniors/Academy/Reserves, not in place of it.

4. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    I do not understand why the Fire would partner with a club that to put it mildly, was asked to leave the Super Y League.

www.nationalsoccerranking.com doesn't even have the Michigan Edge on the radar. Not their older teams U13+, and certainly not their younger teams U12-. I know its not about rankings, its about development.

Hell, even Ajax has a presence in the States in Orlando, FL. So, I guess anything is plausible.

If the MLS does not partner with the Top Clubs in America, the EPL, La Liga, etc might.

5. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Oh, I dunno--I think it's important for MLS clubs, as they start to reach out, to leave the BIGGEST or one of the biggest clubs in a given area alone--afterall, say the Detroit area--from what I remember, they have 2 big clubs--Vardar and Michigan Wolves. It might be wise for the Fire to affiliate with a club that is less omnipresent. Why? It would let those successful clubs continue to do what they are doing pretty well--developing youth players. Also, if the Fire affiliates with a smaller club, once the Fire Dev. club is established in their own right, they haven't sucked up the entire talent pool --read:competition-- in the area. It's not good for anyone to have one place that sucks up every last bit of talent. I think that's why the Magic and Sockers are BOTH so good--they compete against each other (and I guess even team up at the oldest age groups).

To involve a small club into the development fold where "big" clubs already exist is the way to go, in my opinion. The competitve dynamic would work like this: Big established clubs are envious that they aren't picked as affiliate, envy make them work harder. Little club now affiliated nervous to have to perform well to keep affiliation. Nervousness make them wok harder. Good for USA soccer.

6. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    Sorry, I don't buy it. The Fire Academy's mission from their own web page is ......

"The Fire Academy will work in conjunction with the area's top youth soccer clubs to supplement the training that the area's best players are currently receiving throughout the year at their club.

The mission of the Fire Youth Academy program is to: Identify players of exceptional ability ...in a professionally directed and managed year-round Academy program that is designed to assist in the development of soccer excellence."

What you stated is exactly why soccer in the states is so far behind other countries. I believe soccer needs what is in the mission statement above. Now you may not "buy-it" but then again I am not trying to sell tickets in the short term.

I thought the Academy was to augment the training of the top 3% youth players. Much like what other countries do. Focusing on a "competitive dynamic".....well I dunno. I believe it is settling for something....something much less.