fire news 4/15

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Apr 15, 2006.

1. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Trib says Nate off the bench, Not Nate says Nate starts. And with Armas dressed an available off the bench, we could see the most rarest of all Fire phenomena -- Chris as a sub. It's only happened three times in 212 matches. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that only Peter Nowak had a higher percentage of games started over games played (um, 100%, which is what I suspected), once you pass a certain minimum of matches. Zach had four non-starts in his career. Peter, anybody I'm missing?

Yeah, I'm geeking out on Fire history this week. Sue me.

Later,
    COZ

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Kenn Tommasch lite? ;)

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    pretty sure Piotr came in as a sub in one game.

peter

4. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Open Cup maybe? Because MLS has him 134 for 134.

Later,
    COZ

5. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    That appears right. Scaryice's line-up database has him 133 for 133 in league and playoff games and 8 for 9 in Open Cup play.

Other notables: Okaroh went 58 for 58 in league and playoff games and 3 for 3 in Open Cup. As of the start of this season, the only other never-a-sub players w/ 10+ appearances in league & playoffs were Guerrero (29 for 29) and Segares (24 for 24).

6. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    THAT'S right! vs. Stingers at the Hive...Bob tried to get by without him, but we needed him - and an amazing bike by Diego and a GREAT breakaway save by Scott Coufal - to advance on the way to the 1998 US Open Cup crown.

peter

7. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    That must be pretty unusual for a rookie (Gonzalo) to come in as a starter and never see a game as a sub as most rookies' pro debuts are as subs. Any other players in the League have more than 26 straight appearances exclusively as starters at the beginning of their pro careers?

peter

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Ignoring goalkeepers, it looks like the all-time leader is Nick Garcia who now has 190 league and playoff appearances without a single sub-in (one sub appearance in an Open Cup game, though). He's far ahead of whoever is in second place; I think that's Eddie Pope at 89. Segares is definitely in good company, though. The guys ahead of him are mostly high-quality.

From a Fire perspective, Bocanegra made 27 regular season starts as a rookie in 2000 before subbing into a playoff game; CJ Brown started his MLS career with upwards of 150 starts, but he had previous A-League experience, IIRC.

The Excel file I've been looking at is available here. My impression is that it's been put together very carefully.
    http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2005/11/mls-lineup-database.html

9. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    thx. good 411

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Thanks for posting this, because it made me realize that Nowak should have 20 playoff starts. I had given one of his to Kovalenko by accident (but only on the overall stats tab, both on the CHI and OVERALL files). It's corrected now.