Fire news 3/28/20

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just reading that Supporter's Shield story, what (if anything) does a Supporter's Shield winning side get? I like that the U.S. Open Cup winner gets a place in CONCACAF Champion's League as well as MLS Cup winner but as the story says, choosing the best team over 34 games is more accurate than a playoff system. I know the Supporter's Shield winning side also gets a berth in the same competition but really what else can they get? It seems like MLS HQ is not too keen on the Supporter's Shield am I wrong?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Thank god they’re not because I put in bold a fallacy that gets repeated and should be challenged.

3. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well I gathered the Supporter's Shield was invented by Europhiles and I am indifferent to it because it makes no sense to have it when there are playoffs and no pro/rel here. I prefer the way other countries do the pro/rel thing because not only are people playing for trophies at the top but Champions League berths at top then Europa League in the top/middle and to not be relegated at the bottom so there's more excitement for fans at all levels of the table. There will be no pro/rel here ever I predict.

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I would fully support pro/rel if it ever showed up. That said, it’s a completely different discussion from single table.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  5. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed, but a lot of owners have recently paid a lot of money to get into MLS. We'll maybe see pro/rel 5 years after expansion ends.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised if the owners ever vote in pro/rel. They are not going to risk the financial disaster being relegated would mean.

chiladd, bunge and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.