Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't reject the transfer/sale. They're prevented from transferring/selling Kelman due to a transfer ban. They would have loved to get the money to pay the back taxes they owe the British government.

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof. That's definitely something.

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2828 GumbyG, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    It's a reasonable concern, but certainly not a given. And, again, how would that make things worse? I want a coach that doesn't care about making the playoffs.

Because MLS accepts half the teams into the playoffs, "smart" coaches are rewarded for grinding out ugly results against in-conference competition. It does you no good to park the bus at home against someone two spots ahead of you in the table to deny that team 2 points if only the top 4 teams make the playoffs. That won't get you there. As it is, we rely too much on math to determine the strategy rather than focusing on building a consistent style and trying to play it.

Personally, I'd prefer to give a top NCAA coach a shot. It's taken Porter a while, but he's accomplished some good things. They understand youth development and coaching players into a system- which are two elements that DCU will need to concentrate on in the near and medium term. Everybody gets a first chance, and I don't see why we shouldn't be a team to give it to them.

Edit: While we're at it, add talent identification to the list of things that make a good NCAA coach.

Yowza repped this.
  4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I think you're wrong here. He's got no one creating to play off of. Filipe has never been viewed as a creator in this league and he's out now. Gressel is off on his own out on the wing serving balls to a guy who can't finish dinner this year let alone a gilded goal scoring opportunity.

If you plucked him off this roster and dropped him on LAFC, Portland, Seattle, Toronto he'd score half a dozen goals and set up 15. Any other top third team in either conference he'd score 3-5 and set up at least 10,

ImNumberTen repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    A transfer ban only prevents a club from registering new players. They could promote from the youth team and reserves. They can absolutely sell. Most likely they can't afford to sell because they can't replace him.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not saying he has support but the truly great ones still manage to lift their teammates up no matter what level they are.

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because all good things regress at DCU. Why? Hmmmm.....maybe it is the coaching and tactics?

TowsonDad, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why yes Ashton sucks................:D

jjsocr and fatbastard repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gressel is not a truly great one. Maybe five players in MLS as a whole have that effect. That doesn't mean that he isn't a top player given other players that can work with him.

GumbyG repped this.
  10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm beginning to suspect that if we changed the title of this thread to "Give Olsen a Paid Sabbatical and Try Someone New" we'd reach consensus quickly.

Hedbal, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we need an Etch, Jaime or a Gomez. Having only a Harkes, Sannah or a Maesner will leave us where we are.

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those players will come to our shitshow now. That’s the problem. We are not in a position to get those players because of our coaching, play, and FO. To attract good players you need to have something that makes the club attractive for them because money is available elsewhere.

Nothing about us is attractive and based on what we saw with Rooney it can’t be fixed with one player.

bigredfutbol, sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% agree about the FO. Until you fix that there is no point in fixing the rest.

14. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Sorry, after his 20 plus years with the club you can't separate Ben from the front office. Over the past couple of years ownership has been spending a decent amount of money on the roster. One has to assume that at this point Ben has enough influence over player acquisition to be held accountable for the results. Or, after 20+ years he still hasn't earned enough trust to heavilly influence player acquisition. Either case is cause for termination.

jjsocr repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will type slowly so you understand. Kasper buys the players...............Ashton gives them the tactics. Ben is a figurehead.

That is all. :)

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep saying that. Over and over. Do you know something we don’t? Ben has been coach for over a decade and is essentially as importantly as Talon? I doubt it.

A coach takes responsibility.

I’d take Ted Lasso at this point. His sports psychology is next level.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have been to practice. Ben plays with the boys, Ashton coaches them. So yes I know something you don't.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is damning. The manager of our team allows someone else to coach his players into a style that can barely get a shot on goal. That he feels this preferable to actually coaching the team himself, tells you all you need to know about his level of confidence and competence regarding his own ability.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Or Shawn has only been to one or two practices and is trying to paint a picture with little details.

Im not sure Ben would do his best coaching work when the press and outsiders are watching.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will defend Shawn here -- I have heard the same thing, numerous times, from different sources. Cant verify it myself, but that is the story being told. But again, I do not see how that is an acceptable defense of Ben. It suggests that his skills as a teacher of the game are WORSE than those of the person who puts together the absolute slop that we see on the field each week -- and that he KNOWS it.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 10 years I don't know if you think that this is a badge of honor. It is pathetic and if he is unwilling to take ownership of this train wreck bring in someone else.

shawn12011, Yowza, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  22. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man...reading this post and knowing these names takes me back to better days.

Winoman repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is the reason I am willing to replace Ben but if done correctly. Not with some MLS retread or overhyped Euro/SA coach.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I have said before watch when a guy gets subbed in. Ashton brings notes or a white board over and talks his flawed tactics with him, then when he is done Ben pats him on the ass and says go get em!

25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Any replacement would be at worst a lateral move. Not sure why you’re so afraid. Olsen is literally that bad.

sitruc, Winoman and benni... repped this.