Fire Sign Arne Friedrich

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by shooter6065, Mar 7, 2012.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We need a tall striker, we are signing a 32 year-old defender with back problems. He brings physical baggage with a crap load of club and international experience.

Could be a great signing. But back problems? those rarely seem to go away....

Is it just me or does Klopas have a blind spot at striker? Like Wenger with goalkeepers and central defenders, Klopas really has trouble finding strikers and lets face it we got lucky with Oduro.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/03/fire-sign-german-centerback-friedrich.html

2. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey... remember Lubos Kubik? I think the key in this league is still quality defense and if a cat like this can anchor us with his ability to distribute out of the back then we just became a contender..

3. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember Kubik well. It is just the back problems that have me a bit worried.

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Friedrich and Gibbs, most fragile center back tandem in the world?

This guy is (was?) good but it concerns me that Wolfsburg were willing to cut ties so quickly.

5. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So we have all these young centerbacks and they are just gonna sit? Can Friedrich play RB? If not, I am not sure how much this move makes sense as we have 3 promising centerbacks on the roster.

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He has played most of his career at right back, but he has been a center back for a few years now.

7. Schnapfster

Schnapfster New Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Essen, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, he played RB in the Euro Championship 2008 against Portugal (and i think other matches too). He made Ronaldo look like a poor child.
    Most time played in Berlin as RB.
    Though i think hes too slow now...

8. Firefox

Firefox Member

Aug 24, 2005
    South Elgin, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think this ends the Bocanegra rumours, at least from the Fire's perspective.

9. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at 32, I think this kid still has legs and maybe our less taxing season relative to what he is used to gives his back some rest. Creating a Solid spine.. of Andre, Grazzini and Oduro could be a hell of a nucleus to build around.

10. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We are probably going to need him at RB. Capped 82 times by Germany.........do you know how good you have to be to be capped 82 times by a country like Germany? Very, very good.

Wonder if he has taken a physical yet, wonder if he is truly healthy or just looking for 1 last paycheck........dude has not played in a long time, could take months and months to get match fit.

11. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Spending a lot of money on defenders in MLS is flat out stupid. Good defenders are a dime a dozen. If we are paying this guy anything more than 250 and if he's going to be playing defense, then this is money that should be spent on a striker.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats on signing Arne.

If you can keep him fit I think he's still good enough for MLS. He's got experience but is not the fastest guy out there anymore.

That's why Löw switched him from RB to CB before WC 2010. And I dont think he's still fast enough to play RB even in MLS.

13. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Even in MLS? Either he can or can't play RB. If he's not good enough for the Bundesliga, he won't be good enough for MLS, has beens have never performed well in MLS. See Lothar Matthaus.

14. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. I'd prefer a striker, but this signing makes me happy too. 12 more days!

15. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Pros: We really got nothing to lose, other than cap space we probably weren't going to use anyway. Like last year.

Cons: I thought our aging veteran injury prone quota was full, guess not.

The question will be, is having Friedrich better than having Wilman Conde? That will determine if this move is a success in my eyes, if he has a better season than Conde.

17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why is the Fire pandering to German Americans?

;)

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, even in MLS. There is a difference. Especially in the speed of the game.

Compared to others who went to MLS Arne never has been a "has been". And Henry did perform well, didnt he? Arne largely played those 82 caps cause at the beginning of his career the German team had no other Vollpfosten for RB and someone like him was seen as a "talent". Then later Löw picked him for his experience -not for his performances at Wolfsburg- that others in the young German team of 2010 didnt have. If he was 10 years younger, he wouldnt have that much caps in the German team of today.

Anyway, I think he's a good CB pick for a MLS team and for you.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey folks,

I read earlier in the pre-season that Anibaba was moving to central defense. How has looked so far this year? Do you see him moving back to right back?

20. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    No shit their is a difference, the Bundesliga is much better. You're missing my point. Henry went back to Arsenal this winter, on loan, and performed, he can still play in the EPL if he wanted to. Same with Robbie Keane. If Friedrich cannot play at the Bundesliga level he will be a huge disappointment here, since we're not expecting an average defender.

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he can recover from his injuries I think he'll do just fine for you guys. He's a quality player.

22. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Anibaba was playing CB at the end of last year. He looked FAR better there than at RB where he looked poor.

23. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    After reading Frank's comments it looks like he is in shape and went through a battery of tests, he is Bocanegra's age. If he is healthy, then a HELL of a pickup.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, way for people to crap all over the guy, while most admit to having never seen him play. I also have not seen him play for a while, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Radmonkey, you nailed it with your comments.

My only problem.
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/201...arne-friedrich
    "Hailing from Bad Oeynhausen, Germany"
    Couldn't the Fire sign a guy from "Good Oeynhausen"?!?. :eek:

P.S. Yes, I know "Bad" means "Bath" in German and that Bad Oeynhausen is a famous spa area in Germany. It was a joke.

25. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    He'll bring his spear and magic helmet.

[​IMG]