Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This is how I envision the start of our next pre-season ...

UnitedBorn, JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have suggested it several times to the disbelief of others here. He would come in a heartbeat if the money were decent (500kish). I met him while he was here and the guy is a 100% pro. Despite his injuries here he was a fitness freak.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he has stopped by at Olivanders to pick up a magic wand that will turn this crap pile of a roster into a winner???? :rolleyes:

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, I never would have guessed that.

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    #2905 John L, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Gallardo was sidelined here with that dreaded athletic hernia. He just couldn't go on extended runs and couldn't get over it here. And then he went back home to River Plate. And gosh he played well for a 2nd half. And then another. And then he couldn't anymore. He never fully got over that injury.

And then he started coaching in Uruguay. And eventually back to River Plate. And winning the Copa Libertadores.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Gallardo mainly from his "posse", a small group of guys that was always near him. Of all the interesting folks going thru DCU, I only really remember him and Stoichkov having their own "posse". Both sets were fancy dressers, Stoichkov's in scary-looking darker suits mostly, reminiscent of mob movies; Gallardo's folks were much more colorful/fun-looking.

7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    While it might be debatable how much bigger winning the Argentine Primera is vs MLS Cup, but the Copa Libertadores has to be bigger than either MLS Cup or US Open Cup. I can't see leaving 1 of Argentina's galactico teams to come to MLS. A nice run at River could lead him to coaching the national team. Argentina doesn't bring in foreigners and I am not sure that even a successful run in MLS holds much water with Argentines

dadman, Adler, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, would that it were so! If he would come for $500k I would consider it a bargain. And high-quality players would want to join him here, at a cost of several times $500k, so it seems unlikely that our current cheap ownership would consider starting the process.

bigredfutbol, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Hah.
    And in Hristo's case, he took care of the leg-breaking himself, personally. None of this "you and Niko-- go get it done" bullcrap.
    Gotta love a boss willing to roll up his sleeves and get his hands-- or rather, cleats-- dirty.

song219 and shawn12011 repped this.
  10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2910 tallguy, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Probably a very good indication that Olsen thinks his players, taken as a whole, aren't good enough to play heads-up with just about every other team in the league. He has a point. Anyway, Olsen has to be toast after this season if he doesn't take United to the conference finals - and even that may not be enough.

But, firing Ben isn't enough. The ownership has to bring in a new general manager and director of player personnel. If I were Levien, I'd start off by placing a call to Garth Largerway and asking him what his price is.

TowsonDad, Eastern Bear, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love Garth. Got a chance to sit down with him and had hour long conversation about soccer. Loved it.

TowsonDad, Winoman, GumbyG and 1 other person repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Doubt Lagerwey is going anywhere, but he's someone to talk to about possible up and comers around the league. Remember when Garth was the color commentator on DCU matches? "Sweet creamery butter" was a great tagline. He got his start at RSL working at my wife's law firm. They handled the change in ownership way back when. RSL was so impressed with his work, they hired him and, as they say, the rest is history.

dadman, bigredfutbol, Doogh and 4 others repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conference Finals gets him a new contract. You know that.

tallguy repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when he was on the broadcast team, and his blog - the Lager Way.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, for this team, reaching the Conference Finals is about as likely as landing Talon on the International Space Station in an Elon Musk spacecraft..

griffin1108 repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Love the idea, but practically speaking, he's not going anywhere and we'd never hit the asking price, assuming he was even willing to answer the phone. I doubt we'd even get one of his assistants past the sniffing butt stage of negotiations. Whomever it would be, would know all of DCU's warts in advance. They'd know Levien and Kaplan don't have the cash reserves to actually be a winner in MLS. We should be more practical and start looking at the more successful front offices in USL for someone who wouldn't be in a position to demand a big salary and transfer budgets.

A new GM and/or coach isn't enough anyway. A new owner with actual money is what we need. People love to point at teams like Philly, Columbus, etc who play attractive soccer and win on a budget but if you look at the last 5 years, those teams have very similar finishes to ours.

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have more craft breweries, who make beer with higher ABVs, than Utah does --- that has to be a start in negotiations :D

Winoman and Adler repped this.
  19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he wouldn't. But, unless you ask you'll never know for sure. And, it would be worthwhile to find out what preconditions a guy like Largerway would demand.

Winoman repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Someone like Lagerway is in the position to ask for an ownership stake in any move from Seattle. Not happening here, nor would it for anyone else in that competence group. You need to find an up and comer who has a new "idea" like Beane in Oakland years ago. Might crash and burn, probably likely that it will. But at least it would be different.

21. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: DC United :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:2020 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Conference Finals:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Book it . . .
    :thumbsup:

Yeah, right
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This team can't even get the ********ing gameday roster right.

Winoman and onefineesq repped this.
  23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben is what the French call les incompetents.

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  24. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His coaching is indefensible. I was willing to give him the rest of the season, but no longer.
    OLSEN OUT - PIPA IN!!!

griffin1108 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. jjsocr

jjsocr Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A formation is not tactics. They are a starting point for how you implement whatever tactics yo might have - if you have any :) and yes they can be bad tactics too as we are seeing all too often. When you think it cannot get worse - tonite was bottom.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.