Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsocr

jjsocr Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first I thought about some of those names but there is such a big difference in coaching college and pro. Both in the type of players and also rules are very different. Someone who coaches or has coached college successfully and has other coaching experience in addition to college could work. Don't know if that applies to many current college coaches but it might - just don't know myself.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

formation are a part of tactics, not the whole thing but a part.

3. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    What's hotter than a scalding hot seat?

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lava enema?

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also. I think Ben is actually regressing as a manager-- as impossible as that seems. It really does seem he's losing the clubhouse entirely and the only approach we've ever seen from him in dealing with players who rub him the wrong way is to bench them.

7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Forget it.
    Remember, the wand chooses the wizard.

What self-respecting wand would choose to work with this particular assemblage?

Hedbal, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  8. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    My buds and I used to play a game called "corners." Those playing each put $5 into a hat. Each time there's a corner kick in the game, the hat is passed to the next person. Person holding the hat at the end of the game keeps the money.

Who wants to play "BS Posts?" Those playing put up $5, and whomever has the last post on this Big Soccer thread at the time Ben is fired gets to keep the $$$.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did this at almost every DCU game for the past decade or so. But $1 instead of $5 - so if the person holding the money at halftime decided to give up on United and go home, the rest of you wouldn't be out that much $$ :D

UnitedBorn, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    There's a direct relationship between how bad his posture gets and how much more he looks like a chav or russian delinquent in an adidas tracksuit and how bad of a coach he is.

JRHokie repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as he starts smoking on the sidelines, we know it is over.

seriously...how did he not resign this weekend?

Doogh and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep saying this, but it doesn't make it make any more sense.

WTF would anyone resign from a well-paying job without another one already accepted. Especially with labor laws and contracts written the way they are - you lose out on so much when you resign vs being fired. It's just personally dumb to do so in most cases.
    You want to resign because your boss is a shithead or doing terrible things you do not want to be associated with, that's one thing. But because some random un-paid folks on the internet think for some reason it indicates pride or whatever is not good enough for me ....... let management do their jobs, don't do it for them.

For pete's sake though, do not toss your lit cigarette onto any fake-grass fields :) Or anywhere in Ca. or Or. ;)

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Besides it's not the American way. If it became our way to do this, there is a good number of people in this country I'd have resign their job before Ben Olsen.

Dizi, bigredfutbol, fatbastard and 3 others repped this.
  14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen would resign if DCU said, "take the money, resign, and move on" as that's the way it's always been done. We all know that the team has no interest in speding one extra dollar so he will be fired after the last once of value (not much there) can be had from his contract.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    No coach resigns with games remaining on their contract unless they have something better lined up. He's got a year left on his deal. I will believe it when I see it, Levien spending the $$$ yo buy him out. Don't forget almost anyone credible will cost more than Olsen unless they go with a lower league or college no name guy. Besides, pretty much every STM who is re-upped for next year is re-upped, not like a ton of us are hanging I'd wager. They have to know with the way this year's payments were applied to next year, that next years STM base is 95% done. Not like he's gonna have 10,000 no shows on Saturday.

shawn12011 repped this.
  16. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

/endthread

marek, Eastern Bear and UnitedBorn repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hells, yeah! Closed.

marek repped this.